• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Has Kamala Harris identified as being Indian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟714,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Looking back at articles posted during the campaign to get Joe Biden elected as president, and Harris as VP, it appears she did identify as Indian rather than black.

Now that a woman with Indian roots, Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., is running in the 2020 presidential race, Dass, a Democrat, will have some decisions to make.

“I am proud that she is Indian, but I will not support her because she is Indian,” Dass, who immigrated to the United States in 1966, said. “I will support her if she is good for us, good for the country.”

Harris, 54, is the first Indian-origin Senator in the US. Her mother Shyamala Gopalan Harris immigrated to the US for studies at the age of 19 from Tamil Nadu. She married Donald Harris an African American born in Jamaica in 1938.

Harris’ crowd-pleasing response—she threw up her hands and loudly exclaimed, “Yes!”—convinced Kapur of her Indian-American bona fides, he says. This year, he plans to raise $10 million from Indian-American donors for Harris’ 2020 presidential campaign.

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟714,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Im sure she has identified as Indian, as a matter of ethnic origin. And black too. Why wouldnt she?
The bigger question is why is it assumed to be such a terrible thing that Trump pointed out that she identified as being Indian when it was politically beneficial, and now identifies as black when it's politically beneficial. She either did or she didn't. Clearly, she did. So Trump wasn't saying anything untrue by pointing it out to the organization that only includes journalists who are black.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟222,328.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bigger question is why is it assumed to be such a terrible thing that Trump pointed out that she identified as being Indian when it was politically beneficial, and now identifies as black when it's politically beneficial. She either did or she didn't. Clearly, she did. So Trump wasn't saying anything untrue by pointing it out to the organization that only includes journalists who are black.
So, if it's true that's what Trump was insinuating, it doesn't make it true, particularly in the context of the question being asked.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟714,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So, if it's true that's what Trump was insinuating, it doesn't make it true, particularly in the context of the question being asked.
The articles I posted in the OP indicate that it's true.
I could post more if you want me to.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟714,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟466,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Ah I see. We're trying to rescue Trump from his idiotic face plant.

Politically beneficial is what people do in her position. As long as no one gets hurt I couldn't care less.

Next up she's going to announce a straight white male running mate - because that would be politically beneficial. But who cares. He'll be perfectly qualified.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟714,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟222,328.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The articles I posted in the OP indicate that it's true.
I could post more if you want me to.
I've seen plenty of articles and videos where she identifies as both Indian and Jamaican.

The whole argument usually gets lost in unstable terminology. For one thing, race theory is based on genetic ancestry and the theory that one person's genes are superior or inferior to another's. Skin color does not qualify as a race nor ethnicity even though discrimination against a person because of skin color does qualify as a negative prejudice. To complicate matters further African American's often use the term Black to refer to the unique culture of people who came out of slavery, and not skin color.

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟714,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ah I see. We're trying to rescue Trump from his idiotic face plant.

Politically beneficial is what people do in her position. As long as no one gets hurt I couldn't care less.

Next up she's going to announce a straight white male running mate - because that would be politically beneficial. But who cares. He'll be perfectly qualified.
Playing the race card to be politically beneficial is hardly genuine. She should focus more on what policies she would put forward, and what her values are instead of trying to get elected for being "Indian", and then "black" when she thinks that would help more. Why not run as an American citizen who wants to serve everyone who is American? I'd rather vote for someone based on their policies rather than how they rank on the color bar. Wouldn't you?

• Winner
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟714,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've seen plenty of articles and videos where she identifies as both Indian and Jamaican.

The whole argument is based on unsound terminology. For one thing, race theory is based on genetic ancestry and the theory that one person's genes are superior or inferior to another's. Skin color does not qualify as a race nor ethnicity even though discrimination against a person because of skin color does qualify as a negative prejudice. To complicate matters further African American's often use the term Black to refer to the unique culture of people who came out of slavery.
She came out of slavery, but not in a way she would prefer we know about: Kamala Harris is a descendant of an Irish slave owner in Jamaica

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟603,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There are two problems with that: That only summarizes part of Trump's comments, and in the part you summarized, Trump was wrong. Regarding Trump being wrong about his claim that she was Indian and then "turned" Black - here are several articles dated several years ago referring to her being Black:

2010:

2015:

2016:

2020, just for lolz:

Regarding the accuracy of your summary, here's the entire transcript, and the relevant exchange:
INTERVIEWER: I just defined it, sir. Do you believe that Vice President Kamala Harris is only on the ticket because she is a black woman?

