• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

How does Christianity view compassion?

wikey321

Mar 3, 2020
KUALA LUMPUR
✟15,512.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

According to Christianity, does compassion mean to "suffer together", as in this Google search result?

What is the true meaning of compassion? Compassion literally means “to suffer together.” Among emotion researchers, it is defined as the feeling that arises when you are confronted with another's suffering and feel motivated to relieve that suffering. Compassion is not the same as empathy or altruism, though the concepts are related.
Does the Bible also teach that compassion mean to "suffer together" or does compassion also have another implicit meaning?

Please help to vote, answer, comment or contribute here my fellow Christianity on
Christianity Stack Exchange

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟983,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

According to Christianity, does compassion mean to "suffer together", as in this Google search result?

Does the Bible also teach that compassion mean to "suffer together" or does compassion also have another implicit meaning?

Please help to vote, answer, comment or contribute here my fellow Christianity on
Christians love and follow Jesus Christ of Nazareth. He had great compassion for the sinner, the weary, the poor and the sick. We follow as He did if one is truly in Him. Blessings.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟774,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Compassion means recognizing the suffering of others and then taking action to help. It's a tangible expression of love for those who are suffering or in need.

1 Corinthians 12:26

26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it. 26 If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.

Compassion is to be our response to suffering ... we all experience suffering in one way or another.

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟48,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Compassion means recognizing the suffering of others and then taking action to help. It's a tangible expression of love for those who are suffering or in need.

1 Corinthians 12:26

26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it. 26 If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.

Compassion is to be our response to suffering ... we all experience suffering in one way or another.
Totally agree!

I believe that this "compassion" is one major attribute at the core of God's heart (this word alone is sprinkled all throughout the Old Testament in reference to God) and as revealed by His Son (in the New Testament) - along with "mercy" and "grace".

Psalm 86:15 NKJV

"But You, O Lord, are a God full of compassion, and gracious,
Longsuffering and abundant in mercy and truth."

Mark 1:41-42 NKJV

"Now a leper came to Him, imploring Him, kneeling down to Him and saying to Him, “If You are willing, You can make me clean.”
Then Jesus, moved with compassion, stretched out His hand and touched him, and said to him, “I am willing; be cleansed.” As soon as He had spoken, immediately the leprosy left him, and he was cleansed."

Note Jesus' willingness to touch an unclean, contagious leper (thank God for ALL of our sakes!).

How deep is Jesus' compassion:

John 11:32-35 NKJV

"Then, when Mary came where Jesus was, and saw Him, she fell down at His feet, saying to Him, “Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died.”

"Therefore, when Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who came with her weeping, He groaned in the spirit and was troubled. And He said, “Where have you laid him?”
They said to Him, “Lord, come and see.”

Jesus wept.

Then the Jews said, “See how He loved him!”

And how He, indeed, demonstrated the Father's compassion by sharing in our suffering:

Isaiah 53:4-6 NKJV

"Surely He has borne our griefs And carried our sorrows; Yet we esteemed Him stricken, Smitten by God, and afflicted.
But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed.
All we like sheep have gone astray; We have turned, every one, to his own way; And the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all."

And thusly:

Hebrews 4:15 NKJV

"For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin."

How do we extend this same compassion? God has made it possible to those sealed by His Holy Spirit:

Ezekiel 36:26 NIV

"I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh."

Great OP, wikey!

If you are further interested, check out "35 Top Bible Verses About Compassion":

God bless!

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟1,003,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Philippians 3:10–12 (NKJV): 10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, 11 if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. 12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.

God Bless.

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0