From Esther's perspective, why did she delay her real request to save the Jews?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟116,991.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Haman devised an evil plan for the king of Persia and Media to destroy the Jews in his kingdom. Mordecai solicited Queen Esther's help. Esther 4:

15 Then Esther told them to reply to Mordecai, 16 “Go, gather all the Jews to be found in Susa, and hold a fast on my behalf, and do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my young women will also fast as you do. Then I will go to the king, though it is against the law, and if I perish, I perish.”
Esther did not go to the king right away. She fasted first before approaching the king. Then, when she saw the king, Est 5:

3 the king said to her, “What is it, Queen Esther? What is your request? It shall be given you, even to the half of my kingdom.”
That was a positive sign from the king, but Esther did not make the real request in the king's court:

4 Esther said, “If it please the king, let the king and Haman come today to a feast that I have prepared for the king.”
That was a diplomatically smart move. She wanted to change the venue. She wanted to make the real quest on her turf with drinking and eating:

6 As they were drinking wine after the feast, the king said to Esther, “What is your wish? It shall be granted you. And what is your request? Even to the half of my kingdom, it shall be fulfilled.”
Another positive sign from the king. Esther's delay tactic was working nicely.

7 Esther answered, “My wish and my request is: 8 If I have found favor in the sight of the king, and if it please the king to grant my wish and fulfill my request,
Esther laid out more positive vibes/anticipation to the king.

let the king and Haman come to the feast that I will prepare for them, and tomorrow I will do as the king has said.”
Still, Esther did not make her real request but delayed it once more.

What was she thinking?

There was suspense and anticipation. She wanted to build up even more positive expectations to her favor.

After an eventful night to the king and Haman, Est 7:

2 on the second day, as they were drinking wine after the feast, the king again said to Esther, “What is your wish, Queen Esther? It shall be granted you. And what is your request? Even to the half of my kingdom, it shall be fulfilled.”
That was the third time the king said that in response to her request. Now, the timing was ripe.

3 Then Queen Esther answered, “If I have found favor in your sight, O king, and if it please the king, let my life be granted me for my wish, and my people for my request.
If the king had not granted her wish, then the king would have reneged on his (3-times) words.

4 For we have been sold, I and my people, to be destroyed, to be killed, and to be annihilated. If we had been sold merely as slaves, men and women, I would have been silent, for our affliction is not to be compared with the loss to the king.” 5 Then King Ahasuerus said to Queen Esther, “Who is he, and where is he, who has dared to do this?”
All the buildup worked. The king would not break his promise to Esther.

6 And Esther said, “A foe and enemy! This wicked Haman!” Then Haman was terrified before the king and the queen.
From Esther's perspective, why did she delay her real request to save the Jews?

It was a huge request. She knew the gravity and danger of her request. She needed strategic timing. She wanted to build positive feedback in the king's mind before asking. Further, God worked providentially behind the scenes with this delay in the Jew's favor against Haman.