• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

HATE your own father and mother

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟141,611.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ESV Luke 14:

26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.
BDAG μισέω:
① to have a strong aversion to, hate, detest
② to be disinclined to, disfavor, disregard in contrast to preferential treatment

The secondary meaning was applied here. Matthew 10:

37 Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
Jesus did not mean an absolute hatred but a relative one.

Good News Translation used this nuance:

Those who come to me cannot be my disciples unless they love me more than they love father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, and themselves as well.
We are commanded to love God, love our neighbors, and even love our enemies. We should love our family, but we must love God first and foremost.

See also Hebrew words for to like, love, dislike, and hate.

Reactions: Spiritual Jew

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟335,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ESV Luke 14:

BDAG μισέω:
① to have a strong aversion to, hate, detest
② to be disinclined to, disfavor, disregard in contrast to preferential treatment

The secondary meaning was applied here. Matthew 10:

Jesus did not mean an absolute hatred but a relative one.

Good News Translation used this nuance:

We are commanded to love God, love our neighbors, and even love our enemies. We should love our family, but we must love God first and foremost.

See also Hebrew words for to like, love, dislike, and hate.
Right. It's not talking about literally hating our family members, but just not loving them more than Jesus because He rightly demands to be first in our lives.

When it talks about God loving Jacob and hating Esau, it should be understood in a similar way. People try to use the idea of God loving Jacob and hating Esau in terms of salvation as if God chose Jacob to salvation and Esau to damnation, but it has nothing to do with that. God did not literally hate Esau. God blessed both of them, but blessed Jacob more in the sense that it was through the nation that came through his line (Israel) that Jesus would come and not through Esau's line (Edom).

Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums