• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

In Searching: Finding Out The Truth (Left Behind Series Fanfic #2)

jasmine_childoftheking

Feb 26, 2024
Oregon
✟17,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
[As a lot of you may already know, I've finished the first Left Behind series fanfic. Now on to the second, where the characters will be searching to find out the truth. The prologue is a review of what gone on before and the first chapter will pick up where the last one left off. Again, I don't own any of the Left Behind characters. They all belong to Jerry B. Jenkins and Tim Lahaye. I only own my oc's. Hope you enjoy]

Prologue

Robert had been called to work on a flight to London. It seemed to a smooth flight. Then, while over the Atlantic halfway between the U.S and the U.K, dozens of passengers on the plane disappeared. With the other airports shut down until further notice, Captain Rayford Steele announced that they were turning back to Chicago.
They landed in Chicago, many of the passengers had to go through the emergency tubes while many of the flight crew walked to the terminal. Robert tried to call his roommate at his apartment complex but couldn't get through. He watched on the TV screen at the airport that the disappearances was all over the world. Then he saw first officer Chris Smith being wheeled out, indicating he had killed himself. Robert wondered if he would be Ray's new co-pilot. Though he felt he wasn't up to it.
Ashton had been with the Chicago Police department and was working night shift the night the disappearances happened. Now with that, it would keep the police forces busy with figuring out who was missing and how many.
Ashton met with Robert at the airport, who gave him a ride to his apartment complex. They've talked over things about what happened, and what theories were out there.
Lucille had been a student at University of South Chicago. Then dozens of students and a few professors have disappeared, including Elain and Addi. It seemed that classes were not going to start anytime soon.
After talking with Robert, Josiah, and Molly, and telling them that Elain and Addi had disappeared, Lucille drove to her parents home in Mount Prospect. There. she found her parents and younger brother and sister have disappeared. She even wondered if they were right, as Elain and Addi were.

Josiah was working double shift at the hospital in Arlington. When the disappearances happened, he saw that the nursery beds in the labor and delivery apartment were empty. So were quite a few hospital staff uniforms in piles.
He went to his parents home in Mount Prospect, which was almost like a mansion. There, he saw his parents clothing. He tried to call Nathan, but got an answer from one of his college mates, who told him he had disappeared. He also tried to call Addi, but no answer. He got a call from Lucille, who told him that Addi had disappeared. He went to his apartment to check things out, and saw that even the manager have disappeared. Then he went back to the hospital, and got back to work. But he wondered what good would work do now.

Everett had been dozing off and on that fateful night. He woke up, and was in for a surprised that his parents, his older sister Alicia, and little brother and sister, Ronnie and Gracie, have disappeared.
Everett turned on the TV, and saw the news report that people have vanished all over the world. While the news report weren't sure what to make of it, Everett knew what happened. Jesus had come to take His followers, and he had been left behind. He called New Hope Village Church but a got a recording message from Bruce, saying that there was a video that Pastor Billings made, and it was either on DVD or on an USB flash drive. Everett thought it might be something to check out.

Aneurin had been hanging out with his friends, where they wind up in a diner. He had dozed off in the lounge. When he woke up, there was a lot of startling going on. He saw that many have disappeared, including the diner guy. They've watched TV, and saw that there were reports of millions vanishing and of suicide around the world.

Aneurin looked up New Hope Village Church on his iPhone, and called the number. He got the recording message from Bruce, saying that there was a video that Pastor Billings made. Aneurin thought perhaps that could give some explanation, even though he knew what was happening.

Santiago have been home, dozing off and on. When he woke up, there was no sound. Then he found out why: his parents and little brother and sister have disappeared. He had always felt there was something missing. Perhaps this was it.

He called New Hope Village Church where he had attended youth group and got the recorded message, the same that Everett and Aneurin each got. Santiago wondered if Bruce might know something, and if Pastor Billings have something to say in his video. He was sure to find out.

Molly had been home, and dozed off and on as well. The phone rang, and she got up to answered it. It was one of Carl's assistants, Ivy Gold, from the Global Weekly, calling for Carl. After talking with the Global Weekly, Molly went to wake up Carl and Donna. Then she discovered that they have disappeared. Then she went to Oliver's room, and saw he had disappeared. She turned on the TV and saw it was all over the world. She tried to call her brother Samuel, and found out he had disappeared too. Then Molly called Lucille, who told her that Elain had disappeared. Then she thought of two other brothers, Robert and Aneurin, and her uncle Dirk.

Molly was beside herself. What could she do? She felt scared as well, with her mom and dad gone. Now with no knowing where two of her brothers, whom she assumed have not disappeared, were, she felt alone.

All of these individuals had no idea what to do. Soon, they would meet up, with Robert, Aneurin, and Molly reuniting, and found out the answers to all what had happened together.

Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. I Corinthians 15:51-52

[The prologue is bit a flash back of what happened before. The first chapter for this will pick up where the last one left off]

Last edited:

jasmine_childoftheking

Feb 26, 2024
Oregon
✟17,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chapter I

Robert Burton had been at his apartment for a while. He needed to find out about Oliver, Aneurin, and Molly, and his mother and father. He decided to call his uncle Dirk in London and apologize for not making the flight all the way there. Robert got out his iphone, and dialed Dirk. He let it ring, and Dirk answered.

"Robert", Dirk said in his Welsh accent.

"Uncle Dirk", said Robert, "I want to apologize for not making the flight all the way through to London. We've had bit a problem about people disappearing around the world you've probably heard about."

"Oh, I think most everyone did. I'm glad you're still here. But what about my big brother, your father? I've tried to call him, but couldn't get through. Was he one of those who disappeared?"

"That's what I'm going to need to find out, as well as about my mother and Oliver, and Aneurin and Molly. I've tried to call Samuel and Elain, but they have disappeared."

"I'm sorry to hear that. You heard about a man from Eastern Europe?"

"I saw that he's from Romania. I think he's a member of the lower parliament."

"Oh yes, though I think he just became President of Romania or is going to be if he hasn't yet."

"You've got to be kidding."

"Oh, as I've told your father and my friend Buck, the journalist, that something is brewing. Keep watching the news, Robert. Story goes that Romania's new president is going to come to the United Nations. It's going to be something."

"I'll keep an eye on it."

Dirk and Robert said goodbye and they hanged up. Well, at least Uncle Dirk hasn't disappeared. Robert wondered if he should go to London to see him or wait awhile until they were any more flights available.

Everett Marshall decided to check out the videos that Bruce mentioned on the recorded answering machine. In the meantime, he drove by Santiago's house, whom he knew from youth group at New Hope Village Church.

"Hey, would you like a ride to New Hope Village Church?", asked Everett, "I'm heading that way."

"Sure", said Santiago, "I was about to head there too. I've been thinking a lot about what that youth pastor has been saying."

"So have I. Come on."

Santiago got in Everett's car, and he started driving to New Hope Village Church. Though he figured it could be a while until traffic cleared up, if ever. Fires were still ablaze in the neighborhood. Everett noticed a diner, and decided to stop for a moment. He thought he saw Aneurin Burton standing outside. Everett pulled over, stopped the car, rolled down his window.

"Hey, you heading for New Hope Village Church?", asked Aneurin.

"Yes", said Everett, "Santiago and I are heading that one. I think Bruce Barnes said something about a video that Pastor Billings made."

"Yes, I've heard it on the recorded answering machine. Could you give me ride?"

"Yes, sure thing."

Aneurin got in Everett's car, and he drove to New Hope Village Church. On the way, they began to discuss about the disappearances, and what they make of what happened.

"That video might explain something", said Everett, "You've heard of the Rapture, right?"

"I remember the youth pastor talking about that", said Santiago, "So is that what happened?"

"Yes. Jesus was come and take away His followers to Heaven."

"But why weren't we taken if we've grown up going to church?"

"I knew the Word and message. Though I've learned the hard way that knowing and believing are two different things."

"Are they?", asked Aneurin.

"Yes. I've realized that I've been living a lie and I'm not proud of it."

Everett continued to drive to New Hope Village Church and they started to talk more.

Vicki Byrne and Lionel Washington arrived at New Hope Village Church, meeting with Bruce Barnes, Judd Thompson, Jr, and Ryan Daley. Bruce took the four of them into a small office where he had set up a DVD player and a TV.

“You’re not going to understand everything the pastor says,” Bruce said, “but still you’ll be astounded that he knows what’s going on, even though he’s gone. More important, you need to know that I have the same story you do. I lost my wife and my young children. They disappeared from their beds, and I knew immediately that I had been living a lie. I had been to Bible college and was a pastor, but I always thought I could get by, living for myself and never making the decision to receive Christ. Judd, I know you and your family. I’m surprised to see you here, but I’m not surprised the rest of your family is gone. You know what happened, don’t you?”

Judd nodded miserably. Bruce asked the others to share their stories. They cried when they spoke, and they cried when they listened. They had been thrust together by a tragedy none of them could have ever expected.

“I know it’s hard for you to grasp right now,” Bruce said, “but I have good news for you. The question you all must have now is whether there is any hope for you. You missed Christ when he came, but you are not lost forever. We’re going to live through some awful days and years, but the Bible is clear that there will be a great soul harvest during this time. People can still become believers and be assured of heaven when they die. That won’t take away your sorrow, your grief, or your loneliness. I can’t even imagine a day when I won’t cry over what I’ve lost. But now I don’t apologize for telling everybody who comes in here how they can receive Christ. It’s really quite simple. God made it easy. If you want to hear this, just say so, and I’ll walk you through it.”

Vicki raised a hand. “Are you saying that if we had done this before, we wouldn’t have been left behind?” Bruce nodded. “And now we can still get to heaven when we die?”

He nodded again. “Everybody want to hear this?” They all nodded.

“First,” he said, “we have to see ourselves as God sees us. The Bible says all have sinned, that there is none righteous, no, not one. It also says we can’t save ourselves. Lots of people thought they could earn their way to God or to heaven by doing good things, but that’s the biggest misunderstanding ever. The Bible says it’s not by works we have done, but by his mercy that God saves us. We are saved by grace through Christ, not of ourselves, so we can’t brag about our goodness.”

“But I didn’t do anything good,” Vicki said. “I didn’t even try to get to heaven because I didn’t really believe any of this.”

“What do you think now?” Bruce said kindly.

“I think I was wrong.”

“Me too,” Judd said.

“Me three,” Lionel said.

Ryan said nothing, but it was clear to Bruce he was listening. This was all brand-new to him, except for what Raymie had tried to tell him.

“The punishment for sin is death,” Bruce continued. “Jesus took our sins and paid the penalty for them by dying so we wouldn’t have to. He died in our place because he loves us. When we tell Christ that we know we are sinners and lost and then we receive his gift of salvation, he saves us. A transaction takes place, a deal. We go from darkness to light, from lost to found. We’re saved. The Bible says that to those who receive him he gives the power to become sons of God. That’s what Jesus is—the Son of God. When we become sons of God, we have what Jesus has: We become part of God’s family, we have forgiveness for our sins, and we have eternal life. After you watch this video our pastor left behind, I’m going to ask you something I never wanted to ask people before. I want to know if you’re ready to receive Christ right now. I’ll pray with you and help you talk to God about it. It may seem too fast for you. This may be new to you. I don’t want you to make a hasty decision when you’re still in shock over what has happened. But neither do I want you to wait too long, to put this off when the world is a more dangerous place than it’s ever been. Maybe you missed Christ the first time around because you didn’t know any better. But now you know. What could be worse than knowing and then still dying without Christ?”

The four kids sat there, each grieving in his or her own way. Judd had been humbled. Vicki felt a fool. Lionel felt a sadness so deep he didn’t know if it would ever go away. Ryan was puzzled. Raymie had told him all this, and Ryan had thought it was stupid. He didn’t think so anymore. As they watched the video of the senior pastor, now in heaven, telling what was going on and how they could come to Christ, each felt a sudden closeness to the other. Bruce told them that if they became believers, they would be brothers and sisters in Christ. They could become each other’s family. When the video ended, each sat stunned that the pastor had known in advance all that was now taking place. Clearly this was truth. Certainly this demanded their attention and a decision. Each sat staring as Bruce posed the question of the ages.

“Are you ready?” he said. “Will you receive Christ?”

[Those left here on earth will certainly be searching for answers. Then the question raises: where will they go to find out?]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jasmine_childoftheking

Feb 26, 2024
Oregon
✟17,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chapter II

Bruce Barnes asked the four kids to introduce themselves and talk about themselves a bit. And after each did, Ryan leaped from his seat and begin to run out, wanting no part of it.

“I don’t know how the rest of you feel, but I can’t say I’m surprised or that I didn’t get exactly what I deserved", said Lionel, " I know if I don’t believe there’s really still a second chance, but if there is, I want it.”

“Believe me, there is a second chance,” Bruce said, “and I think it’s something you’ll want to take advantage of right away, don’t you?”

“You better believe I already prayed the prayer,” Lionel said. “If that’s what you mean. I told God I was sorry, begged his forgiveness, and asked him to save me once and for all. You’re saying it’s not too late?”

“That’s what I’m saying. Welcome to the family.”

“To tell you the truth, sir,” Lionel said, “I’d rather be in heaven with my own family right now.”

“You and me both,” Bruce said.

Judd and Vicki knew what they have to do. Though they each said they'd like to think about it more, Bruce and Lionel urged them not to wait too long.

After the four kids have left New Hope Village Church, Everett, Aneurin, and Santiago decided to check things out there. They knocked on the door, and Bruce answered.

"Hey, haven't seen you three for quite some time", said Bruce, "Come on in."

As the boys came in, a strawberry blond small girl arrived as well. Aneurin knew her at once as Molly, his younger sister. Well, it answered his question that she was still around.

"Molls, what are you doing here?", asked Aneurin.

"I was just looking for something", said Molly, "You know Mom and Dad are gone."

"I've had no idea. They've disappeared?"

Molly nodded, and she proceeded to tell Aneurin that Samuel, Elain, and Oliver have disappeared as well. She hadn't heard anything about Robert or Uncle Dirk, though.

"Bruce", said Everett, "You've mentioned that Pastor Billings made a video."

"Yes", said Bruce, "We have copies on DVD and on a USB flash drive. Would you be interested?"

"Yes. There might be something to it."

In the meantime, Bruce told them his story, and he asked each of them to tell their stories. Molly was the one that was most in shock. While she had an idea what happened, she just didn't want to admit.

"Why would God do this?", asked Molly, "Didn't He think about what would happened to the rest of us?"

"Oh yes, He did", said Bruce.

Meanwhile, Molly, left the church, in confusion. Bruce explained as he could tell, she was going into shock. He even said that many would be. He gave Everett a USB flash drive, and they could take it to one of the other rooms to watch the video. The boys went to another room where Everett hooked up a computer and put the USB flash drive in. He clicked on a video link that Pastor Billings made.

“My name is Vernon Billings, and I’m pastor of the New Hope Village Church of Mount Prospect, Illinois", said Pastor Billings, "As you watch this DVD, I can only imagine the fear and despair you face, for this is being recorded for viewing only after the disappearance of God’s people from the earth. That you are watching indicates you have been left behind. You are no doubt stunned, shocked, afraid, and remorseful. I would like you to consider what I have to say here as instructions for life following Christ’s rapture of his church."

The boys knew at once that Pastor Billings was right. Jesus did come back to take His followers, and they had been left behind.

"That is what has happened. Anyone you know or knew of who had placed his or her trust in Christ alone for salvation has been taken to heaven by Christ. Let me show you from the Bible exactly what has happened. You won’t need this proof by now, because you will have experienced the most shocking event of history. But as this recording was made beforehand and I am confident that I will be gone, ask yourself, how did he know? Here’s how, from 1 Corinthians 15:51-57."

