• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟584,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello folks. Remember that old adage, where humans have explored more of outer space compared to the oceans? There are volcanoes that exist under the ocean, known as hydrothermal vents, only discovered around 50 years ago. Apparently, scientists are trying to work out if there is life on other objects in space, and astrobiologists theorize that there could be life near underwater volcanoes on Europa (an icy moon of Jupiter). That sounds pretty cool, isn't it? @Astrophile , what are your thoughts on the possibility of life on Europa?

Quote from Space.com: "[Researchers] found that not only could moderately warm vents be maintained over a wide range of conditions on these moons, but that the low gravity allowed for warmer temperatures emanating from the vents. In addition, the low efficiency of heat extraction from the core of the moons (which are thought to be pretty cool in the first place) in the low gravity would allow such moderate- to low-temperature vents to be maintained for possibly billions of years."

Hydrothermal Vent info:

Europa article from Space.com:

Relevant verse about Earth's hydrothermal vents:
Job 38:16 (NIV): "Have you journeyed to the springs of the sea or walked in the recesses of the deep?"

Verse explained:
Job 38:16 is where God asks if Job has journeyed to the springs of the sea or walked in the recesses of the deep – implying a sense of curiosity and exploration about the mysteries beneath the ocean's surface, and how deep God’s knowledge is. The discovery of hydrothermal vents in the 1970s by the Scripps Institute of Oceanography is an example of how humans have sought to uncover these underwater phenomena, over 2200 years after this verse was written. In other words, this verse shows how God knew His creation thousands of years before humans did.

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟58,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Book of Job is something else, how did a primitive man even know to articulate some things that weren't discovered until later? I heard there's a supervolcano under the ocean that is larger than any volcano on land. Maybe the Pacific Ocean?

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟584,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Book of Job is something else, how did a primitive man even know to articulate some things that weren't discovered until later? I heard there's a supervolcano under the ocean that is larger than any volcano on land. Maybe the Pacific Ocean?
Yeah, the Book of Job was divinely inspired. No way that man from 2200 years ago could explain undiscovered features of the Earth that would not be discovered for over 2000 years. Blows my mind. :) Any agnostic and atheist might want to check the book of Job, cos it goes on to explain the water cycle (well, in Job 36), but hey, I am not here to force Christianity on anyone.

I have not heard about the Pacific supervolcano, but have heard of the Yellowstone one. Oh wait, I did hear of the 2022 Tonga eruption. It is not Yellowstone big, but it was the largest recorded eruption in modern history.

Tonga eruption info:

Upvote 0

Uriah S

Stand ready in prayer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2019
Scotland
✟321,281.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Divorced
Many cool things to know about volcanos.

There doesn't seem to be a Pacific Supervolcano though according to ranker.com

You may be thinking of the Pacific "Ring of Fire", or the fact that these hydrothermal vents stretch continuously over 10000 miles from the North Atlantic, through the South Atlantic and Indian Oceans into the Pacific - which some would argue makes that by far the largest volcano known anywhere.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟584,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many cool things to know about volcanos.

There doesn't seem to be a Pacific Supervolcano though according to ranker.com

You may be thinking of the Pacific "Ring of Fire", or the fact that these hydrothermal vents stretch continuously over 10000 miles from the North Atlantic, through the South Atlantic and Indian Oceans into the Pacific - which some would argue makes that by far the largest volcano known anywhere.
Yeah, there is only the Ring of Fire. There is no Pacific supervolcano, though, there are large volcanoes in the Pacific, but not large enough to qualify as a supervolcano.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Uriah S

Stand ready in prayer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2019
Scotland
✟321,281.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm not keen on this term supervolcano, seems a bit unnecessary. I looked it up, there is a definition, but to my mind what makes a volcano super will vary according to who defines it.

I'm happy with volcanos being volcanos. Some are big, some are really big. We know Yellowstone is huge.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟584,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not keen on this term supervolcano, seems a bit unnecessary. I looked it up, there is a definition, but to my mind what makes a volcano super will vary according to who defines it.

