• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Do we go up or down after meeting the Lord in the air?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟148,771.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Thessalonians 4:

16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.
  1. Jesus comes down.
  2. The first group rises.
  3. The second group catches up.
What's step 4? Will the entire bunch of people go up or down or stay in the air?

Down, I think.

YLT Matthew 25:

6 and in the middle of the night a cry was made, Lo, the bridegroom doth come; go ye forth to meet [G529] him.
The word "meet" here is apantēsin. The virgins were to meet and welcome Jesus, the bridegroom.

7‘Then rose all those virgins, and trimmed their lamps, 8and the foolish said to the prudent, Give us of your oil, because our lamps are going out; 9and the prudent answered, saying — Lest there may not be sufficient for us and you, go ye rather unto those selling, and buy for yourselves. 10‘And while they are going away to buy,
The foolish virgins went away to find oil. They missed being part of the welcoming group.

the bridegroom came, and those ready went in with him to the marriage-feasts, and the door was shut;
The bridegroom continued in the same direction and reached his destination.

Now, Young's Literal Translation, 1 Thessalonians 4:

17 then we who are living, who are remaining over, together with them shall be caught away in clouds to meet [G529] the Lord in air, and so always with the Lord we shall be
meet
ἀπάντησιν (apantēsin)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular
Strong's 529: From apantao; a encounter.

Presumably, after the meeting/encounter of the welcoming people in the air, Jesus will continue in the same direction to come down to reach his destination on Earth where the wedding banquet will take place. I don't think it is like the popular Left Behind film series, where unbelievers will be left on earth to face the chaos and the Antichrist.

See also The word "rapture"

• Friendly
Reactions: Grip Docility

Ace777

Jesus Saves
Jun 20, 2024
✟9,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
What's step 4? Will the entire bunch of people go up or down or stay in the air?
We go to the wedding feast then we return 7 years later to rule and reign with Christ for 1,000 years. Then there will be a new heaven and a new earth at the end of the 1,000 year reign of Christ. So we will always be with the Lord.

• Winner
Reactions: awstar
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟148,771.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We go to the wedding feast then we return 7 years later to rule and reign with Christ for 1,000 years. Then there will be a new heaven and a new earth at the end of the 1,000 year reign of Christ. So we will always be with the Lord.
verses?

Upvote 0

Ace777

Jesus Saves
Jun 20, 2024
✟9,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Revelation 19:9 Then the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!” And he added, “These are the true words of God.”
Revelation 20:4 They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years.Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.
Isaiah 65:17
For behold, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind.
Revelation 21 1 1Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

There is more but I am getting lost here.

Upvote 0

Ace777

Jesus Saves
Jun 20, 2024
✟9,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
. So we will always be with the Lord.

1 Thessalonians 4:17

Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.

Revelation 7 13 Then one of the elders addressed me: “These in white robes,” he asked, “who are they, and where have they come from?” 14“Sir,” I answered, “you know.” So he replied, “These are the ones who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb

Revelation 19 7 Let us rejoice and be glad and give Him the glory. For the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His bride has made herself ready. 8 She was given clothing of fine linen, bright and pure.” For the fine linen she wears is the righteous acts of the saints. 9Then the angel told me to write, “Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.”…

Upvote 0

awstar

Aug 21, 2004
✟15,460.00
Faith
Methodist
This response totally agrees with what I've come to understand and believe. Except it may be longer than 7 years, but definitely not shorter. The "So we will always be with the Lord" makes this the "blessed hope" ( what I both desire and expect) -- at least for me.

Upvote 0

awstar

Aug 21, 2004
✟15,460.00
Faith
Methodist
"blessed hope"
Titus 2:11-13 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟148,771.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is more but I am getting lost here.
Thanks for the verses. This is how to do referencing and quotation in a scholarly manner:
  1. Display and indent the relevant text.
  2. Selectively bold the particular keywords that are important to your point. There is no need to bold the entire sentence. Have a laser-sharp focus.
  3. Be concise and precise to the point. No need to quote the whole paragraph.
I do this for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee it will sharpen your analytical thinking and you will not be feeling getting lost :) In any case, no one is required to do it.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟789,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1 Thessalonians 4:

1. Jesus comes down.

Down, I think.