The passage of I Corinthians 15:51-57 appeared on the screen. Everett got out a Bible and looked it up. It spelled out pretty clearly. It all happened in a moment. Santiago also knew that when it said that the Trumpet would sound and the dead be raised, it was the explanation of news reports of bodies disappearing out of their graves or caskets opening.

“Let me paraphrase some of that so you’ll understand it clearly", Pastor Billings continued, " When Paul says we shall not all sleep, he means that we shall not all die. And he’s saying that this corruptible being must put on an incorruptible body which is to last for all of eternity. When these things have happened, when the Christians who have already died and those that are still living receive their immortal bodies, the Rapture of the church will have taken place. Every person who believed in and accepted the sacrificial death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ anticipated his coming again for them. As you see this, all those will have already seen the fulfillment of the promise of Christ when He said,

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also

"I believe that all such people were literally taken from the earth, leaving everything material behind. If you have discovered that millions of people are missing and that babies and children have vanished, you know what I am saying is true. Up to a certain age, which is probably different for each individual, we believe God will not hold a child accountable for a decision that must be made with heart and mind, fully cognizant of the ramifications. You may also find that unborn children have disappeared from their mothers’ wombs. I can only imagine the pain and heartache of a world without precious children, and the deep despair of parents who will miss them so.

Paul’s prophetic letter to the Corinthians said this would occur in the twinkling of an eye. You may have seen a loved one standing before you, and suddenly they were gone. I don’t envy you that shock. The Bible says that men’s hearts will fail them for fear. That means to me that there will be heart attacks due to shock, people will commit suicide in their despair, and you know better than I the chaos that will result from Christians disappearing from various modes of transportation, with the loss of firefighters and police officers and emergency workers of all sorts."

Aneurin recalled the news reports of suicide, particularly of the one soccer player from a Christian High School that was on a missions trip in Indoesia. Even though the news report said that the one player took his own life out of remorse, Aneurin realized it was out of despair.

"Depending on when you’re viewing this, you may have already found that martial law is in effect in many places, emergency measures trying to keep evil elements from looting and fighting over the spoils of what is left. Governments will tumble and there will be international disorder. You may wonder why this has happened. Some believe this is the judgment of God on an ungodly world. Actually, that is to come later. Strange as this may sound to you, this is God’s final effort to get the attention of every person who has ignored or rejected him. He is allowing now a vast period of trial and tribulation to come to you who remain. He has removed his church from a corrupt world that seeks its own way, its own pleasures, its own ends.

I believe God’s purpose in this is to allow those who remain to take stock of themselves and leave their frantic search for pleasure and self-fulfillment, and turn to the Bible for truth and to Christ for salvation. Let me encourage you that your loved ones, your children and infants, your friends, and your acquaintances have not been snatched away by some evil force or some invasion from outer space. That will likely be a common explanation. What sounded ludicrous to you before might sound logical now, but it is not.

Also, Scripture indicates that there will be a great lie, announced with the help of the media and perpetrated by a self-styled world leader. Jesus himself prophesied about such a person. He said, ‘I have come in My Father’s name, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, him you will receive.’ Let me warn you personally to beware of such a leader of humanity who may emerge from Europe. He will turn out to be a great deceiver who will step forward with signs and wonders that will be so impressive that many will believe he is of God. He will gain a great following among those who are left, and many will believe he is a miracle worker. The deceiver will promise strength and peace and security, but the Bible says he will speak out against the Most High and will wear down the saints of the Most High."

"What does that mean?", asked Santiago.

"Don't know", said Aneurin, "Could be someone in politics."

"That’s why I warn you to beware now of a new leader with great charisma trying to take over the world during this terrible time of chaos and confusion. This person is known in the Bible as Antichrist. He will make many promises, but he will not keep them. You must trust in the promises of God Almighty through his Son, Jesus Christ. I believe the Bible teaches that the Rapture of the church ushers in a seven-year period of trial and tribulation, during which terrible things will happen. If you have not received Christ as your Savior, your soul is in jeopardy. And because of the cataclysmic events that will take place during this period, your very life is in danger. If you turn to Christ, you may still have to die as a martyr.

It doesn’t make any difference, at this point, why you’re still on earth. You may have been too selfish or prideful or busy, or perhaps you simply didn’t take the time to examine the claims of Christ for yourself. The point now is, you have another chance. Don’t miss it. The disappearance of the saints and children, the chaos left behind, and the despairing of the heartbroken are evidence that what I’m saying is true. Pray that God will help you. Receive his salvation gift right now. And resist the lies and efforts of the Antichrist, who is sure to rise up soon. Remember, he will deceive many. Don’t be counted among them. Nearly eight hundred years before Jesus came to earth the first time, Isaiah in the Old Testament prophesied that the kingdoms of nations will be in great conflict and their faces shall be as flames. To me, this portends World War III, a thermonuclear war that will wipe out millions. Bible prophecy is history written in advance. I urge you to find books on this subject or find people who may have been experts in this area but who for some reason did not receive Christ before and were left behind. Study so you’ll know what is coming and you can be prepared. You’ll find that government and religion will change, war and inflation will erupt, there will be widespread death and destruction, martyrdom of saints, and even a devastating earthquake. Be prepared. God wants to forgive you your sins and assure you of heaven. Listen to Ezekiel 33:11,

I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live

"If you accept God’s message of salvation, his Holy Spirit will come in unto you and make you spiritually born anew. You don’t need to understand all this theologically. You can become a child of God by praying to him right now as I lead you. Pray after me- Dear God, I admit that I’m a sinner. I am sorry for my sins. Please forgive me and save me. I ask this in the name of Jesus, who died for me. I trust in him right now. I believe that the sinless blood of Jesus is sufficient to pay the price for my salvation. Thank you for hearing me and receiving me. Thank you for saving my soul.”

While Aneurin and Santiago still weren't sure, Everett prayed the prayer along with Pastor Billings. He knew what he had to do.

"If you were genuine, you are saved, born again, a child of God", said Pastor Billings.

After finishing the video, the boys went back to Bruce's office. Then Everett told Bruce how he said the prayer along with Pastor Billings towards the end of the video.

"Welcome to the family, Everett", said Bruce.

"Thank you", said Everett.

"What about you two, Aneurin and Santiago?"

"Well, what Pastor Billings says makes sense", said Santiago, "Though I do have some questions. He said something on there about there will be a rise of a world leader known as the Antichrist. What does that mean?"

"Ah, I'm glad you've brought it up. Plan to do more study on that. Perhaps, when I get my notes together, I'll call you all for a meeting. Though I would also urge you to watch the news. I believe the Antichrist will become a well known figure."

"So we'll need to find out who the candidates are", said Aneurin, even though he's never been much into politics, American or internationally.

Before they left, Everett asked he could take a copy of the video home, and Bruce said yes. Then he urged Aneurin and Santiago not wait any longer or put off their decision any longer than they have to.

[You never know how much time you have.]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jasmine_childoftheking

Feb 26, 2024
Oregon
✟17,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chapter III

Robert had been at his apartment for a while. After seeing that his roommate Gavin have disappeared and talking with with his uncle Dirk on the phone, there had to be something. Even after seeing a Romanian making an appearance on TV, he wondered what could this be all about. Although they replayed the news reports of the vanishings around the world, there be something new at some point. But all it seems to be on TV was news. Then he realized he needed to get his car from the airport. He remembered the policeman he met, Ashton Cleaver. He got out his iphone, and found Ashton in his contacts, and pressed the dial button. He let it ring for about a minute or so.

"Robert", said Ashton, "I'm glad you called. Is there anything you need?"

"Ashton, I was wondering, can you take me back to the airport?", asked Robert, "I need to pick up my car from there."

"Oh, sure there. Meet me in the parking lot."

Then they hanged up. They met at the parking lot, and Robert got in Ashton's car. They drove to the airport, where Ashton dropped Robert off. Robert went to the garage, where the flight crew would park. Once he got his car retrieved, which took him a while, he decided to drive to Mount Prospect to check some things out. He invited Ashton to come with him, and he accepted. Robert got in his car, and Ashton followed him. Soon, they arrived at New Hope Village Church. They pulled over, stopped the cars and got out.

"This was where I went to church when I was a boy", Robert said to Ashton.

"You don't say", said Ashton.

Maybe there was something there. Maybe his parents were right about what happened. Robert got out of his car, and knocked on the door at New Hope Village Church. Bruce answered the door.

"How may I help you, gentlemen?", asked Bruce.

"Oh, hi, we just came from Chicago", said Robert, "Well, it's a bit of a long story."

"Oh, why don't you come in. I'd like to hear it."

Ashton and Robert stepped inside the church and went into Bruce's office, where he had a TV and DVD player set up. They exchanged their stories, and knew what had happened.

"Pastor Billings had a video made prior to the vanishings", said Bruce, "It explains every thing."

Bruce had the DVD put in, and he let it play. He and Robert watched the video that Pastor Billings made. There, he explained that the fact they were watching it that it indicates they've been left behind. He goes through what the apostle Paul said in I Corinthians 15:51-57. He explains that there will be those would have cardiac arrest from shock and those in despair would turn to suicide. Then he gave a word of warning: a great lie will be announced by a world leader that was to rise to power. He explained that this world leader was known at the Antichrist, and will be a great deceiver.

"Any idea who this world leader will be?", Robert asked Bruce.

"Oh, I think you better keep watching the news", said Bruce, "It's going to get interesting."

Pastor Billings then went through that it was not too late to become a believer. He went through the sinner's prayer, and Ashton and Robert both prayed along. After the video ended, Ashton told Bruce how he and Robert had said the prayer.

"Well, welcome to the family, both of you", said Bruce.

Robert never felt some much better, knowing he will see his father, mother, two of his brothers and one of his sisters, and his roommate again. Now the question was whether Aneurin and Molly were still around.

Josiah had been working at the hospital. The doctor asked him if he could get back to his apartment and rest for a while. Josiah shook his head and agree. He drove back to his apartment, and to his astonishment, someone had broken in.

"What happened?", Josiah asked the landowner.

"Oh, with the disappearances going on", said the landowner, "There's been quite a lot of looting going on. Even your apartment..."

"What?"

"I don't think you want to go back in there."

Josiah knew that landowner was right. He decided to go back to his parents place, the home he grew up in, in Mount Prospect, and stay there for a while, if he had to. Though for all he knew, things would never be the same now.

Molly had arrived at their home, looking through the bedrooms again. As she went into her own room, she had a memory that when she was a little toddler, she would ask Donna to read her a story.

"Mommy, can you read to me another story?", asked Molly when she was a little toddler.

"Alright, honey", said Donna, "How about one more? Which one?"

"Oh, read the monkey one."

Molly felt tears in her eyes. Then there was also where when she was ten, she got her first passport and Carl had taken her with him on one of his international trips.

"Daddy, we're going on this trip right?", asked Molly.

"That's right, sweetie", said Carl, "How about that? Your first international trip."

Molly couldn't understand why they were taken. She got to the living room and noticed a message on the answering machine. She wondered who could have left a message. She pressed the button.

"Carl", said a voice, whom she recognized as her uncle Dirk, "Something big is happening! You must have heard about people disappearing, unless you were among those who did. I don't know if there's anyone left for sure. But there is something, a man from Eastern Europe rising from the lower house in the parliament to presidency. It's going to be big time, bro! If you are gone, it might get me thinking you were right about Jesus coming back to take away His followers! I don't know what to do! I've been thinking a lot about it, and I also like to get to find out some information about what's coming!"

Molly listened for a while. At least Uncle Dirk was still around. And Aneurin was, too. But what about Robert? Surely, he had to be.

[Soon, there would be high crimes taking place, and it may seem the police couldn't do anything to stop it]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jasmine_childoftheking

Feb 26, 2024
Oregon
✟17,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chapter IV

Robert left New Hope Village Church and decided to check out his parents place. He wondered what he would find there. As he drove, he thought a lot about what Pastor Billings was saying in the video, explaining the vanishings. Then he warned of the rise of a world leader known as the Antichrist. Had he already come on the scene? If so, who was he? Robert was sure to keep watching the news.

Everett drove with Aneurin and Santiago after their little meeting at New Hope Village Church. Everett said he would drop off Aneurin at his house then go to Santiago’s house and drop him off. As Everett drove, he turned on the radio, which all it played was news.

“It would be nice to have music back on the radio”, said Everett.

They’ve listened, and it was announced that martial law was in effect. The police are busy with trying to figure out whose missing and how many.

“What does that all mean?”, asked Aneurin.

”The police are preoccupied with figuring out whose missing and how many”, said Everett, “They can’t stop people from looting and killing.”

They continued to listen, and it was announced that martial law was necessary. Everett turned off the radio, figuring it was not going to happen.

"A nice little drive here", said Aneurin, "Though I could hardly see the Chicago skylines with all this black smoke."

"We better hope it rains soon", said Everett, "These fires are going to be burning on forever."

“So we need to keep an eye out for this Antichrist guy”, said Santiago, “Didn’t Pastor Billings said something about the Antichrist making peace with Israel?”

”Yes, since Israel has always had enemies. Remember when the Russians attacked Israel about a year ago?”

”Yes, my dad worked for the Global Weekly”, said Aneurin, “He said that God miraculously spared Israel.“

”Right. So this Antichrist is going to make some sort of peace, but won’t keep his promises for long.”

“Well, we’ll soon need to find out who the candidates are”, said Santiago.

”I’ve never really followed politics that much”, said Aneurin, “But I’ve heard a lot of people say that President Gerald Fitzhugh was some big liar. Do you think he…”

“I don’t know”, said Everett, “I’m sure that there are others that would qualify.”

While in the car, Aneurin and Santiago both decided to pray the sinner’s prayer. After doing so, they never felt so much better. Everett dropped Aneurin off at his house. When Aneurin got out, he met with Robert. Aneurin told him how he prayed to become a believer. Robert told him he did as well.

Lionel and Ryan had to stay on the other side of the street from the Steeles because a car was coming the other way and Lionel didn’t want to risk crossing in front of it. He knew if he didn’t, Ryan wouldn’t. Lionel didn’t understand why Ryan seemed so much younger when the difference in their ages was barely a year. But, if it was worth comparing their predicaments, he had to admit that Ryan was worse off than he was. The headlights coming the other way did not pass the boys, however. They stopped in front of the Steele home, and Lionel noticed that the car was a cab.

“That’s Raymie’s sister, Chloe,” Ryan said as a young woman emerged from the backseat. The cabby jumped out and pulled her huge suitcase from the trunk. He set it next to her as she dug in her purse for the fare. She was paying him when the front door of the house burst open and a tall dark man ran out in his stocking feet. As the cabby pulled away, Rayford Steele gathered his daughter into his arms.

”Oh, Daddy!” she wailed. “How’s everybody?”

He backed away from her sadly.

“I don’t want to hear this,” she said, pulling away from him and looking to the house as if expecting to see her mother or brother.

“It’s just you and me, Chloe,” Mr. Steele said, and they stood together in the darkness, crying.

Robert and Aneurin went inside their house. There, they saw Molly in tears and in shock. Aneurin knew that the Rapture would have some traumatic effect.

“Molly, you know where Mom and Dad are, don’t you?”, asked Robert.

”Mom got carried away with that stuff”, said Molly.

Robert and Aneurin told Molly how Pastor Billings left a video that explains everything that happened, and how they would like her to take a look at it.

”Well, we’ve been raised in a Christian home”, said Robert, “Let’s say that realistic gets redefined. My flight lost dozens of passengers.”

