• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Documentary about the Shakers

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,328,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
A few weeks ago I watched a Ken Burns documentary about the Shakers. I came across them in my readings on spiritualists like the Dukhobors, the historical Jesus, early Christianity and the religious imaginary's role in mysticism. I had heard of the Shakers when much younger (I remember the Shaker furniture fad occured in my early teenage years), but not in a sympathetic light (they were seen as wierd or heretical by Evangelicals), and I could not understand the Spiritualist or mystical religion they practiced.

The Shakers came out of a religious milieu of mystical or ecstatic religion: the Quakers in England, and the Camisards in France. The Camisards were the descendants of persecuted French Protestants that fled to Manchester, in the UK. They had a charismatic or ecstatic type religion. This is the kind of religious environment that the founder of the shakers, Anne Lee, would have been exposed to. The Camisard worship involved spirited singing, prophecy, speaking in tongues, and their religion was shaped by an apocalyptic imagination.

This is a reproduction of what an early Shaker worship meeting might have been like. The building used is an actual Shaker meeting hall that has been preserved in Kentucky.

Last edited:
Reactions: RileyG