• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

First time hunter...

67_Reasons

66 pages + the Lord Jesus
Jan 12, 2021
Skipperville, AL, USA
✟106,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Planning on starting out on small game seeing how I have a WMR rifle, newly acquired permit and will buy a license soon, plenty of jacks in the yard, and a drawer full of old knives. even though the season only starts next month, planning for the colder weather to cut back on the warbles. I decided to get permit test online and passed in the wee hours of my BD on the 16th; So now I just need to get out there. Clothing will be the next items on list. What are some suggestions on what else would be nice to take with me into the woods around my house?

Nothing is set in stone yet; however, I may keep posting progress on here...

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟590,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Planning on starting out on small game seeing how I have a WMR rifle, newly acquired permit and will buy a license soon, plenty of jacks in the yard, and a drawer full of old knives. even though the season only starts next month, planning for the colder weather to cut back on the warbles. I decided to get permit test online and passed in the wee hours of my BD on the 16th; So now I just need to get out there. Clothing will be the next items on list. What are some suggestions on what else would be nice to take with me into the woods around my house?

My brother, can I plug this question into an AI? I used to live in a small town where folks hunted, even though my parents and I never hunted, and never will (cos gutting an animal is too much work).

Before I use the AI, here is something you must bring: Bug spray. Mosquitos will ruin your hunting experience, and potentially impact your aim.

Also, congrats on passing your online hunting test.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟590,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here is the list, generated by my computer. @67_Reasons , I hope that this list is to your liking.

Congratulations on obtaining your permit and preparing for your hunting adventure! Here are some additional items you might consider bringing along on your trip into the woods:
  1. Navigation tools (map, compass, or GPS device) to help navigate through unfamiliar territory.
  2. A first aid kit in case of any accidents or injuries.
  3. Flashlight with extra batteries for nighttime safety and visibility.
  4. Multi-tool for opening cans, fixing small items, and other useful tasks.
  5. Binoculars to help spot game from a distance.
  6. A good quality hunting backpack to carry all your gear comfortably.
  7. Camouflage clothing to blend in with the environment.
  8. Hunting calls (such as deer or turkey calls) to attract game.
  9. Game bag or cooler for transporting your catch.
  10. A portable camp stove and food supplies if you plan on staying overnight.
  11. Water bottle or hydration system, along with a water purifier in case of emergencies.
  12. Insect repellent to keep away pests like ticks and mosquitoes.
  13. A hunting chair for comfort during long waits.
  14. Camouflage face paint or makeup to further blend in with the environment.
  15. Trail camera(s) to scout game activity before your hunt.

Screen capture of artificial intelligence.

1724114723974.png

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟64,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1st, check local laws. They can determine things like what you wear for what you hunt. A WMR is, I think, a .22, which means small game. Only knife I needed for small game was a pocket knife.

2nd, go to a range and practice. This will both familiarize yourself with the weapon and make sure your marksmanship is up to snuff. This isn't only so that you can hit the game but that you can make a clean kill. The latter prevents the animal from suffering and also eliminated the need for tracking.

3rd, it may be part of the test but exercise hunter safety, such as making sure what is behind the target and making clean shots. Have passed up on shots because they couldn't be made safely or reliably.

4th, get written permission for where you intend to hunt. Know the terrain.

There have been comments on a map and compass. That's good, but you have to know how to use them. One of the handiest to me was what's called an orienteering compass and a 7.5 minute series topographic map, but knew the terrain where I was hunting well enough that I didn't need them. That said, even my father had gotten turned around in the swamp and under certain conditions the water in the oxbows would appear to flow backwards (it wasn't).

Note: if you use USGS 7.5 minute series maps, know that the projection reference in the 1970s was different than the reference used in GPS. Not enough to put you way off course, but it still exists.

Know how you're going to dispose of the hide and offal. Follow all laws. For small game it's not all that problematic. For large, have seen where yahoos have dumped the remains beside the road. That's illegal. In places where there is CWD in deer herds, there are specific rules for disposing of the remains.

While we're on the subject, know how to care and process game. It can spoil quickly in hot weather. Improper processing is what usually leads to bad taste in game.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

67_Reasons

Jan 12, 2021
Skipperville, AL, USA
✟106,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ammo arrived a short time ago; Nesher's is going to need to be sighted in on paper as soon as it dries up again.

Been working in the yard today, clearing up some areas for use. Also, partially OT, I'm planning on restarting the gardens again this winter. I'm thinking of quartering my main plot with a dual-purpose mix of carrots, turnups, mustards, and daikon radishes; incase all goes somewhere unintended. So, I'm keeping the plans posted; If all does not all go well, I may look into a private club later in the winter...
DSC00047.JPG

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟590,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ammo arrived a short time ago; Nesher's is going to need to be sighted in on paper as soon as it dries up again.

Been working in the yard today, clearing up some areas for use. Also, partially OT, I'm planning on restarting the gardens again this winter. I'm thinking of quartering my main plot with a dual-purpose mix of carrots, turnups, mustards, and daikon radishes; incase all goes somewhere unintended. So, I'm keeping the plans posted; If all does not all go well, I may look into a private club later in the winter...
View attachment 353616
Hopefully, your gardens go well, and I hope that your hunting supplies are made in the the USA or Western Europe, instead of China. :) I promise you, that things will go well, and if not, there is always a plan B.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟474,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m still sighting in my guns. For the range and plinking. It’s not hard to do. It would be nice to have an accurate rifle. Your target is so small. What is a neshers, a single shot? I gave up hunting in Ca. Not too many places to go, must travel. I like guns but don’t want to kill Bambi anymore. Squirrels are good eating, but not jacks, are they?

try coyotes. We have a terrible outbreak of ground squirrels in the north of the state. I could shoot them. Talk about small target. Head shots would be tempting to try. I guess you have a scope, gook luck and Gods blessings.

Upvote 0

67_Reasons

Jan 12, 2021
Skipperville, AL, USA
✟106,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your target is so small. What is a Nesher, a single shot?

Squirrels are good eating, but not jacks, are they?

My marlin is a Bolt action with 7 round mags; No money to downsize to a new LR so WMR is what I'm planning. Like I said I may get a bigger rifle later on in my adventures; however, in my current environment and no real property to do bigger game on, I'm getting my feet wet with the basics and do some working out during my off time to get into the bigger game lifestyle.

I've tried rabbit before, has a rather fruity flavor to it, unlike chicken of course. We bought one that we cooked two years ago, and it wasn't bad. however, the squirrels in our yard don't get big enough to look into harvesting and having a higher velocity rifle than LR probably won't be a plus when hunting them.

Winchester magnum rimfire is not typically a squirrel hunting bullet, we get better meat harvested from air rifles in southern states.

• Informative
Upvote 0