“But that’s got to be as crazy as the Martian theory, doesn’t it?”, said Molly.

”Perheps so”, said Aneurin, “Think about it, Molly. Six kids in our family is a picture of what happened. Three of the most logical siblings are gone and three of the most logical siblings are left.”

”So you’re saying that they’re in Heaven?”

”That is the only explanation”, said Robert.

“Why? Who wants to go to Heaven with a God who takes away people!?”

”Well, Molls, if Heaven is where Mom, Dad, Samuel, Elain, and Oliver are”, said Aneurin, “Then that’s where I want to be, and I think a part time of you do too.”

”But not with a God like that”, said Molly, ”I’ve thought God was a loving God. But no, no! I got left behind!”

Robert and Aneurin could tell Molly was feeling sadness and anger. What could they do to convince her, they wondered.

[There those who react differently to the disappearances.]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jasmine_childoftheking

Feb 26, 2024
Oregon
✟17,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chapter V

Lucille Moise had been at her parents home in Mount Prospect, discovering that her whole family have disappeared. Then she decided to take a drive to New Hope Village Church to check things out. There, she met with Bruce, who showed her the video from Pastor Billings who explained what happened with the vanishings. When he got to the sinner’s prayer towards the end, Lucille prayed along.

“It’s amazing what you could learn”, said Lucille.

“It is and welcome to the family, Lucille”, said Bruce.

Lucille smiled. She decided to get back to her parent’s house. She didn’t think there was any reason to go back to school, at least anytime soon.

Robert and Aneurin had no idea what to do about Molly. Then Robert heard his phone ring. He answered it.

”Hello?”, said Robert.

“Yeah, it’s Buck Williams”, said Buck, “Remember me from the flight to London?”

”Oh yes. I was the second officer pilot.”

”Right. Robert, isn’ it?”

”Yes. What is it?”

”I’ve tried to get hold of your uncle Dirk…”

”I’ve talked with him not long ago. I know he didn’t disappear. What happened?”

”Well, I don’t know how to say this, but it turns out your uncle was found dead in his flat.“

“What? How?”

“They are saying he killed himself, but I’m not sure. I’m planning to go to London and meet with Alan Tompkins from the Scotland Yard.“

Robert thanked Buck for calling and letting him know. Soon, they hanged up. Robert told Aneurin that Uncle Dirk was found dead in his flat. In the meantime, Molly took about a dozen or sleeping pills. Soon, she began to feel dizzy.

”Molly what is it?”, said Robert.

“I can’t live through this”, said Molly, starting to pass out.

Aneurin realized that Molly was trying to kill herself. There had already been news reports of suicide around the world, and Robert had seen a co-worker of his, Chris Smith, being wheeled out at O’Hare. But why now Molly? Aneurin went to phone to call 9-1-1 at once for an ambulance. Robert and Aneurin were grateful that the ambulance arrived in time. The paramedics put an oxygen max over Molly’s mouth and pumped her stomach. They got her into the ambulance while Robert and Aneurin followed them to the hospital. When they arrived, Molly was admitted to ICU. Robert and Aneurin waited while Molly was being admitted and examined. Then a woman who admitted her had a talk with them.

”How is she?”, asked Robert.

“They’re still running some tests”, said the woman, “You should be grateful that you got her here in time. She could have died.”

Robert thanked the woman and decided to head back to his apartment in Chicago. Perhaps he could clear stuff out there. Aneurin decided to stay in the waiting room for about a minute or so.

Robert drove to Chicago. Meanwhile, his phone rang, which he had set up to Bluetooth in his car.

“Hello”, he said.

“Hi, it’s Lucille. We spoke before”, said Lucille.

“Oh right. What is it?”

”I just came from New Hope Village Church, and Bruce showed me a video that Pastor Billings made. He explains everything that has happened.”

”I know. I’ve seen it. I even prayed to become a believer.”

“So have I. It’s amazing what you can learn on there.”

Then Robert told Lucille that his uncle was found dead in his flat in London and how Molly tried to kill herself with about a dozen or so sleeping pills and was now in the hospital.

“Is she okay?”, asked Lucille.

“They were still running tests when I left“, answered Robert, “Though I think she’s going to be fine.”

Over the phone, they said a prayer. Robert was actually touched when Lucille said a prayer for Molly who was in the hospital. Soon after, they hanged up.

Aneurin waited in the waiting room. He decided to go to the lounge for a bit. While there, one of the nurses who was helping to run tests on Molly met up with him.

“How is she doing?”, asked Aneurin.

“She’s been through a lot”, said the nurse, and Aneurin noticed a Star of David around his neck, “Are you related?”

“I’m her brother. Aneurin Burton.”

”Josiah Ben-Ephraim.“

Aneurin guessed at once that Josiah was Jewish, with the Star of David and the name “Ben-Ephraim.” They decided to talk for a few minutes.

“So you’re Jewish”, said Aneurin, “I understand you have Israeli descent?”

”Yes, as a majority do”, said Josiah, “Although I am of Russian Jew and Pakistani Jew descent.”

“I’ve always thought Pakistanis were Muslims or the majority are.“

”You’ve got that right. Though Pakistan was part of India years ago. Perhaps you’re familiar with the Jewish holiday of Purim.”

”Isn’t that the celebration of how God spared the Jews from total annihilation?”

”Correct. The Persian Empire was vast, spreading from Ethiopia to India, and it would have included Pakistan. There were Jews that stayed there as well. Then, at some point India belonged to Great Britian.“

”Yes, it did. But I’ve had no idea Pakistani Jews still exist.”

”We’re in the minority, as well Russian Jews. There were a great number of them that immigrated here to escape from Communist oppression.”

”Wow. Can I ask you something, Josiah? What do you make of the disappearances?”

”Well, Aneurin, I’ve heard all kinds of theories. The most plausible ones right are either space aliens or Jesus.”

“Well, I believe it was Jesus. I was talking with the associate pastor at a church…”

”An associate pastor that wasn’t taken?”

”It’s kind of complicated. Anyways, he gave a couple of other guys and me a video that the senior pastor made prior to all this. He explains everything that had happened.”

“Did he?”

”Yes. You should take a look at it. Did you lose anyone?”

Josiah and Aneurin briefly exchange their stories, about where they were when the disappearances happened and how many loved ones were taken. Then Josiah told Aneurin that Molly should rest and come back sometime tomorrow. Aneurin nodded and called Everett to ask him to pick him up from the hospital in Arlington Heights.

“Oh, when I went to drop Santiago off at his house”, said Everett, “We’ve discovered that there’s been a robbery there. Then we went to check my house and there was a robbery there, too. Then we decided to check your house and there had been a robbery there, too.”

Aneurin turned to Josiah, who gave him the address of his parents home. Josiah told Aneurin that he and his two friends could stay with him for a while. Aneurin nodded and told Everett the arrangement.

“Can we trust this Josiah?”, asked Everett.

”He’s looking after my sister”, said Aneurin, “I think he’s interested in that video we’ve watched at church. Perhaps we should show it to him.”

Everett said that would be a good idea. He told Aneurin he was on his way. He had no idea how long Molly would need to be in the hospital for. Though Josiah assured him that she was in good hands.

[Some may have no idea to turn to. But some would find out the truth]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jasmine_childoftheking

Feb 26, 2024
Oregon
✟17,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chapter VI

As Everett drove Aneurin and Santiago to Josiah's parent's home, Aneurin proceeded to tell of what happened to Molly and how he had to call 9-1-1 for paramedics to get her to the hospital.

"Wow", said Everett, "So your sister took about a dozen or so sleeping pills?"

"Yes, she wanted to kill herself", said Aneurin, "I mean, there's a lot of that going on."

"It sounds like she almost did", stated Santiago.

"I'm glad to hear she's okay", said Everett, "So about this nurse you've met, Josiah Ben-Ephraim."

"Yes", said Aneurin, "Well, he told me that he's of Russian Jew and Pakistani Jewish descent."

"Pakistani Jew?", asked Santiago.

"Oh, Pakistan is a country in South Asia, West of India", said Everett.

"Yes, I know it is. I've had no idea there were Pakistani Jews. I've always thought they were Muslims."

"A majority are", said Aneurin, "They actually say that the country of Pakistan is 3 times bigger than the State of Illinois."

"Jealous."

"So you say that he's interested in the Jesus theory", said Everett.

"I think so", said Aneurin, "Perhaps, we should show him that video that Pastor Billings made."

Everett and Santiago agreed. Soon, he pulled into where Josiah's parents were. It was almost like a mansion, though Aneurin admitted that he had seen nicer homes. Josiah had given Aneurin the keys to the house, so he unlocked the door, and they walked in. They decided to check out the different rooms, since there were so many.

Robert pulled into the parking lot of his apartment complex in Chicago. However, he ran into Ashton there.

"Robert, I'm not sure if you want to go back into your apartment", said Ashton.

"What happened?", asked Robert.

"There's been some kind of burglary. Someone had broken in and took some of your stuff."

Robert couldn't believe it. It seems that burglary was on the rise since the vanishings. But he would have never thought of his apartment complex. Robert asked Ashton about his, and he told him the same thing happened. What could they now do? They had to figure something out. Robert called Aneurin, who told him that he, Everett, and Santiago were staying at the home of a young Jewish nurse he met at the hospital. Robert said that he and Ashton could consider staying there, if they had to.

Everett went to the living room and turned on the TV to see what the latest news was. That time, he went from the vanishings to a breaking news at the United Nations. Meanwhile, Aneurin and Santiago joined him.

"Anything on TV?", asked Santiago.

"There's nothing but news on", said Everett.

"So anything going on in the world?", asked Aneurin.

"Well, the big story is that the President of Romania coming to the United Nations."

"Romania is in Eastern Europe, isn't it?", asked Santiago.

"They say it's smaller than Illinois", said Aneurin, "So why should we care about this guy? Aren't there more important things to worry about?"

"Maybe they're going to make us forget about what happened", said Everett, "I think this guy seems pretty cool."

The boys looked intently at the screen, which featured a handsome, man in his mid 30's, with blond hair, blue eyes, broad shoulders, and stood over 6 feet tall. They couldn't keep his eyes off him, and he had to be something.

"This man might be a bit of fresh air", said Santiago.

"Maybe he has answers to all the problems of the world", said Aneurin, "Ah, how do you say his name?"

"Nicolae Carpathia", said Everett.

"Carpathia? Wasn't that the name of the ship that helped rescue survivors from the Titanic?"

"It was. Who knew that this guy would come to speak at the United Nations?"

They continued to watch the coverage and began to wonder if Nicolae Carpathia had the answers to the world's problems. Surely, he must, they thought.

Molly lay in the hospital bed for about an hour or so. In the meantime, she turned on the TV to see what the latest was. Though she assumed it was going to be news, it had gone on from the vanishings to the President of Romania, Nicolae Carpathia, coming to the United Nations. She couldn't keep her eyes off him, and wondered that perhaps he had all the answers to the world's problem. In the meantime, Josiah went to check on her.

"How are you feeling?", asked Josiah.

"Alright, dozing off and on", said Molly, "Did you hear about this?"

Josiah looked at the TV screen, and saw the same news report. It had to be something.

"He is something, isn't he?" said Josiah.

"Yes", said Molly, "How do you say his name?"

"Nicolae Carpathia."

"Perhaps he's trying to make us forget about what happened."

"He could be."

They continued to watch for about a minute or so.

"So Mary Alice Burton", said Josiah.

"How did you..?", asked Molly.

"It showed your full name on the medical record. It sure has a nice ring to it. Though I guess it's no wonder you go by Molly."

"I had no idea. I couldn't guess your middle name, could I?"

"Suhail."

"Isn't that Middle Eastern?"

"Yes. Josiah is Hebrew, Suhail is Arabic, and Ben-Ephraim is of course Hebrew. It might be because I am of Pakistani Jewish descent from my father's side. Pakistan is a country in South Asia, West of India."

"Yes, my dad worked for the Global Weekly. He had traveled there to cover some stories. But I had no idea there were Pakistani Jews."

"We're in the minority. I'm also of Russian Jew descent from my mother's side. Many of them immigrated here to escape from Communist oppression."

"Wow."

Josiah told Molly that the doctor said that she may have to stay in the hospital for a while, so she should probably get some rest. He even decided to give her an extra blanket so she wouldn't be so cold at night. She turned off the TV, and dozed off.

[Now I'm sure that you figure out that even the elect would be deceived. Hopefully Molly would not be swayed and come to her senses to become a believer]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jasmine_childoftheking

Feb 26, 2024
Oregon
✟17,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chapter VII

Josiah had got off his shift at the hospital and started heading for his parents home, which was the one he grew up in. He turned the radio on in his car, which also had the news talking about the President of Romania, Nicolae Carpathia, coming to the United Nations in New York City. It was fascinating to hear, that was for sure. Yet Josiah wondered about what Aneurin was saying about Jesus behind the disappearances and the video that Pastor Billings had made. When he pulled into the driveway at the home he grew up in, he turned the radio off. He got out and was met by Aneurin in the foyer. He introduced him to Everett and Santiago.

“How’s Molly doing?”, asked Santiago.

“She may have to stay there for awhile”, answered Josiah, “The best thing for now is to let her rest. You can visit her tomorrow. I’m sure she’ll be up to it.”

”I just heard that school is closed until further notice anyways”, said Aneurin, “Perhaps you know that Molly’s real name is Mary, right?”

“Yes, it came up on her medical record, even her full name, Mary Alice.”

“Yes. She was named for the Virgin Mary and Alice has been a popular name for princesses in the 19th-20th century.”

“Though I’ll say that Aneurin must be a unique name.”

“It’s Welsh. My dad is Welsh. Middle name is Elijah, since our parents were the religious type.“

”I see. You know what Josiah is, do you?”

“Isn’t that the name of a boy king of Judah?”, asked Santiago.

“Correct. It means ‘Jehovah heals’.“

”Wow. ‘Santiago’ is a combination of ‘Sant‘ and ‘Iago’. It’s Spanish for ‘Saint James.’”

”You don’t say. And Everett, how about your name?”

”It was my dad’s name as well”, said Everett, “He was born in Everett, Washington.”

“What about your middle name, Josiah?”, asked Aneurin.

“Suhail”, answered Josiah.

“Hmm. I’ve never heard that. Is that Middle Eastern?”

”Arabic, though it has gained popularity in South Asia. Remember I told you of my Pakistani Jew heritage, Aneurin?”

“Yes, I do remember.“

Soon after, Josiah and the boys exchanged stories about how they were raised in either Jewish or Christian homes. Josiah even shared how his parents converted to Christianity at a rally when he was in high school. Then exchanged stories about they were when the vanishings happened. Everett decided to show Josiah the video that Pastor Billings left. He put the DVD in and let it play.

“My name is Vernon Billings, and I’m pastor of the New Hope Village Church of Mount Prospect, Illinois", said Pastor Billings, "As you watch this DVD, I can only imagine the fear and despair you face, for this is being recorded for viewing only after the disappearance of God’s people from the earth. That you are watching indicates you have been left behind. You are no doubt stunned, shocked, afraid, and remorseful.”

”So that’s what happened“, said Everett, “Jesus came to take His followers to Heaven.”

They continued to watch, as Pastor Billings explained I Corinthians 15:51-57 and its meaning. He went even went into how even unborn and infants and small children have disappeared.

“I don’t envy you that shock“, Pastor Billings continued, “The Bible says that men’s hearts will fail them for fear. That means to me that there will be heart attacks due to shock, people will commit suicide in their despair, and you know better than I the chaos that will result from Christians disappearing from various modes of transportation, with the loss of firefighters and police officers and emergency workers of all sorts.”