I'm happy with volcanos being volcanos. Some are big, some are really big. We know Yellowstone is huge.
Yeah, I am not that fond of the term also. Hey, volcanoes come in different sizes, just like many things in life, and people as well. :)

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟58,640.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Uriah S

Stand ready in prayer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2019
Scotland
✟321,281.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Divorced
That's OK. I'll derail it with a pun: is an eruption a volcano just venting its frustration?
Ba-dum-tss.

It's ok, I suspect all your faults are normal.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟893,226.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
One of the most interesting things (to me, anyway) about the life found near them is that they use a very different source of energy than most life on earth.

The hydrothermal vents are recognized as a type of chemosynthetic based ecosystems (CBE) where primary productivity is fuelled by chemical compounds as energy sources instead of light (chemoautotrophy).[28] Hydrothermal vent communities are able to sustain such vast amounts of life because vent organisms depend on chemosynthetic bacteria for food. The water from the hydrothermal vent is rich in dissolved minerals and supports a large population of chemoautotrophic bacteria. These bacteria use sulfur compounds, particularly hydrogen sulfide, a chemical highly toxic to most known organisms, to produce organic material through the process of chemosynthesis.

--

Obviously for most of our macroscopic earth life, we're ultimately dependent on light/photosynthesis. 'We' are either plants, or things that eat plants, or things that eat things that eat plants.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟375,380.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I like the snails that live on the hydrothermal vents in the Indian Ocean.
Chrysomallon squamiferum, also called the volcano snail, the iron snail or the scaly footed snail, they're the only animal in known existence to absorb iron metal ions from the sea water and the vents to form iron sulfide armour basically on their bodies.

1724171515333.jpeg

Nasty looking critters, but also very cool. They can come in black, white, or gold, depending on the ratio of iron, sulfide, pyrite and gregite in the vent water.

1724171587234.jpeg

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟261,965.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Chrysomallon squamiferum, also called the volcano snail, the iron snail or the scaly footed snail, they're the only animal in known existence to absorb iron metal ions from the sea water and the vents to form iron sulfide armour basically on their bodies.

View attachment 353543

Nasty looking critters, but also very cool. They can come in black, white, or gold, depending on the ratio of iron, sulfide, pyrite and gregite in the vent water.

View attachment 353544
Ah! Cephalopods. The marine forms are a popular food around the planet and the French adore the land variety. Personally, I have a long standing agreement with the entire phylum: I don't eat any of them, and they don't attempt to eat me. This has worked out well so far - I have never been attacked by an octopus, or even frowned at by a mussel. Crustaceans are a different matter.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟375,380.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Ah! Cephalopods. The marine forms are a popular food around the planet and the French adore the land variety. Personally, I have a long standing agreement with the entire phylum: I don't eat any of them, and they don't attempt to eat me. This has worked out well so far - I have never been attacked by an octopus, or even frowned at by a mussel. Crustaceans are a different matter.

I like to snack on the occasional prawn myself, either cooked as is, skewered on the barbecue, or as a piece of scampi.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟584,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One of the most interesting things (to me, anyway) about the life found near them is that they use a very different source of energy than most life on earth.

The hydrothermal vents are recognized as a type of chemosynthetic based ecosystems (CBE) where primary productivity is fuelled by chemical compounds as energy sources instead of light (chemoautotrophy).[28] Hydrothermal vent communities are able to sustain such vast amounts of life because vent organisms depend on chemosynthetic bacteria for food. The water from the hydrothermal vent is rich in dissolved minerals and supports a large population of chemoautotrophic bacteria. These bacteria use sulfur compounds, particularly hydrogen sulfide, a chemical highly toxic to most known organisms, to produce organic material through the process of chemosynthesis.

--

Obviously for most of our macroscopic earth life, we're ultimately dependent on light/photosynthesis. 'We' are either plants, or things that eat plants, or things that eat things that eat plants.
I remember learning about how bacteria under the ocean use heat and sulfur as fuel. :)

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟584,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

View attachment 353543

View attachment 353544
These snails look so alien, but so cool.

Upvote 0