DONALD TRUMP: Well, I can say no. I think it’s maybe a little bit different. So I’ve known her a long time indirectly, not directly very much, and she was always of Indian heritage, and she was only promoting Indian heritage. I didn’t know she was black until a number of years ago when she happened to turn black, and now she wants to be known as black. So I don’t know. Is she Indian, or is she black?

INTERVIEWER: She is always identified as a black woman from a historically black college.

DONALD TRUMP: I respect either one, but she obviously doesn’t, because she was Indian all the way, and then all of a sudden she made a turn, and she went, she became a black person.

He didn't just say that she used one and then another. He said "she obviously doesn't [respect either one]," implying that she somehow betrayed her heritage.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟466,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Playing the race card to be politically beneficial is hardly genuine. She should focus more on what policies she would put forward, and what her values are instead of trying to get elected for being "Indian", and then "black" when she thinks that would help more. Why not run as an American citizen who wants to serve everyone who is American? I'd rather vote for someone based on their policies rather than how they rank on the color bar. Wouldn't you?
No.. you should focus more on what policies she would put forward. She spends most of her time talking about what she offers - and how lousty her opponent is, of course.

All this identity stuff is there, but its a complete side show. I can understand why some people would want to make it center stage when her opponent looks so shaky tho.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,528,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

...it was Donald Trump who focussed on race in his answer.
...it was Donald Trump who suggested illegal immigrants would take "black jobs"
...and it is Donald Trump who continues to focus on race and division in his Truth Social postings over night.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟603,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟222,328.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟226,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Looking back at articles posted during the campaign to get Joe Biden elected as president, and Harris as VP, it appears she did identify as Indian rather than black.

Now that a woman with Indian roots, Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., is running in the 2020 presidential race, Dass, a Democrat, will have some decisions to make.

“I am proud that she is Indian, but I will not support her because she is Indian,” Dass, who immigrated to the United States in 1966, said. “I will support her if she is good for us, good for the country.”

Harris, 54, is the first Indian-origin Senator in the US. Her mother Shyamala Gopalan Harris immigrated to the US for studies at the age of 19 from Tamil Nadu. She married Donald Harris an African American born in Jamaica in 1938.

Harris’ crowd-pleasing response—she threw up her hands and loudly exclaimed, “Yes!”—convinced Kapur of her Indian-American bona fides, he says. This year, he plans to raise $10 million from Indian-American donors for Harris’ 2020 presidential campaign.
Read the article again… It’s about how she polls with Indian voters, not what she identifies as. And it contains this quote:

“Community leaders say many Indian Americans and South Asians remain unaware of Harris’ Indian heritage, even with a Sanskrit first name like Kamala, which means “lotus,” and with frequent coverage of her in Indian ethnic media.

“They think of her as black,” said Annetta Seecharran, executive director of Chhaya Community Development Corp. in Jackson Heights, an organization that advocates for the housing needs of New York City’s South Asian community.”

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟714,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There are two problems with that: That only summarizes part of Trump's comments, and in the part you summarized, Trump was wrong. Regarding Trump being wrong about his claim that she was Indian and then "turned" Black - here are several articles dated several years ago referring to her being Black:

2010:

2015:

2016:

2020, just for lolz:

Regarding the accuracy of your summary, here's the entire transcript, and the relevant exchange:

He didn't just say that she used one and then another. He said "she obviously doesn't [respect either one]," implying that she somehow betrayed her heritage.

Well, it's true! She doesn't respect either one if she sees them as interchangeable based on what is convenient at the moment.
For example, Barack Obama is half black and half white. Did he ever identify as a white man? Of course not! By your reasoning, it would have been just as true for him to identify as white as it would be to identify as black. But for him to identify as white wouldn't be convenient (even though we supposedly live in a society with "white privilege). He enjoyed being president of the USA for 8 years identifying as black.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.