”That’s what Molly tried to do”, said Aneurin.

“Also, Scripture indicates that there will be a great lie, announced with the help of the media and perpetrated by a self-styled world leader. Jesus himself prophesied about such a person. He said, ‘I have come in My Father’s name, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, him you will receive.’ Let me warn you personally to beware of such a leader of humanity who may emerge from Europe. He will turn out to be a great deceiver who will step forward with signs and wonders that will be so impressive that many will believe he is of God. He will gain a great following among those who are left, and many will believe he is a miracle worker. The deceiver will promise strength and peace and security, but the Bible says he will speak out against the Most High and will wear down the saints of the Most High.

That’s why I warn you to beware now of a new leader with great charisma trying to take over the world during this terrible time of chaos and confusion. This person is known in the Bible as Antichrist. He will make many promises, but he will not keep them. You must trust in the promises of God Almighty through his Son, Jesus Christ.”

”I wonder who that world leader he’s referring to”, said Josiah.

“We were wondering the same”, said Aneurin, “Whoever he is, we sure don’t want to get fooled like everyone else.”

They continued to watch. Near the end, Pastor Billings lead the sinner’s prayer. As he did, Josiah prayed along. The video finished playing and Josiah was amazed how much it changed him. Jesus was the Messiah that the Jews have waited for. Afterwards, he thanked God for the three boys for leading him to the Truth and said a prayer for Molly, that she would come to know the truth.

[So far, seven of the eight have become believers. There still one that is to do so]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jasmine_childoftheking

Feb 26, 2024
Oregon
✟17,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chapter VII

Molly had been sleeping soundly at the hospital in Arlington Heights. When morning came, she knew that the visiting hours would be coming up soon. A knock came on the door, and a doctor came in.

"How are we doing this morning?", asked the doctor.

"Fine", said Molly.

"Good. I'm going to check a couple of things out here, Miss. You know, you're fortunate that your brothers called the paramedics and got you here in time."

"How's that?"

"Well, with about a dozen or so sleeping pills, you could have died."

"So it might because they wanted me alive."

"That sounds about right."

The doctor examined Molly, and was instructed she may have to stay there for a while. Now the question was, where was she going to go when she gets released from the hospital.

Aneurin asked Josiah if he could go with him to the hospital to see Molly as he was heading there for work.

"I don't see why not", said Josiah.

"We'll keep an eye on things here", said Everett, "And we'll be praying."

"Please, don't stop", said Aneurin.

Josiah and Aneurin got in his car, which was a mazda. Aneurin had seen nicer cars, but he was sure impressed. From where Josiah had lived and the kind of car he drove, Aneurin wondered if he was known as "rich kid."

"My father owned a company in Chicago and was wealthy", said Josiah, "It was even enough for me to get into nursing school."

"Wow", said Aneurin, "Any brothers or sisters?"

"Two older brothers, oldest is a pilot and an older sister who lives in Israel. I also have a younger brother and a younger sister."

"Wow, you have a brother whose a pilot? My second oldest brother is a pilot as well."

"You don't say. My second oldest brother and my younger brother and sister were taken. So were my parents. So anyone else in your family or is it just you and your sister?"

"My second oldest brother is still here. Oh, I even heard that my uncle was found dead in his flat- that's a British word for 'apartment'- in London.

"I'm sorry."

Josiah pulled into the parking lot at the hospital. He and Aneurin got out, where he checked in for work. He asked Aneurin if he could wait in the waiting room for a bit. Aneurin nodded and he did.

Aneurin sat in the waiting room, and gazed at the TV. He thought there had to be something about Nicolae Carpathia. He was an impressive guy, that was for sure. How long had been President of Romania? He just had been elected. He even wondered what he was doing at the United Nations.

"This man is something, isn't he?", asked a man who was close by.

"I say", said Aneurin, "I wonder what's on his agenda there at the UN."

Aneurin's phone rang, and saw it was Robert. He answered it, and said, "Robert."

"Aneurin, where are you at?", asked Robert.

"Well, I'm at the hospital", said Aneurin, "Robert, remember that Jewish nurse I told you about?"

"Josiah? Yeah, you're staying with him."

"Well, that and he actually prayed to become a believer."

"You don't say. What happened?"

Aneurin proceeded to tell Robert how he, Everett, and Santiago showed Josiah the video that Pastor Billings left, explaining the Rapture, and how Josiah prayed along near the end.

"That is great. And what about Molly?"

"I'm not sure if she's still convinced. But then maybe God will get to her somehow."

"I'm sure He will. Hey, you've heard about the President of Romania at the UN, right?"

"Nicolae Carpathia. Yes, he seems pretty cool. He might have the answers to all the world's problem."

"He is something. Any idea what's on his agenda there at the UN?"

"That was I was kind of wondering."

They continued to talk for a moment. They said a prayer, thanking God for their new brother Josiah and prayed for Molly, asking God that He will somehow get to her. Soon after, they hanged up.

Josiah had come into Molly's room to check on her. He gave her some liquid medicine to take, which she of course did.

"You know, your brother showed me that video the pastor have made", said Josiah, "It makes perfect sense. Jesus was the Jewish Messiah who had come. I even prayed along with him."

"So you went from Jewish to Christian?", asked Molly.

"Oh, I am still Jewish. You's not like I went from one religion to another. Well, I guess you could say I went from Judaism to Christianity. You might have heard of Messianic Jew."

"So that's what you are now?"

"Well, yes. And, well, I could see why you tried to kill yourself... the pastor on the video said people would do that in despair."

"And my brothers got me here because they wanted me to be alive?"

"Well, yeah, and I think God does too. I do believe He's reaching out to you. All you have to do is respond."

"But why did God have to take all these people? What about the small children, the babies, the unborn?"

"I don't understand that anymore than you do. Would you believe how many empty nursery beds we have in the labor and delivery room? You know, from what the pastor says in the video, the believers were taken to be spared from what's coming."

"What's coming?"

"Well, it's going to get a lot worse."

"I can't imagine how much worse it could get."

Everett and Santiago turned on the TV for a bit, and it was the same news. Then Everett's phone rang. He saw it was Bruce. He answered it.

"Bruce", said Everett.

"Everett, how are things?"

Everett told Bruce of a robbery at his house, and how he, Santiago, and Aneurin are staying with a Jewish nurse, Josiah. He even told him how Josiah prayed to become a believer, and how Molly tried to kill herself with about a dozen or so sleeping pills and was in the hospital.

"Wow", said Bruce, "That's great about Josiah. And I'll be praying for Molly. Somehow, I think God is drawing her to Himself."

"So perhaps He wants her to be alive", said Everett.

"I think so."

Everett thanked Bruce, and they hanged up.

[God would surely draw people to Him. All they to do is to be willing to respond. Do you think Molly respond and become a believer? We'll find out soon enough.]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jasmine_childoftheking

Feb 26, 2024
Oregon
✟17,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chapter VIII

Aneurin went to see Molly in the hospital room. Josiah soon left the room, and would be back later.

"How long have you been here?", asked Molly.

"For a while", said Aneurin, "I came with Josiah. I'll probably call either Everett or Robert to pick me up."

"So Josiah became a Christian?"

"Yes, he did. I think you should consider it too."

"He told me that from what Pastor Billings said in the video, things are going to get a lot worse."

"Well, he's right. It will be chaotic."

Molly had no idea what to say. Aneurin looked at the clock on his phone, and decided to come back another time. He called Robert and asked him to pick him up. Robert said it would be no problem. Robert arrived at the hospital and visited Molly for a moment.

"Well, my apartment complex has been ransacked", said Robert, "I've talked with that nurse, Josiah. He said I could stay at his place or his parents place for as long as I have to."

"Sounds nice", said Molly.

After a visit, Robert and Aneurin got in the car, and Robert drove to Josiah's house. When Robert pulled in, he was stunned to see it was almost like a mansion. Though Aneurin did tell him that he's seen nicer homes.

Josiah had been on his shift. Then his phone rang. To his surprise, it was his older sister Phoebe. He answered it.

"Phoebe", said Josiah.

"Josiah, I was wondering if you're still around", said Phoebe, "How are things?"

"Well, things are fine. But with the disappearances and all."

"I know. I've heard from Caleb, he's still around. He and Sienna lost their three children."

"I've no idea. What about Isaac? Is he?"

"He's gone."

"Mother and Father are gone, too. So are Nathan and Adi. And I know why they've vanished. Jesus took them."

"So you're saying..."

"Yes. That's right. They were right about Jesus being the Messiah, we were wrong. I even prayed to become a Christian."

"Is that so?"

"Yes. It's amazing what could learn from a video that a pastor left. You should consider it too, sis. Please, tell Silas to do the same, and Caleb and Sienna."

"Well, I'll think about it. So anything else new?"

"Well, with the disappearances, there's been a lot of burglary going on, and the police can't do anything to stop it. They must be preoccupied with figuring out whose missing and how many. I've taken in three boys at Mom and Dad's house, and I'm nursing a girl who tried to kill herself."

Josiah proceeded to tell Phoebe of how he met Aneurin, Everett, and Santiago, who were staying at their parents place and how they showed him a video that Pastor Billings made, explaining the vanishings. He even told her how Molly tried to kill herself with about a dozen or so sleeping pills and was admitted to the hospital.

"Well, it's great to hear from you", said Phoebe.

"Yes, and you as well", said Josiah.

They hanged up soon after. Josiah was quite relieved to hear that his oldest brother and older sister was still around. But his two nephews and niece gone. He could only imagine Caleb and Sienna besides themselves. He went to check on Molly and see how she was doing.

"So you're going to convince me to consider to become a Christian?", asked Molly.

"Well yes", said Josiah, "Can't you see how crazy this world has gotten? You don't know how much time you have."

Molly had no idea what to think. It was true that the world has gotten crazy since the vanishings. But if it was true, it would become chaotic for the next seven years real soon.

[You never know how much time you have left, especially when things are going to get chaotic.]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jasmine_childoftheking

Feb 26, 2024
Oregon
✟17,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chapter IX

Molly laid in her hospital bed and dozed for the remainder of the day. Well, perhaps God was reaching out to her but what could she do? Even when Josiah came to check on her, she had no idea what to make of it. Would God answer her prayers? She didn't know.

Judd had taken in Vicki, Lionel, and Ryan into his home, which was also almost like a mansion. When Lionel learned from the police in Chicago that his uncle Andre was dead, he decided to go to the morgue to identify the body. One day, Bruce called Judd and asked him to drive Lionel to the the morgue. Judd agreed, and he did.

When Judd told him what Bruce had spelled out, Lionel said, “You know, I think I can handle this myself. Your car is not going to be safe down there, so you should probably stay with it I won’t be long.”

Lionel thought Judd would put up a fuss, insisting on talking with the authorities himself. So far Judd had seemed to enjoy playing the big shot. But to Lionel’s surprise, Judd seemed relieved.

“Yeah, OK,” he said quickly. “That’s probably a good idea. I’ll stay with the car, you do this stuff, and then we’ll be out of there.”

When Judd finally pulled in to the small, fenced lot behind the gray morgue building, he handed Lionel the sheet with the contact name.

“I’ll be right out,” Lionel said.

He had prepared himself, he thought, for this moment. He had to be sure André was dead, and there was no better way than to see his body for himself. Lionel had stepped from the car with confidence, telling himself to just do his duty and get it over with. Lionel felt the cold rush from the air conditioners. This place, the whole building, was cold as a refrigerator. Covered bodies were lined up on stretchers down both sides of the hall-way, and Lionel could only assume that’s the way it was all through the building.

A bored receptionist in a winter coat said, “You can’t be in here, son. What are you doing?”

I’m here to identify a body,” he said.

“All the bodies in here have been identified,” she said.

Lionel dug the sheet of instructions from his pocket.

“I’m looking for assistant medical examiner Ford,” he said.

The receptionist paged him.

“You’d better take a seat,” she said. “No telling how long he’ll be.”

He was twenty minutes, time enough for Lionel to calm himself if he was able. But he was not able. All the wait did was to make him more upset. He wanted to be anywhere other than this creepy place. None of the dead bodies he had ever seen before were related to him. He had no idea how he would react. Dr. Ford was a pudgy man in a hurry, and he was all business.

“You’re Washington?", said Dr. Ford, "Where’s Barnes?”

“Couldn’t make it,” Lionel said.

“This way, Washington.”

Lionel followed the fast-walking doctor down the halls between the stretchers with bodies on them. He held his breath and looked neither right nor left. The doctor peeled a couple of sheets of paper back off his clipboard and studied a page.

“André Dupree, right? Age 36, male, African-American, 5 foot 8, 155 pounds?”

“That’s him.”

“He’s in the back. You OK?”

“Yeah, just a little out of breath.”

“Almost there.”

“Could you do it slow?”

“What, walking? Lots to do, son. Never seen this many deaths in so short a time. Never anything like it.”

“No, I mean, will you show me his body slow?”

“Meaning?”

“Like, don’t whip the sheet off.”

“I never do that.”

“Good.”

When Dr. Ford got to the back, the place looked more like what Lionel expected. Six bodies were lined up next to each other. The doctor lifted the bottom of the sheets and read the tags on the toes of two in the middle.

“Dupree,” he said. “Here are his effects, if you want them. We threw away the jeans. They were, um, stained with blood. This was a suicide, you know.”

“I figured.” Lionel was having trouble speaking loudly enough to be heard. He still wasn’t sure he could keep from running out of there. The doctor handed him a manila envelope clasped by a red string. He unwound it with shaky fingers and saw his uncle’s watch, bracelet, earring, ring, beeper, belt, and socks.

“He came in here with that and a pair of jeans and stocking feet.”

Lionel nodded, dreading what was to come. The doctor moved to the other end of the stretcher.

“Ever done this before, son?”

Lionel shook his head.

“I’m just going to fold the sheet back to his chest and you can see his face.”

“And then I identify him to you?”

“That’s not necessary. Identity is not in question in this case. The personal effects were on the body and in the pockets. A neighbor identified him. He was in his own apartment. You can just look away for a moment if you’d like.”

Lionel held the envelope in both hands, as if he were holding a hat in front of him. He heard the slow rustle of the sheet.

“OK, son,” Dr. Ford said.

Lionel stared, speechless, at the expressionless face, and his heart seemed to stop. He could hear himself breathing. He wanted to say something, but words would not come.

“Can you find your way out?” Dr. Ford said.

Lionel nodded again and hurried toward the door. He was afraid he was going to be sick. The corridors looked longer than ever, and he couldn’t wait to get out to the warmth of the day. By the time he reached the receptionist’s area he was running. He burst through the door and sprinted to the parking lot, jumping into the car.

“You look like you saw a ghost,” Judd said, starting the car. Lionel could only snort.

“Oh, sorry, man,” Judd said. “I guess you sorta did, huh?” Lionel nodded.

“That his stuff there?”

“Uh-huh.” It was the first sound Lionel had emitted since seeing the body.

“Did he look like himself?” Judd asked.

“I wouldn’t know,” Lionel said. “He probably did. The only thing I know for sure is that that was not my uncle.”

Josiah had come home from work. Robert was cooking some ground beef that he had got from the refrigerator. Santiago grated a block of cheese, while Everett and Aneurin did tomatoes and onions.

"It smells good", said Josiah.

"It sure does", said Everett, "Robert, how's the ground beef looking?"

"Good", said Robert, "I don't believe I've ever made tacos for this many people. I think we have more than enough. Josiah, how's Molly doing?"

:Well, she's hanging in there", said Josiah, "But I don't know. I don't think she's still convinced about God and Jesus."

"Maybe she'll come around at some point", said Santiago.

"I hope you're right."

