• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Did Jesus experience fear?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟141,501.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Probably not.
Ps 56:
3 When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. 4 In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?
The psalmist told us to trust in God instead of being fearful.
Isaiah 41:
10 fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
God told Isaiah not to fear, promising him strength.
Mt 10:
26 “So have no fear of them [evil people], for nothing is covered that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. 27 What I tell you in the dark, say in the light, and what you hear whispered, proclaim on the housetops. 28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
There is a healthy fear and respect for God.
29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny?i And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. 30 But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.
Jesus exhorts us not to fear men or evil.
What about at Gethsemane?
Berean Standard Bible, Matthew 26:
37 He took with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee and began to be sorrowful and deeply distressed.
Luke 22:
44 Being in agony he prayed more earnestly; and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground.
These were not feelings of fear.
The psalmist, Isaiah, and Jesus taught us not to be afraid. God is in control. I don't think Jesus experienced fear.

KevinT

May 26, 2021
Tennessee
✟27,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The psalmist, Isaiah, and Jesus taught us not to be afraid. God is in control. I don't think Jesus experienced fear.
In the human body, there is the "fright-or-flight" response. When confronted with something dangerous, the adrenal glands excrete adrenaline and other parts of the body all kick in to improve our survival. The airways in the lung dilate, the pupils dilate to let in more light, the heart pumps faster. I think all of these things had to be active when Jesus had spikes driven through His hands, and He was struggling to breath on the cross. Was this "fear"? I guess it is debatable. But I at least would call it the "fear response." One can have "mind-over-matter", where His rational mind is working to override the pounding of the heart. But when He cried out, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?", he was having strong emotions. And I would be OK if fear was mixed in with those emotions.

KT

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟335,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Probably not.
Ps 56:

The psalmist told us to trust in God instead of being fearful.
Isaiah 41:

God told Isaiah not to fear, promising him strength.
Mt 10:

There is a healthy fear and respect for God.

Jesus exhorts us not to fear men or evil.
What about at Gethsemane?
Berean Standard Bible, Matthew 26:

Luke 22:

These were not feelings of fear.
I agree that Jesus did not experience fear. The fact that He knew they were coming for Him to have Him crucified and He didn't try to flee is probably the biggest proof of that. But, this is another event that proves He had no fear:

Matthew 8:23 Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. 24 Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. 25 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!” 26 He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. 27 The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

That even a major storm could not wake Him shows how He had no fear. And then after the disciples panicked and woke Him up, He didn't even flinch. He was disappointed in them that they were afraid despite Him being there. They had seen Him perform miracles and do amazing things, but they somehow thought He couldn't handle that situation? They were lacking in faith and were very fearful, but Jesus had no fear whatsoever.

• Winner
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟126,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If he lacked a carnal mind like ourselves, how could he have obeyed unto death and it mean anything? If he had just the mind of God, then for what purpose did his crucifiction serve.
He was tempted in all things yet he did not sin. It was hard for him to lay down his life for us. Otherwise we would have the excuse "well He is God. We are not.
He was fully human and fully God.

Upvote 0

KevinT

May 26, 2021
Tennessee
✟27,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If he lacked a carnal mind like ourselves, how could he have obeyed unto death and it mean anything? If he had just the mind of God, then for what purpose did his crucifiction serve.
He was tempted in all things yet he did not sin. It was hard for him to lay down his life for us. Otherwise we would have the excuse "well He is God. We are not.
He was fully human and fully God.

Yes, I agree with this. If Jesus just breezed through His life on Earth with never a twitch or twinge because He was God, then we could claim that He had life easier than we did. But in fact I feel His life was much harder than mine.

KT

Upvote 0