YLT Matthew 25:

The word "meet" here is apantēsin. The virgins were to meet and welcome Jesus, the bridegroom.

The foolish virgins went away to find oil. They missed being part of the welcoming group.

meet
ἀπάντησιν (apantēsin)

Presumably, after the meeting/encounter of the welcoming people in the air, Jesus will continue in the same direction to come down to reach his destination on Earth where the wedding banquet will take place. I don't think it is like the popular Left Behind film series, where unbelievers will be left on earth to face the chaos and the Antichrist.

There are two groups .. the lost and the saved ... the 1st group (1st resurrection) meets the Lord in the air and from there on have eternal life (immortality) .... the lost don't go anywhere ... they are all dead .... 1,000 years later the 2nd resurrection happens (from the grave/from death) ... these people do not receive eternal life are resurrected mortal ... the new Jerusalem
(in heaven) descends to the earth the raised wicked for all time attacks the great city (this is the battle of Gog and Magog) ... God destroys all and then creates the new heaven and new earth.

Left behind series is fiction.

The wedding banquet takes place in heaven when those from the 1st Resurrection arrive in heaven. They were invited and accepted the invitation.

Like in the days of Noah .... 2 groups .... 1 group (smaller) saved .... 2nd group destroyed by the flood.

All are invited to the banquet .... some will not accept the invitation. When Jesus returns the invitations no longer go out ... as all judgement has taken place for all time.

It's simple .... two groups .... lost or saved.

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟9,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
1 Thessalonians 4:

1. Jesus comes down.

Down, I think.

YLT Matthew 25:

We agree on the destination, for certain.

meet
ἀπάντησιν (apantēsin)
Have you considered Luke 21:36 ? I have read your rapture post and loved it. I ask this because the entire "trib" matter can be frustrating. I have discovered that scripture uses the term end times in relation to two separate events (Hebrews 1:2). The first coming of Jesus is referred to as "In these Last days (or end times). The Second coming of Christ is also referred to as the "End Times", but more specifically "The Day of the Lord". It's kind of difficult to detangle.

Well, yes, Left Behind is Western Eschatology. Christianity is an Eastern Religion.

1. Jesus comes down.

Down, I think.
You inspired 2 OPs worth of scripture by posting this. Gratitude!

Are you still evaluating the timing of point #2? I think I initially assumed so, when I should have asked. Would you say point #2 started with Jesus' resurrection, or do you view this #2 as a future event because of the "Archangel" statement?

1 Thessalonians 4:16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the archangel’s voice, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.​
I, Grip, do give you my word that I will not insert my opinion or counter discussion in any way shape or form to your answer. I am asking out of curiosity.

Last edited:
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟148,771.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you still evaluating the timing of point #2? I think I initially assumed so, when I should have asked. Would you say point #2 started with Jesus' resurrection, or do you view this #2 as a future event because of the "Archangel" statement?
I think all three will happen on the last day.

Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟9,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think all three will happen on the last day.
We differ on this view... but I don't express this to agree or disagree. I want to be humorous. I could give the carrot of usefulness, which is always kind of a bummer to the recipient, like, I disagree but want you to feel useful. Then, there's the optimistic emoji, which seems only appropriate when used between friends that can disagree with light hearts. The "informative" emoji seems to be like saying, I want to let you know that I value your post, but think your final idea is a bit whackadoodle. The heart says friendly, but it denotes theological agreement if misread, even though friendly could be a superior carrot emoji, yet we all know that heart and carrot mean different things. The like emoji is my way of saying that I know you use scripture to interpret scripture and respect your conclusion.

In reality, I'm actually lampooning social media experience, because they can all mean different things to different people, but I suspect you may at least get a comedic intellectual chuckle out of this response.

• Haha
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0