Josiah decided to step in and fix some lettuce and cilantro. Soon after, they put the taco stuff at the dinner table. They soon all sat around the table.

"Well, should someone say grace?", asked Everett.

"Yeah, we should pray", said Robert.

"How about you, Robert?", asked Josiah, "If you're up to it."

"Alright." Then they bowed their heads, and Robert prayed, "Dear God, thank You for the tacos You've given us. Thank You for bringing us all together, and we ask that You will reach out to Molly. in Jesus's name, Amen."

Soon after, they started eating the tacos, which was very filling. Josiah was grateful that he invited the boys to stay at his place. Perhaps, he thought, they could help clean out the refrigerator. After a meal, they gathered around the piano, where Josiah played. He taught them some traditional Jewish songs, such as "Elihayu Havani" and "Hevenu Shalom Alecheim." Soon enough, he started to learn how to play old hymns such as "Standing on the Promises", "Amazing Grace", "How Great Thou Art", "Holy, Holy, Holy." If only Molly could be there to join in.

[When God is reaching out, how would people respond?]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jasmine_childoftheking

Feb 26, 2024
Oregon
✟17,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chapter X

Robert began to wonder when flights would be available again. Would he become Rayfords's new co-pilot? He wasn't sure he was up to it. Then his phone rang. He saw it was Lucille.

"Lucille", said Robert.

"Robert, I've heard of your apartment being ransacked", said Lucille, "Are you at your parent's house?"

"No, there was a robbery there, too. There's a lot of that going on, and the police can't do anything to stop it. They must be preoccupied with figuring out whose missing and how many."

"I can't imagine. Where are you?"

"Well, I'm staying with a Jewish nurse, Josiah Ben-Ephraim, along with Aneurin, Everett, and Santiago. He actually became a believer, you know."

"Oh wow. And how's Molly?"

"She's fine for the moment, but may have to stay in the hospital for a while. Good thing Josiah is one of the nurses that's looking after her."

"Well, he must have been a God sent."

"I guess you could say that. Is there anywhere you could go?"

"I'm heading back to University of South Chicago to clear out my dorm. I'll probably clear out Elain and Addi's dorm as well, since no one will be staying there or when new students come, if ever. I don't think there's any sense to continue on with school."

"I hear ya. I've heard that schools are closed until further notice. So it sounds like Everett, Aneurin, Santiago and Molly won't be going back to school anytime soon."

"Well, I thought I call and check on how you're doing. And I'll be praying for Molly."

"Please, don't stop."

Soon after, they hanged up.

Bruce was holding a meeting with Judd, Vicki, and Lionel. Bruce said he had been on the phone with Ryan, and decided to start the meeting. He talked with them about the rise of the Antichrist, and how they would recognized him. He is someone to fight to survive for seven years until the Glorious Appearing, the Second Coming of Christ.

“I want to survive,” Lionel said. “But I remember my mother saying something about only a quarter of the people on earth after the Rapture still being alive at the end of the Tribulation.”

“That’s exactly what I believe the Bible teaches,” Bruce said.

“Hold on a second,” Judd said. “The population is already a lot less since the Rapture. Only one out of four of those will still be here when Jesus comes back again?”

“Because of the wars, plagues, famine, and disasters, yes,” Bruce said. “I don’t mean to scare you, but you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to look around this room and see that there are four of us here.”

“And you’re saying,” Vicki said, “that only one of us is likely to be still alive in seven years?”

“Seven years from the signing of the treaty between Antichrist and Israel, yes.”

Vicki’s shoulders sagged, and she said just what Judd was thinking.

“What’s the use then? What are we here for?”

“That’s the exciting part,” Bruce said. “Our job is to win as many converts as possible before the end. Because when Jesus comes back to set up his thousand-year reign on earth, we’ll either be here waiting for him or we’ll come from heaven with him. Only those who come to him between the Rapture and the Millennium will reign with him.”

“How many will that be?”

“Some of the scholars I’m studying estimate that the multitude of believers the book of Revelation calls ‘numberless’ could be as high as a billion and a half.”

“I want to stay alive and see that,” Vicki said.

Bruce smiled a tired smile. “I want to stay alive and be part of winning them,” he said. “I’ll talk more about it Sunday. You’ll all be here, right?”

“Right,” Judd said. “All of us. All four of us.”

Then Ryan showed up, and said how he prayed to become a believer. I

Robert invited Josiah to come with him to New Hope Village Church and meet with Bruce. Then he called Lucille and Ashton and asked if they could them there. Lucille said she would need to finish clearing out her dorm and will be on her way. Robert got a called from Buck, who was in London now, meeting with Alan Tompkins from the Scotland Yard, to find out about Dirk's death. Soon after, Robert and Josiah went to New Hope Village Church, where Ashton and Lucille met with them.

"I'm not quite finished clearing out my dorm yet", said Lucille.

"There's no hurry", said Robert, "You can take your time."

They went inside the church, and went into Bruce's office. Robert introduced Josiah to Bruce, and explained how he was one of the nurses whose looking after Molly at the hospital.

"How is she doing?", asked Bruce.

"She's fine for the moment", said Josiah, "But she'll probably to stay in the hospital for a while."

"And we'll keep praying for her. I think God will get to her somehow. All she needs to do is to respond to Him."

Robert also proceeded to tell Bruce that his uncle was found dead in his flat in London and Bruce said that he would be praying for him and the the rest of the family.

"So what is there?", asked Ashton.

"Well, I just had a meeting with a group of kids, Judd, Vick, and Lionel, and explained to them about the Rise of the Antichrist. I explained the characteristics and how we may recognized him."

"The Antichrist?", asked Lucille, "Is that the world leader that Pastor Billings was talking about in the video?"

"Yes, it is. And he may come on the scene real soon. There are those who say that he will have ancestry that will connect him with Rome."

"So any idea who it might be?", asked Josiah, "Someone we know and trust?"

"I do have my eye on someone. He's a really impressive guy and interesting world figure, I'll tell you that. Though I don't want to identify the Antichrist before I knew I was sure. I would advise you to keep watching the news. If the Antichrist is a not a well known figure, then he will be."

After a little meeting, they said a little prayer. They left soon after.

Everett, Aneurin, and Santiago later showed up at Bruce's office, and decided to have a talk with them as well. He explained to them the rise of the Antichrist, and how they would recognized him.

"But do we even know when the Antichrist will come into the picture?", asked Santiago.

"Not for sure", said Bruce, "But many of the scholars I've read that he may have been here already by the time of the Rapture."

"Is it someone we already know and trust?", asked Everett.

"I've never really follow politics that much", stated Aneurin, "But I've often heard people saying that President Gerald Fitzhugh was some big liar. So I wonder if he's..."

"Just about every politician have been assumed of that. I don't think it's President Fitzhugh. In fact I'd be very surprised if it is. There are those who think that the Antichrist will have ancestry that connects him with Rome."

"So you think he's out there now?", asked Santiago.

"I do have my eye on someone. It would be a mistake to identify the Antichrist before I knew I was sure. Though I can tell you this, he's a really interesting world figure. If he's not a well known figure, then he will be. I would advise you keep watching the news."

Bruce explained how the Antichrist is going to be someone that they're going have to fight for the next seven years, once the Tribulation starts. Soon after, they left the meeting.

At the hospital, Josiah showed Molly the video that Pastor Billings left, explaining the Rapture. Then he got to where he spoke of the rise of a world leader known as the Antichrist.

"Bruce was just talking to us about this", said Josiah.

"Did he say how it might be?", asked Molly.

"Well, said that he had his eye on an interesting world figure. But he couldn't tell us who it was. He didn't want to indentify the Antichrist before he knew he was sure."

Molly started to wonder how could this Antichrist be. She wondered if it was President Fitzhugh. Or was it the President of Romania that everyone has been talking about, Nicolae Carpathia? No, surely he couldn't be the Antichrist. But how would anyone guess or find out.

[Now the question rises: who is the antichrist? Will these characters find out soon?]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jasmine_childoftheking

Feb 26, 2024
Oregon
✟17,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chapter XI

Ashton was at the Chicago police station. He, like most of those in the police force, were working double shift, with the vanishings. He had prayed to become a believer. At that time, they were unable to stop people from killing and looting.

"Eddie", said Ashton a to young and blond homicide detective, "Remember those guys at the department who've talked about God?"

"Yes, of course I do", said Eddie.

"Well, what if I told you that they were right all this time?"

"I was thinking about that. I mean, what if the vanishings was something God pulled off?"

"Well, I am actually a Christian now."

"What's that?"

"I've asked Jesus to change my life, and He did. You'd be amazed of how He can change you, Eddie, if you ask Him."

"Hmm... it does all sound interesting. I don't know if anyone would be interested, though. Well, myself and Cole... another from homicide."

On Sunday Morning, Josiah, Robert, Everett, Aneurin, and Santiago arrived at New Hope Village Church, and took their seats. There, they saw Judd, Vicki, Lionel, and Ryan who took their seats up in the balcony. At ten, Bruce began.
The big pulpit on the platform was empty, and no lights shone up there. Bruce had placed a microphone stand in front of the first pew and spoke from there, holding his Bible and notes.

“Normally we at this church would be thrilled to see a crowd like this,” he said. “But I’m not about to tell you how great it is to see you here. I know you’re here seeking to know what happened to your children and loved ones, and I believe I have the answer. Obviously, I didn’t have it before, or I too would be gone.”

Bruce told his story, his wife and children disappearing right from their beds. He showed the video the senior pastor had left, and more than a hundred people prayed along with the prayer at the end. Bruce urged them and anyone else who was interested to begin coming to New Hope Village Church.

“I know many of you may still be skeptical", Bruce continued, "You may believe what happened was of God, but you still don’t like it and you resent him for it. If you would like to come back and ask questions this evening, I will be here. Rest assured, we will be open to any honest question. I do want to open the floor to anyone who received Christ this morning and would like to confess it before us. The Bible tells us to do that, to make known our decision and our stand.”

The first to come forward to the pulpit was Rayford Steele, who told his story of the flight to London, and how he became a believer as he watched the video from Pastor Billings.

"He was the captain on the flight to London on the night of the Rapture", said Robert in a low voice.

Dozens waited to tell their stories, to say where they’d been on their spiritual journey. Most were just like he was, having been on the edges of the truth through a loved one or friend, but never fully accepting the truth about Christ.

“I’m going to have to bring this to a close", said Bruce, "One thing I wasn’t going to do today was anything traditionally churchy, including singing. But I feel we need to praise the Lord for what has happened here today. Let me teach you a simple chorus of adoration.”

The service closed by singing a brief song from Scripture. People seemed reluctant to leave, even after Bruce closed in prayer. Many stayed to get acquainted, and it became obvious a new congregation had begun. The name of the church was more appropriate than ever. New Hope. Bruce shook hands with people as they left, and no one ducked him or hurried past.

After arriving at Josiah's home from church, Aneurin was amazed how many testimonies there were. There were those who knew the truth, but have missed out the first time. He decided to check on the computers for any news, and came across one that was like an obituary.

Cameron Williams, 30, the youngest senior writer on the staff of any weekly newsmagazine, is feared dead after a mysterious car bombing outside a London pub Saturday night that took the life of a Scotland Yard investigator.
Williams, a five-year employee of Global had won a Pulitzer as a reporter for the Boston Globe before joining the magazine as a staff reporter at 25. He quickly rose to the position of senior writer and has since written more than three dozen cover stories, four times assigned the Newsmaker of the Year story.
The journalist won the prestigious Ernest Hemingway Prize for war correspondence when he chronicled the destruction of the Russian air force over Israel 14 months ago. According to Steve Plank, executive editor of Global the administration of the magazine is refusing to confirm the report of Williams’s death “until we see hard evidence.”
Williams’s father and a married brother reside in Tucson, where Williams lost his sister-in-law, niece, and nephew in last week’s disappearances.
Scotland Yard reports that the London bombing appeared to be the work of Northern Ireland terrorists and might have been a case of retribution. Captain Howard Sullivan called his 29-year-old subordinate, victim Alan Tompkins, “one of the finest men and brightest investigators it has been my privilege to work with.”
Sullivan added that Williams and Tompkins had become friends after the writer had interviewed the investigator for an article on terrorism in England several years ago. The two had just emerged from the Armitage Arms Pub in London when a bomb exploded in Tompkins’s Scotland Yard vehicle.
Tompkins’s remains have been identified, though only items of personal identification of Williams were recovered from the scene.

Aneurin shook his head at the news. Though he wondered if it was real or was it fake or some propaganda. When Robert came in, Aneurin showed him the news.

"Buck was killed in a car bomb in London?", asked Robert, "He was on the flight to London on the night of the vanishings."

"Well, it says that he's presumed dead", said Aneurin, "But I don't know."

"Well, I've heard that he was meeting with Alan Tompkins from Scotland Yard to find out about Dirk's murder."

"You think Uncle Dirk was murdered?"

"I don't think he's killed himself. Remember when Dad said that Dirk has always been known to be a klutz?"

"It was because he was left handed."

"That's right."

"Now I'm wondering, you know, what got him thinking of what Dad had been telling him about. I wonder if he had prayed to become a believer."

"I would like to know myself. But I don't know."

Soon after, Josiah decided to show Aneurin the checking accounts and the saving accounts that his father had set up and he showed him his own saving accounts and checking accounts.

"You think we could get money from them?", asked Aneurin.

"Yes", said Josiah, "My dad had two for himself, and one for each of my brothers and sisters and myself. Then I got a saving account and a checking account of my own."

"Wow. What would we use them for?"

"We could use the checking accounts to pay the bills. Then have the payment that I get from the hospital as a registered nurse."

They continued to look through. Soon after, they ate some dinner, which was a roast chicken. Then they said a prayer and headed for bed. There was a lot of things ahead.

[Some may think they have all the time in the world when really they don't.]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jasmine_childoftheking

Feb 26, 2024
Oregon
✟17,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chapter XII

At the hospital, Molly had been dozing off and on. She was starting to improve. That was a good sign. She wondered how long it could be before she could go home, if she could. Josiah had come in to the check on her to see how she was doing. Then the doctor came to examine her once more. When Josiah came in once again, she wanted to to talk to him.

"So no knowing who the Antichrist might be", said Molly.

"No, but I sure like to keep up on the news", said Josiah, "I wouldn't want to get fooled like everyone else."

"What's the latest news?"

"Well, I've heard that the journalist, Cameron Williams, was presumed dead in a London Car Bomb. Oh, and that Nicolae Carpathia is to speak at the United Nations."

"You know, he kind of looks like... whose that actor from Oceans 11?"

"Brad Pitt. I've actually thought the same."

Soon after, Josiah went to check on the other patients.

Later that day, to Robert , Everett, Aneurin, and Santiago’s amazement, they saw that Buck was alive on TV. How could that be? One moment he was dead then now he's alive on national TV. Then there was a big moment where Nicolae Carpathia was speaking at the United Nations. He appeared an inch or two over six feet tall, broad shouldered, thick chested, trim, athletic, tanned, and blond. His thick shock of hair was trimmed neatly around the ears, sideburns, and neck, and his navy-on-navy pinstripe suit and matching tie were exquisitely conservative. Everett was actually amazed that he was looking directly at the camera without a prompter.

"These nations, great and small, have had their fill of the death and maiming of their most promising citizens in the prime of their youth. Our forebears were thinking globally long before I was born,” Carpathia said. “In 1944, the year the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank were established, this great host nation, the United States of America, along with the British Commonwealth and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, met at the famous Dumbarton Oaks Conference to propose the birth of this body. From its official birth on October 24, 1945, and that first meeting of your General Assembly in London, January 10, 1946, to this day, tribes and nations have come together to pledge their wholehearted commitment to peace, brotherhood, and the global community.”

"You know what", said Everett, "Peace doesn't sound like a bad idea right now."

"Yeah, especially the way things are now", said Aneurin.

As they've watched, Carpathia gave the names of member country of the United Nations in alphabetical order,

"Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Antiqua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo (Republic of the), Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czechia (Czech Republic), Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial, Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti., Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lao, People’s Democratic Republic Latvia , Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia (Federated States of), Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar Republic of Korea, Republic of Moldova, Romania, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Switzerland, Sweden, Syria, Tajikistan, Thailand, The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Timor Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu."

"I wonder why we don't have something like that running in America", said Santiago.

"Uganda, Ukraine", Carpathia continued, "United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United of Republic of Tanzania, United States of America."

When Carpathia mentioned the United States of America, Robert, Everett, Aneurin, and Santiago gave an applause. Then Carpathia continued with the list of member countries of the UN-

"Urguay, Uzbekistan, Vanduatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe."

In the hospital, Molly had turn on the TV and watched the same thing. She couldn't keep her eyes off of Carpathia, and she was amazed of how he was able to speak without a prompter, if the there was one. Perhaps, she thought, peace wouldn't be such a bad idea right now. That time, Josiah had come in to check on her and he saw the same thing.

"Now what you've just seen today is a glimpse of what we can have in the global community", said Carpathia, "Instead of fighting each other, we will strive for peace. As a popular song writer years ago said, 'The World will be as one.'"

"“Talk about a man taking a city by storm,” said the anchorman on CNN, “They’re already calling him Saint Nick, and he’s the toast of New York.”

Molly thought that whoever the Antichrist was, he would have to face Nicolae Carpathia one day. She thought that he seemed like a Christian. If he did, she wondered how he missed the Rapture.

"You know, the Antichrist, whoever he is", stated Aneurin, after he and the rest have watched the coverage, "He's going to have to face someone like Nicolae Carpathia one day. I can't wait to see that."

"Well, doesn't make you wonder how he missed the Rapture?", asked Robert, "He sure seems like a Christian."

"I never really cared much for politics before", said Santiago, "But this Carpathia guy seems cool. It almost makes me think that there's a hope for something."

"I hear you there", said Everett.

They began to wonder that with things going on, peace would be idea. Oh, how would they need it.

[Well, a lot going on now. Will they be able to find out the truth? We'll find out soon enough]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jasmine_childoftheking

Feb 26, 2024
Oregon
✟17,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chapter XIII

Aneurin decided he would go see visit Molly at the hospital.

“I’ll drive you there”, said Robert, “But I can’t stay there long. I’m meeting with Pan-con to see about any future flights. I might be a co-pilot.”

”Nice!”, said Everett, “I think Santiago will go as well to the hospital. I can drive Aneurin back when the visiting hours are up.”

Robert nodded in agreement. He and Aneurin got in his car while Everett and Santiago got in another car.

As Robert drove to Arlington Heights, there was still traffic. Though he knew it would be like that for a while. He and Aneurin hardly said anything. Though they started to reflect on how they had gone to Sunday School as children then dropped out when they got older. Even though they were brothers and Molly was their sister, they didn’t have the best relationship before the vanishings. When their Uncle Dirk visited, he would take them to either a Cubs or a White Sox Game. Then he and Carl would go to a Bears Game. Well, those days were sure over.

Molly had been in the hospital for quite a few days now. As she laid there, she began to ponder on things before the vanishings. When she was a little kid, she would asked Carl to if she can do a little kid activity in the Global Weekly.

“It’s almost your bedtime, sweetie”, Carl would say.

“Please, Daddy”, Molly said, “Just one.”

Then he let her do a little kids section, which she would color. When her Uncle Dirk visited from London, he had taken her to a Chicago Sky game. When she turned 10, she got into figure skating and won quite a few competition. Now with the vanishings, things would never be the same again. After a while, Robert and Aneurin arrived.

”I can’t stay long”, stated Robert, “I got a meeting with Pan-Con. I might become a co-pilot.”

”Any idea who the captain is?”, asked Molly.

”I’m not sure. Rayford Steele already has a new co-pilot, Nicholas Edward. I could possibly stay with second officer pilot for Ray and Nick. But I don’t know.”

”I’m sure it would be nice to be back in the air”, said Aneurin.

Then Molly proceeded to tell Robert and Aneurin how Josiah showed her the video from Pastor Billings on a flash drive on his laptop.

“He said on there something about a world leader rising to power”, said Molly, “Josiah said Bruce mentioned about the rise of the Antichrist.”

“Yes”, said Robert, “He could be out there now.”

Soon a knock came on the door, and the doctor came in.

”Alright, I’m going to check some things out here”, said the doctor, then he turned to Robert and Aneurin, “Could you two step out? It will take about a minute or so.”

Robert and Aneurin nodded and stepped out.

They went to the lounge, where they met with Josiah, who was making some tea, Everett, and Santiago.

“So you’re not a coffee drinker?”, asked Aneurin.

“Not really”, said Josiah, “My father was an avid coffee drinker. I never really liked the taste.”

“My mom told me not to start anytime soon. Otherwise, I start getting all jitters.”

”The doctor is examining Molly right now“, said Robert, looking at the clock on his iPhone, “But I should probably get going soon.”

“It’s quite alright”, said Josiah.

Robert left soon after. Everett, Aneurin, and Santiago looked at one another. They wondered how much longer Molly would need to stay.

“I’m thinking it will be real soon that she’ll be dismissed”, said Josiah, “Then I’ll take her to stay at my parents home.”

”Will you take anymore in?”, asked Everett.

“I‘ve heard from Ashton Cleaver and Lucille Moise. They’ll be coming to stay as well.”

“It’s sure going to be crowded“, said Santiago, “Though it’s a pretty large house.”

Soon after, the doctor came out to give an update. He explained that Molly was going to be fine, and should be dismissed in a couple of days or so. Aneurin asked if he could see her.

”For only about half hour”, answered the doctor, “Then you should get going and let her rest.”

“We’ll wait here”, said Everett.

Aneurin nodded, and went to see Molly. In the meantime, Josiah went back to check on some of the other patients.

[It sounds like Molly is going to be okay. Now the question is: will she be ready to become a believer? She may come around to do that]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jasmine_childoftheking

Feb 26, 2024
Oregon
✟17,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chapter XIV

Lionel decided he needed to find his Uncle Andre. He wondered if Andrew's former fiancee, Talia Grey, would help. He jogged out to his bike and rode directly home. He was not aware of Judd following him. He was still certain he would be safe, but it did make him feel better to know that the others cared about him. Lights were on, but no cars were in the driveway. Who was there? Lionel stepped to the door and raised his hand to knock, suddenly realizing how silly that was. This is my own he thought. He walked in and went straight upstairs to his room. He heard quick footsteps from a back room downstairs. They came across the hardwood floors in the living room, into the dining room, and up the stairs.

“LeRoy?” Talia called out. “I didn’t see you guys pull in.”

Lionel stepped into the hall and could tell he had startled her.

“Hey, Talia,” he said simply. “I need you to take me to André.”

“Yeah, right,” she said. “Like I know where he is.”

“I know you know where he is. And if you don’t take me to him, he’s going to be upset.”

“I heard he was dead."

“Cut the baloney. We both know you chased off a friend of mine today. He heard you talking to André on the phone, and it was obvious he was worried about me.”

“If I hear from him. I’ll tell him you’re fine.”

“Is there a car in the garage?”

She hesitated. “No. There’s not. Why?”

Lionel sensed she was lying. “I know there is,” he said. “C’mon and take me.”

“That’s LeRoy’s two-seat roadster. He’ll kill me if I take it.”

“You’re not takin’ it,” Lionel said. “You’re borrowing it. You’ll probably be back before LeRoy is.”

Talia appeared to be thinking it over.

“I wouldn’t mind seein’ André myself,” she said. “LeRoy and them haven’t been getting back before one or two in the morning the last couple of nights anyway.”

“Let’s go,” Lionel said.

“I’d better call him first.”

“Who? LeRoy?”

“No! André!”

“We both know he’s hiding out. He’s not going anywhere.”

“You think of everything, you little brat. And there’s no way you’re only thirteen.”

Lionel ignored her, taking both comments as compliments.

Aneurin sat with Molly at the hospital for about half hour. They talked things over, about whether mom and dad were right. Both Aneurin and Molly even thought of their Sunday School teacher, Jackie. She was the one who invited the family to New Hope Village Church. Then after the half hour were up, the doctor came in.

"I'm going have to kick you out, young man", the doctor said to Aneurin.

"It's alright", said Aneurin, "So she's going to be fine."

"Yes. But we should let her rest before she could get released."

"Alright then."

Aneurin said goodbye to Molly and left the room. He met up with Everett and Santiago in the lounge, and they got in Everett's car. He drove back to Josiah's house, and waited.

“So, Talia,” Lionel asked as Talia drove the roadster though she seemed to have trouble concentrating on the road, “where were you when the disappearances happened?”

“What?” she said, as if demanding to know what in the world he was talking about. “Where was I?”

“Yeah. Simple question. Everybody remembers where they were. I was sleeping in my basement with André. Where were you?”

“I was at a party André should a been at. So he was with you?”

“He didn’t tell you where he was?”

“No! I told you! He’s usually at all the parties, but he owed these guys some money, so I figured he was laying low.”

“I thought he was hanging with us because we’re family.”

“Oh, yeah,” Talia said. That’s André. Big family man.”

“He could be, at times.”

“I know. Whenever he really needed something, he played you guys like banjos. When he needed cash or a place to crash, he’d run back to the family and get religion. Am I right? Huh? Am I right?”

Lionel shook his head and looked out the window. Talia was driving toward Chicago. It didn’t seem to slip past her that Lionel had ignored her question.

“Tell me,” she said. “Isn’t that what André pulled on your family every time?”

“Yeah,” Lionel muttered. “So, what did you think when people disappeared?”

“Nobody disappeared from that party, honey. Made me start believin’ it was only Jesus’ people who flew away.”

“You believe that?”

“No! I’m just sayin’…”

“That’s what I believe, Talia.”

She whirled to face him. “No lie?”

“No lie,” Lionel assured her, nodding toward the road where another car was signaling to move into Talia’s lane.

Lionel hated when she took her eyes from the road. She was an erratic enough driver when she was paying attention.

“So,” she said, “how’d you miss out then, comin’ from a family like yours? André says they’re all gone but him and you.”

“Right,” Lionel said, and for the next several minutes and most of the ride to Chicago, he told her his story.

Lionel almost wished he hadn’t started on the subject. Within minutes, Talia was wiping her eyes with her fingers while still trying to maneuver LeRoy’s roadster through Chicago traffic. Lionel was eager to reconnect with André, but he didn’t want Talia crying and driving at the same time. He was relieved when she finally pulled to the side of a street about six blocks south of where the police found the body they thought was André’s. Talia shifted into park and buried her face in her hands.

“My mama’s gone too,” she wailed. “I knew the truth. I always knew the truth. I was raised the same way you were. Well, maybe not the same, but Mama warned me and warned me about this!”

“It’s not too late, Talia,” Lionel said. “I’m a believer now, and so are three of my friends and lots of other people—”

“No! No! It’s too late. When Jesus took the Christians away, the Holy Ghost left and nobody can be saved anymore!”

“That’s not in the Bible,” Lionel said. “You need to talk to our pastor.”

“Your pastor was left behind?” Talia said.

Lionel told Bruce’s story.

“And he told us the Bible talks about a great harvest of souls during the last seven years of the world. Something like a billion and a half people will get saved, and there’ll be like 144,000 Jewish evangelists.”

“Even if what you’re saying is true, Lionel,” Talia said, “I know I’m too far gone. If there really is a second chance, I don’t deserve one, I know that.”

“Nobody deserves a first chance. If we had to deserve it, nobody would make it.”

To Lionel it appeared that Talia suddenly realized she was pouring her heart out to a thirteen-year-old boy. She quickly wiped her eyes again, turned the rearview mirror so she could check her face, and quit crying.

“André is close by,” she said, “but I’m gonna have to let him know you’re here and find out if he wants to see you.”

“Never mind,” Lionel said, reaching for his door handle. “He does.”

“You can’t just barge in there with me,” she said.

“Yes, I can, and you know it. You know he wants to see me.”

Talia hesitated. She snorted. “True enough,” she said. “He probably wants to see you more than he wants to see me.”

Lionel got out of the car, prepared to follow Talia.

As he fell into step behind her, he said, “You two not getting along?”

“I’d still marry him, messed up as he is.”

“He doesn’t want to?”

“Obviously! But I’m scared to death to be facin’ the future alone.”

“But André is really messed up,” Lionel said.

“Not as much as me,” she said.

Lionel wondered what kind of a couple those two would make.

Molly laid in her hospital. She would sure be glad to get out of there in a couple of days, but where could she go? Robert and Aneurin had told her of the robbery at their house, so there wasn't any sense to go back there. Josiah came to check on her once again. She wondered if he was going to be her nurse during her time though, though there had been some other ones.

"Well, any idea where I'm going to go?", asked Molly.

"I've taken in quite a few people already", said Josiah, "I like to take you in as well, Honey."

This was a first. He called her "Honey." She wanted to ask him why, though she didn't want to be nosy.

"So you'll take me in to your place?", she asked.

"Well, it's my parents house", answered Josiah, "Though I've moved back in when my apartment was ransacked. There's a lot of that going on. I've cleared out my apartment, and moved back into my parents place. It's a huge house, lot of space."

"So why is that?"

"Well, when I became a believer, when you were admitted, I've got the feeling that God wanted me to look after you."

"Is that so?"

"It may sound crazy, but I think God wants me to do this."

Josiah was called into check on another patient, and told Molly he would be back. She had no idea what make of it. Did this Jewish nurse really care about her? He must, now that he was a believer, and he seemed to care about her becoming a believer as well.

[I'm sure we have someone in our life we care about that we like to come to Christ]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jasmine_childoftheking

Feb 26, 2024
Oregon
✟17,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chapter XV

Everett turned on the TV and flipped through the channels. All it seemed was news, and all they seemed to talk about was Carpathia planning to bring peace and the world together.

"I don't believe I've heard any politician say anything like that since I don't know when", said Aneurin, "Even though I've never really followed politics."

"But this Carpathia guy sure is something", said Everett.

"I wonder how long he's going to be here in the US", said Santiago, "Do you suppose Romania will permit him to stay longer?"

"Possibly."

They remembered that they had to be on the look out for the Antichrist. But who could it be? Well, there was President Gerald Fitzhugh, but Bruce didn't think so. Everett thought that if he had to guess, it would be Mwangati Ngumo, who was the UN Secretary General. But perhaps it wasn't him. The boys knew that Nicolae Carpathia has been getting big crowds behind him. But surely he couldn't be the Antichrist, could he? Aneurin couldn't imagine someone trying to save world being the Antichrist.

Rayford guessed he was half an hour behind Chloe, and he was impressed that she had left the garage door open for him. When he found the door locked between the garage and the house, however, he was concerned. He knocked. No answer. Rayford reopened the garage door to go around to the front, but just before shutting it on his way out, he stopped. Something was different in the garage. He flipped on the light to add to the single bulb of the door opener. All three cars were in their places, bu. He walked around the Jeep at the end. Raymie’s stuff was missing! His bike. His four-wheeler. What was this? Rayford jogged to the front door. The window of the storm door was broken and the door hung on one hinge. The main door had been kicked in. No small feat, as the door was huge and heavy with a dead bolt. The entire frame had been obliterated and lay in pieces on the floor of the entryway. Rayford rushed in, calling for Chloe. He ran from room to room, praying nothing had happened to the only family member he had left. Everything of immediate material value seemed to be gone. Radios, televisions, DVD players, iPods, jewelry, video games, the silver, even the china. To his relief there was no sign of blood or struggle. Rayford was on the phone to the police when his call waiting clicked.

“I hate to put you on hold,” he said, “but that may be my daughter.”

It was.

“Oh, Daddy!” she said, crying. “Are you all right? I came in through the garage and saw all that stuff missing. I thought maybe they’d come back, so I locked the door to the garage and was going to lock the front, but I saw the glass and wood and everything, so I ran out the back. I’m three doors down.”

“They’re not coming back, hon,” he said. “I’ll come get you.”

“Mr. Anderson said he would walk me home.”

A few minutes later Chloe sat rocking on the couch, her arms folded across her stomach. She told the police officer, Ashton, what she had told her father; then he took Rayford’s statement.

“You folks don’t use your burglar alarm?”, asked Ashton.

Rayford shook his head.

“That’s my fault", he said, " We used it for years when we didn’t need it, and I got tired of being awakened in the middle of the night with the false alarms and the . . . the, uh—”

“Calls from us, I know,” said Ashton, “That’s what everybody says. But this time it would have been worth it, huh?”

“Hindsight and all that,” Rayford said. “Never really thought we needed the security in this neighborhood.”

“This kind of crime is up two hundred percent here in the last week alone. The bad guys know we don’t have the time or manpower to do a blessed thing about it.”

“Well, will you put my daughter’s mind at ease and tell her they aren’t interested in hurting us and that they won’t be back?”

“That’s right, miss,” said Ashton, “Your dad should get this door boarded up till it can be fixed, and I would arm that security system. But I wouldn’t expect a repeat visit, at least not by the same bunch. We talked to the people across the street. They saw some kind of a carpet-service minivan here for about half an hour this afternoon. They went in the front, came through, opened the garage door, backed into the empty space in there, and carted your stuff off almost under your noses.”

“Nobody saw them break in the front?”

“Your neighbors don’t have a clear view of your entrance. Nobody really does. Slick job.”

“I’m just glad Chloe didn’t walk in on them,” Rayford said.

Ashton nodded on his way out. “You can be grateful for that. I imagine your insurance will take care of a lot of this. I don’t expect to be recovering any of it. We haven’t had any luck with the other cases.”

Rayford embraced Chloe, who was still shaking.

“Can you do me a favor, Dad?” she said.

“Anything.”

“I want another copy of that DVD, the one from the pastor.”

“I’ll call Bruce, and we’ll pick one up tonight.”

Suddenly Chloe laughed.

“Now this is funny?” Rayford said.

“I just had a thought,” she said, smiling through her tears. “What if the burglars watch that DVD?”

Robert arrive at his meeting with Pan-Con, and met with Earl Halliday, the CEO.

"Well, you know Robert", said Earl, "We haven't had many flights with the disappearances and all. Well, at least not any commercial flights."

"So what will you have me do?", asked Robert, "I don't think I'm up to being captain yet."

"Oh, you're not quite there yet. Though I'm sure you could make a great first officer... a co-pilot. You'd show how much determination you had as second officer pilot."

"I won't deny that, even with the vanishings on that night on our flight to London."

"Right. As soon we have an opening for you to be co-pilot, I'll call and let you know."

"I appreciate that."

They shook hands, and Earl dismissed Robert. Robert figured it could be a while until there was an opening for him as co-pilot for the Pan-Con, if it was to continue.

Molly thought of turning on the TV, though she figured that all the news would be talking about Nicolae Carpathia. She knew he was getting big crowds behind him, and was already being embraced by the the United States. She figured it wouldn't be long before he was embraced by the world. But who was the Antichrist that the video from Pastor Billings and Bruce were talking about? Surely, it couldn't be Carpathia. She couldn't imagine that someone who was handsome, charming, and especially when he's planning to bring peace to the world, to be the Antichrist. But how would she know? A female nurse came in to check on her.

"Anything you need miss?", asked the female nurse.

"Just some water", said Molly.

The female nurse left for a moment, and came back to give Molly a cup of water with ice. Soon, the female nurse left. Molly drank some water. She saw it had to be night, so she decided to fall asleep.

[What could happen? We're about to find out soon]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jasmine_childoftheking

Feb 26, 2024
Oregon
✟17,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chapter XVI

Lucille had finished clearing her dorm out in South Chicago. Then she went on her way to Josiah's parents home. Josiah had texted her directions to the house. She put her GPS on, and typed in the address. She figured what traffic would be like for a while, until they could clear the roads up from the accidents that happened during the vanishings. She said a prayer that she would get to safety and would not get lost finding the house, and for Molly. After awhile, she found Josiah's parent's house without any trouble. She pulled in, and the boys welcomed her in.

"So we're staying here for awhile", said Lucille.

"Well, if we got nowhere else to be", said Santiago, "There has been a lot of robbery going on."

"And the police can't do anything to stop people from looting", said Everett, "They must be preoccupied with trying to figure out how many people are missing."

"I figure that", said Lucille, "You know we got a police officer from Chicago coming to stay here as well."

"Ashton Cleaver", said Aneurin, "Yeah, Josiah and Robert told us about him. I think Josiah said he wants to bring Molly in as well."

"It would be nice to have another girl stay here."

Chloe didn’t want to stay home alone that evening. She rode with her father to the church where Bruce Barnes met them and gave them another DVD. He shook his head when he heard about the break-in.

“It’s becoming epidemic,” he said. “It’s as if the inner city has moved to the suburbs. We’re no safer here anymore.”

It was all Rayford could do to keep from telling Bruce that replacing the stolen DVD was Chloe’s idea. He wanted to tell Bruce to keep praying, that she must still be thinking about things. Maybe the invasion of the house had made her feel vulnerable. Maybe she was getting the point that the world was much more dangerous now, that there were no guarantees, that her own time could be short. But Rayford also knew he could offend her, insult her, push her away if he used this situation to sic Bruce on her. She had enough information; he just had to let God work on her. Still, he was encouraged and wanted to let Bruce know what was going on. He supposed he would have to wait for a more opportune time. While they were out, Rayford bought items that needed to be replaced right away, including a TV. He arranged to have the front door fixed and got the insurance paperwork started. Most important, he armed the security system. Still, he knew, neither he nor Chloe would sleep soundly that night.

Talia led Lionel around the back of a three-story brick apartment building in a bad neighborhood. Lionel wondered if Judd, Vicki, and Ryan were still keeping track of him. In a way he hoped they were, but he also wondered what three white kids would do to protect him in this neighborhood. As they approached the rear entrance, Lionel noticed the lights went off in the apartment at that end on the top floor. As they climbed the square staircase, Lionel was quickly enveloped in odors and noise. People were apparently cooking, arguing, and fighting. As they reached the third floor, where the lights at the end of the building had gone out, Talia put a finger to her lips and knocked four times at the door. Silence. She knocked four times again. “Open up, André!” she called out. “It’s jes’ me.”

“Somebody’s with you!” André hissed from just inside the door, “Who is that?”

“It’s your nephew! Now open up!”

Before the words were out of her mouth, André had begun the process of unlocking, unbolting, unchaining, and opening the door. He peered out from the dark apartment, then grabbed Talia and Lionel and yanked them inside. He shut, locked, bolted, and chained the door in the dark.

“Now,” he said finally. “Let’s get a look at you.”
Lionel couldn’t help but chuckle. His uncle had always been a little crazy, but—

“It’ll be a long time before my eyes get used to the darkness and I can see you,” Lionel said. “Get a light on in here.”

Lionel heard André feeling along the wall for a switch. When a single, bare bulb came on above them, Lionel was stunned to see his wasted uncle. André was barefoot and wore a pair of old, shiny suit pants and a sleeveless T-shirt with food stains down the front. He appeared to not have bathed for days. His hair was matted, his facial hair patchy. His breath smelled of alcohol, and his dark eyes were bloodshot. It was all Lionel could do to keep from gasping and telling his uncle how bad he looked. Lionel assumed André knew that and didn’t care.

“Oh, André!” was all Talia seemed to be able to say, and when he approached her, she stiffened.

Whatever relationship was there or had been there or was trying to be rekindled, Lionel knew André’s present condition wasn’t helping.

“Ain’t there no shower in this place?” she finally managed.

André shrugged. “Yeah, I guess.”

“Get your stinking self in there and get cleaned up,” she said. “Shave and brush your teeth too, and don’t be comin’ back out here until you do.”

André squinted at her and looked as if he were about to burst into tears, but his shoulders sagged and he skulked away like a little boy who’d been ordered about by his mother.

“Oh, man!” he whined.

“Hey,” Lionel said. “I haven’t got all night. I got people who worry about me when I get in late.”

“That’s more than I can say,” Talia said, collapsing into a plastic chair at the Formica-topped dinette table.

A heavy, glass ashtray full of butts and a nearly empty bottle of cheap wine graced the table. Talia noticed them as if an ugly insect had just landed before her.

“Oh, for the love of all things …,” she said, never finishing the thought.

She had just used her foot to slide out another chair for Lionel when she stood and grabbed the wine bottle in one hand and the ashtray in the other. She tossed the bottle into a wastebasket nearly full of beer cans, where it settled at a crazy angle. She held the ashtray at eye level, looked resolutely at Lionel, and let it drop. It smashed the wine bottle, and Lionel heard the last of the wine drip to the bottom of the basket. The contents of the ashtray, however, scattered on the floor. Steam poured from under the door of the nearby bathroom.

Over the sound of the cascading water, André hollered, “What’s goin’ on out there?”

“I’m just clearin’ the table,” Talia answered. “What you been doin’ for food, just drinkin’?”

“That’s all the food I need!” André said. “Don’t be messin’ with my hooch.”

Lionel was disgusted. He was relieved to know that André was still alive, if you could call this living. There was always a chance for André if he didn’t kill himself or get himself killed first. Was this the life André thought was better than what the rest of the family enjoyed? There had never been cigarettes or booze in Lionel’s house.

When guests asked his mother if she minded if they smoked, she always said kindly, “Of course not. I have an air-conditioned facility for you just beyond that door.”

It was the door to the driveway. And when Mrs. Washington’s colleagues at Global Weekly magazine forgot themselves and showed up at dinner parties with gifts of expensive liquor or wine, or if they sent the same as Christmas gifts, she thanked them politely. She did not serve the stuff, of course, but the next day sold it to the manager of the beverage department at the corner store and gave the entire amount to the church.

“The devil used that money long enough,” she would tell her husband sweetly, winking at Lionel. “It’s time the Lord got it back.”

How Lionel missed his mama at times like this! What had he been thinking when he considered being a rebel with André better than being part of the family of God? The only things André had to change into were brightly colored and way-too-big workout shorts and a T-shirt that had been left in the apartment. Lionel could only wonder whose place this was and whose clothes those were. André padded out, keeping the shorts up with one hand.

“You look better,” Talia said, smiling. “But not much.”

André did not smile.

“Man,” he said, “it’s good to see you both.”

Lionel was frustrated. This was no family reunion. This was the only family he had left.

“André,” Lionel said, “I want to know what happened after you left that crazy message on my answering machine.”

Robert arrived at Josiah's parent's house, and informed the others that Earl would give him a call to let him know they had an opening for him as co-pilot for Pan-Con.

"How long that might be?", asked Lucille.

"I don't know", said Robert, "I'm sure it will be before too long."

Robert decided to have a talk with Lucille while the boys went to get some dinner ready. Then Robert began to wonder that if there was going to be only seven years left once the Antichrist signs some kind of peace treaty, if getting into a serious relationship was worth it. He had dated before, though after he started to learn how to fly a plane and learn how to be a pilot, he hadn't really found time to ask a girl out. He had seen them in and after school, but he never really had one special girl.

Josiah was about to end his shift at the hospital. He thought he checked on Molly one last time before he leave. When he did, she had gone to sleep. It was a chilly night, so he decided to give her an extra blanket. He kissed her forehead, and quietly left. He soon got in his car and drove home. What was he thinking? He cared about Molly, that was sure. Surely, he couldn't be thinking of her as something more, not even at her age. She was only 13, ten years his junior. He knew it would be dangerous territory. Plus, if there was only going to be about 7 years left once the Tribulation starts, it might not even be worth getting into some kind of relationship. Oh, Josiah had dated before, but not many had lasted very long. When he was in high school, many girls had swooned over him because of his dark features, olive skin, perfectly white teeth, and was handsome. He had seen girls in and out of school, and while he was in nursing school. But he never had been serious about one girl.

"Father", Josiah prayed, calling God "Father" for the first time, "Now I lift Molly up to you. I thank You for using me to show how much You care and I know You're reaching out to her. I pray that she will respond to You, and will come to You. In Jesus's name. Amen."

Josiah pulled into his driveay about half hour or so later. He saw that Lucille had arrived already, and welcomed her. Oh, it sure be nice to have quite a few people, especially in a house that huge.

[How important it is to pray for those we care about who dont know Jesus.]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jasmine_childoftheking

Feb 26, 2024
Oregon
✟17,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chapter XVII

Ashton had been on police patrol. Since the vanishings, many of those in the police department had been working double shift. Ashton had gotten calls about robberies in the past week. Then he would got calls about murders. Even though he wasn't in the homicide department, Ashton had helped out with solving murders at one time or another. Then his phone rang.

"Cleaver", he said, answering his phone.

"Cleaver", Cole said, "We may suspect some murders tonight or another robbery in Chicago!"

"Alright, I'm on my way!"

Cleaver got in his vehicle and drove to the Chicago Police Station. There, they would wait to see if there was something about another robbery or another a murder. It had increased, and the police had been caught up with trying to find out how many were missing.

The phone rang in Andre's apartment. André jumped, then stared at Talia.

“How’d you get here?” he asked.

“I borrowed LeRoy’s roadster", answered Talia.

“What? He doesn’t loan that out!”

“He doesn’t exactly know.”

“Oh, man!”

André answered the phone and immediately glared at Talia.

“LeRoy!” he mouthed silently. “And he’s not happy.”

He stood and paced, stretching the phone cord to its limit. He whined, cried, begged, explained, and tried to cover for Talia. “

"It was my fault, man,” Andre told LeRoy. “I called and begged her to come here and see me.… Anyone with her? No, why do you ask?… No, you don’t need to come here! She’ll be right back.… I just needed to see her, that’s all. I want to get out of here! When can I live with you guys?… I did my part!… I’m not telling you what to do. I’m just askin’.”

Lionel had no idea what LeRoy was saying, but André was as scared as Lionel had ever seen him.

“I’ll send her right home, LeRoy,” André said, “but remember, this was all my idea. Don’t take it out on her.”

André hung up.

“LeRoy’s mad,” he said.

“No kidding,” Talia said. “And you were a lying wuss. Don’t you ever get tired of being a coward?”

“I was just trying to protect you, girl. You ought to be grateful.”

“You were protectin’ yourself, André! And I don’t need your help.”

“LeRoy will kill you and never think twice about it. You’d better get back there.”

“We’re going,” she said. “Come on, Lionel.”

“I’m not going anywhere,” Lionel said. “I need some answers, and I’ll find my own way back.”

“Well, I’ve got to go. If you want to find your own way back—”

“If you don’t get back soon, Talia,” André said, “LeRoy will come looking for you, and we don’t want that.”

“This bus is pullin’ out, Lionel,” Talia said. “Last call, all aboard.”

He waved her off.

“Suit yourself,” she said, as if he had made the dumbest decision ever. She went through the whole unlocking routine to let herself out, and then André had to lock up again.

“What is all this about?” Lionel demanded. “Talk to me!”

But André had turned out the lights and crept to the window to keep track of Talia on her way to the car.

“Ooh, that is LeRoy’s roadster! Oh, man!”

“What’d you think, we were lying? Now, c’mon, André! I’ve been worried about you for days!”

“Shh!” André said, still peering out the window. “You don’t know what kind of trouble I’m in, and if you’re not out of here soon, you’re gonna be right in it with me.”

Lionel turned the light on, and André ducked away from the window, crashing into a chair.

“Don’t do that!” he said. “Somebody’ll see me!”

“Who are you afraid of? LeRoy isn’t even around here.”

“How do you know? He wasn’t at your house, or he never would have let Talia leave with you.”

“Is he coming here?”

“He might. Not too many other people know where I am.”

“What’s it all about, André? You make that crazy call and leave a long message on our machine that sounds like you’re going to kill yourself, and when I get to your place to check on you, the cops tell me you committed suicide and where I can identify the body. So I go to the place and there you are, but it’s not you. Who killed himself or got himself murdered wearing your clothes and carrying your identification?”

André sat and buried his head in his hands.

“I didn’t mean it to come to all this,” he wailed.

He was interrupted yet again, this time by another knock on the door. He looked up with a start and motioned frantically for Lionel to turn off the light. Lionel did, but then turned it back on when he heard Talia’s voice.

“It’s just me,” she whispered loudly through the door. “Don’t open up. I just wanted to tell you there’s an expensive car full of white kids down the block. Looks like they’re up to no good, but they’re in the wrong neighborhood. They’re going to get that nice car stole. If you pulled that off, André, you might be back in good with LeRoy.”

“I ought to already be back in good with LeRoy,” André said, but Lionel was beginning to unlock the door.

“Don’t be openin’ up now,” Talia insisted. “I’m going.”

“No!” Lionel said. “Wait!” He got the door open. “Those are my friends down there. Tell ’em I’m all right and that they should wait for me. They’re my ride home.”

Talia rolled her eyes and shrugged. “Whatever. But that car would sure get LeRoy’s attention.”

“You and LeRoy already hassled one of the kids in that car,” Lionel said. “One more deal like that and you’ll be out of my house sooner than you think.”

“Ooh, tough guy,” she said. “I’ll tell your chauffeur you’re on your way.”

André and Lionel fell silent, listening to Talia’s footsteps all the way down the stairs and out into the alley, where she fired up the roadster. Lionel turned out the light, and they watched out the window as she pulled down the street and stopped next to Judd’s car. Lionel only hoped the others would believe her and not come charging in to rescue him.

Josiah had been playing the piano for some time, even though it was starting to get late.

"I didn't know you play", said Lucille, "You're really good."

"I've been playing piano since I was a boy", said Josiah.

He would be playing traditional Jewish songs for Passover and Hanukkah, and started to learn how to play some Hymns and Christian worship songs.

"I wonder if you'll play for services at New Hope Village Church", said Everett.

"I suppose I could", said Josiah.

Not only Josiah could played well; he could also sing well, harmonizing in a tenor voice. Soon, all gathered around, with Robert and Everett taking part of baritone, Josiah, Aneurin, and Santiago taking part of tenor, and Lucille taking part of alto.

"Now all we need is a soprano and a bass", said Everett.

"Molly has a high soprano voice", said Aneurin.

"Well, once she and Ashton join us here", said Josiah, "They're welcome to join in.

[Who knew if anyone can sing well?]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jasmine_childoftheking

Feb 26, 2024
Oregon
✟17,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chapter XVIII

After talking with Andre, Lionel had gone back to Judd, Vicki, and Ryan. However, before he did, Ryan noticed a brown and yellow van which recognized as the one Leroy drove, pulling into the ally way. Judd decided to go with Lionel to see what that was all about. Then they heard a sound, and Lionel knew at once that Andre's apartment burst into flames. They raced there, bust through doors, and got Andre out. André was not a big man, he was barely conscious and unable to help Lionel and Judd get him down two flights of stairs. Judd thought André was trying to talk, but all he could hear was a gurgle above the roar of the flames and the crashing of his own heart. Judd tried to keep his eyes closed because the heat and smoke grated on them. He peeked each time he felt Lionel backing into another turn, and once he saw a burning wood slat drop onto Lionel’s shoulder. Lionel flinched when it hit him, but when it stuck and kept burning, he had to drop one of André’s legs to brush it away. That made Judd lose his grip, and he fought to hang on. André’s weight carried Judd down toward André, and he found himself nearly stumbling over the wounded man. As the boys struggled to get a new hold on André, a great roar and crash came from above them, and Judd knew the top floor was giving way. Would it take the second floor with it and crush them beneath a fiery load? They didn’t have time to wonder. With his skin blistering and his lungs desperate for clear air, Judd thrust his hands deeper under André’s arms, lifted, and began moving as quickly as he knew how. He tried to keep as much weight as possible off Lionel, who was lighter and lower on the stairs, trying to guide their cargo to safety. André thrashed and screamed, and Judd wondered if he would have to punch him in the face to protect him from himself, the way he had seen in movies. But there was no time, and he didn’t know if he was strong enough to knock out a grown man anyway. Fire surrounded the boys, and Judd heard the walls and ceiling dropping behind him. The whole staircase shuddered beneath their weight, and as the last of the other tenants pushed through the front door and out into the night, three firemen swept in, axes in hand, and surveyed the scene. They apparently didn’t see Judd and Lionel and André at first. They studied the crumbling holocaust, looked at each other, shook their heads, and turned to head back out.

“Hey!” Judd shrieked. “Help us!”

The three whirled as one, tossed their axes out through the glass doors, and rushed up the stairs.

“You boys get out now!” the first said. “We’ve got this guy!”

Judd let go of André, who now rested awkwardly with his head upstairs and his feet in Lionel’s hands. Lionel refused to let go. Judd kept the front door in sight, fearing he would pass out if he didn’t get fresh air, and right now. He grabbed Lionel on the way past and was amazed at how strong the younger boy was. Judd could barely budge him at first, but with his weight heading down, he got enough leverage and yanked Lionel away from his uncle. Just as the first fireman lifted André and threw him over his shoulder, the whole staircase dropped three feet. That made the firemen and the boys fall onto the burning floor, and André dropped onto his back.

“Get out! Get out!” the first fireman yelled. “All of you!”

He lifted André again and used his knees and shoulders to herd the boys the last few feet to the door. At a dead run now, the big man carried the thrashing André on his back. He charged through what was left of the glass, Judd and Lionel a step ahead of him. The four of them tumbled and rolled out into the night air, landing in a heap in the grass. Judd sucked in the sweet air for his very life. The fireman dragged André thirty feet from the inferno and laid him on his back, barking into his radio for paramedics. He whirled to face the building and, not seeing his coworkers, sprinted back, grabbing his axe on the way. Judd watched him call for support, frantic to get to the two firemen still trapped inside.
As more firemen donned oxygen masks and began the dangerous journey into the fire, Judd turned back to see Lionel sprawled nearly atop his uncle, who appeared to be breathing his last. Blood still spurted from the right side of his neck, but his heartbeat had slowed and weakened.

“No! No!” Lionel screamed. “God, don’t let him die! André!”

Judd covered with his hand the deep wound in André’s neck as the man tried to talk.

“This is what hell will be like,” he rasped. “I deserve it, Lionel.”

“No! We all deserve it, André! But you don’t have to go! Don’t go!”

“It’s too late for me. I’m not gonna make it, boy.”

“André! You can still go to heaven! Pray! Pray!”

“It’s too late.”

“It wasn’t too late for the thief on the cross! Please, André!”

Judd’s fingers were directly on the carotid artery, which is where Judd assumed André had been shot before the apartment was set afire. He felt precisely when André’s heart stopped. André thrashed a bit more, shaking his head.

“Can’t breathe,” he whispered. And suddenly he went rigid.

Lionel sobbed while using his shirttail to wipe André’s face and his own mouth. He leaned over and began mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, but Judd knew the heartbeat was as important as the breathing. Judd began rhythmically pushing on André’s chest, and with each thrust a tiny rivulet of blood eked from André’s neck.

“It’s no use, Lionel,” Judd said. “He’s gone.”

“No! Don’t give up!”

Two medics arrived and pulled the boys off André.

“Let me get in here, guys,” one said. “I can do more than you can.”

He slapped an oxygen mask on André as his partner felt for a pulse in the neck.

“What happened to this guy?” he said.

“I think he was shot,” Judd said.

“Keep him alive!” Lionel insisted.

“It’s too late, son. I’m sorry. This man is gone. Now we have firemen to attend to. I’m sorry.”

Lionel was inconsolable. He would not leave André’s body, even when the medics came back and covered it with a sheet and told Lionel someone would be there soon for the body. Judd tried to get Lionel to come with him back to the car, but he would not budge. He didn’t talk, didn’t pray, didn’t do anything but kneel next to André, rocking and shaking his head as he wept.

“I’m going to go tell Vicki and Ryan what happened and bring the car back to get you,” Judd said, “I’ll be back as soon as I can, but I’m probably not going to be able to park very close. You don’t have to come until someone comes for André, OK? I’ll be right back."

Judd planned to jog back to the car, but when he rose, he could barely walk. He didn’t know what he had done to strain his ankles, his knees, his hips, even his shoulders. He felt like an old man, slowly making his way past the tenants, the onlookers, and the emergency vehicles. The cool night air felt good in his lungs, but it stung his face, which he was afraid to touch. He knew he would have blisters and burns, but he was sure he had not been seriously or permanently injured. The farther Judd got from the burning building, the stranger the experience seemed. Was this a dream? Had it really happened? He couldn’t imagine anything as traumatic as losing his family to the Rapture and being left behind, but neither had he ever been through something like this. The sounds of the blaze faded more with each step, and though he saw the shadows of the flames in the darkness, he had to turn and look once more to let the reality set in. Judd began to pray. He felt sobs rising in his chest as he thanked God that LeRoy, or whoever had done this, had not arrived while Lionel was still in that apartment. Surely he too would have been shot and burned to death. Lionel had tried so hard to reach his uncle for God. Judd could only hope that Lionel would eventually accept that these decisions were personal. After all, that was why both he and Lionel had been left behind in the first place. No one could make the decision for them. The police had already barricaded several streets leading to the apartment fire. Judd finally decided he couldn’t cater to his fatigue and pain anymore. He owed it to Vicki and to Ryan to get to them and tell them how much longer he would be. But when he got to where he had left them in the car, he found nothing. Now what? Neither of them was old enough to drive. Had someone stolen the car? If so, where were Vicki and Ryan? Had LeRoy come by here? Judd spun around in the street, his eyes landing on a cop directing traffic away from the fire. The cop was short and husky with thick, wavy blond hair.

“Someone stole my car!” Judd shouted. “And two of my friends were in it!”

“So they stole it,” the cop said. “Find them, you find your car.”

“They’re both too young to drive.”

“Then find ’em quick. I’m kinda busy here.”

“I have no idea where to look.”

The cop talked without looking at Judd, keeping his attention on the traffic. “What kind of a car was it?”

“A BMW.”

The cop laughed. “Daddy’s car, hmm?”

“Yup.”

“And what was a nice boy like you doing in a neighborhood like this with a car like that?”

“Looking out for a friend.”

“Another rich kid with no business here?”

“Not exactly.”

“Can’t help you, son. ’Fraid lost or even stolen cars are pretty low priority these days. We barely had enough guys to handle this fire.”

“If I tell you who firebombed that building and murdered a guy, will you help me find my car?”

The cop suddenly focused on Judd. “You’re serious, aren’t you?”

“I couldn’t be more serious,” he said.

“Wait right there,” the cop said. He hurried to the side of the street and dragged into the intersection an oversized, blue wooden construction horse with “Police Line. Do Not Cross” painted on it in white. He stepped to his squad car and spoke into his radio. Then he waved Judd over. His nameplate read Sgt. Thomas Fogarty.

“That’ll take care of the traffic until I get some backup,” he said. “Now, listen—whew, you smell like you were in that fire.”

“I was,” Judd said, eager to tell his story.

Sergeant Fogarty grabbed Judd by the shirt and pushed him up against a light pole. “You listen to me, kid. This has nothing to do with you, but I was in the homicide division until I got busted back down to traffic detail for reasons you don’t need to know. I tell you that only so you’ll know that I understand murder. I’m not lookin’ to crack some new case to get back into homicide, but that wouldn’t be bad either. The thing is, if you know anything about this fire and it really involves a murder, I’ll know whether you’re lying or if there’s a ring of truth to it. Now what’s your name?”

Judd told him and showed him his driver’s license. “How long you been drivin’?” Fogarty asked.

“Not that long,” Judd said.

Fogarty directed Judd to the squad car, where they sat in the front seat. The cop radioed in a request for an APB (all points bulletin) on Judd’s car. Then Judd told him the whole story. He began with losing his family in the vanishings (“I lost a few relatives myself,” Fogarty said) and told how he and Lionel had met. He told the cop about the phony suicide/murder, the invasion of Lionel’s home, Ryan’s close call, Lionel’s visit to André that evening, and everything that followed.

“So you’re guessing this LeRoy is the shooter because your friend, what’s his name—?”

“Ryan.”

“Right, Ryan ID’d the yellow and brown van.”

“Right.”

“Let’s get you back over to the scene and see if we can help your friend and be sure the body is taken care of.”

As Sergeant Fogarty pulled out into traffic his radio squawked to life with the news that a cruiser had just pulled over the BMW that was the subject of the APB.

"Who’s the driver?” Fogarty asked.

“Female Caucasian, Byrne, Victoria, underage, no license", Ashton radioed, "Other occupant male Caucasian, Daley, Ryan, age twelve.”

“Ten-four. What’s their story?”

“She says they were awaiting two other friends, the driver, male Caucasian, Thompson, Judd Jr., sixteen, and male African-American, Washington, Lionel, thirteen. Long story, Sarge. She thought they were safe with the doors locked and engine idling. Claims they were nearly hit by a van.”

“Let me guess. It was yellow and brown.”

“Ten-four.”

“That checks out. Don’t cite her unless there’s some obvious violation.”

She wasn’t moving when I found her. Nothing to cite.”

“Give me your ten-twenty, and I’ll bring the driver within the hour.”

André’s body was being loaded into an ambulance when Sergeant Fogarty pulled up to the scene. He asked a paramedic to check for a carotid artery wound.

Already checked, sir", said the paramedic, "In our opinion, it was the cause of death. That’ll have to be confirmed by the coroner, of course, but this man bled to death. No ID on him, by the way.”

“Let me give you one,” Fogarty said.

He got the information from Judd and Lionel, who sat sullenly in the backseat of the squad car, and the medic pinned the identification to the body.

“It’ll be like looking for a needle in a haystack,” Fogarty told the boys as he drove them back to Judd’s car, “but we’ll use heavy duty metal detectors to try to find the bullet, and maybe the weapon, in the rubble.”

Judd sighed heavily, feeling every ache and pain and grieving with Lionel, who cried softly in the backseat.

Ashton soon called Josiah afterwards.

"So when you'll be ready to move in?" asked Josiah.

"It might be soon", said Ashton, "I just need to wrap things up here. There's been a murder in Chicago."

"What happened?"

Ashton told Josiah of how a man named Leroy Banks had murdered Andre Dupree at his apartment building. Josiah shook his head. The rates of burglary and murders have increased since the vanishings. Now what?

[It may seemed that robberies and murders are taking place. Will the police be able to catch them?]

Last edited:
Upvote 0