• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Democrats step back from abolishing the death penalty

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟5,019,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OSV News) — The 2024 Democratic Party platform approved by delegates to the Democratic National Convention in August omits previous platforms’ calls to abolish the federal death penalty.

In 2016, the Democratic Party became the first major political party in the U.S. to call for an end to capital punishment in its platform. In 2020, President Joe Biden became the first U.S. president to have campaigned on an openly anti-death penalty platform. That year’s Democratic platform stated the party continues “to support abolishing the death penalty.”

After Biden was elected, his administration declared a moratorium on federal executions. But some activists have argued the president has not delivered on that promise and has defended some existing death sentences.

The 2024 platform, however, makes no mention of the death penalty or the party’s position on it. The Democratic nominee, Vice President Kamala Harris, has opposed the death penalty in her current and previous political roles.

Reactions from anti-death penalty advocates​

Continued below.

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟838,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for posting

I always found it weird how many were opposed to the death penalty, but are fine with abortion.

It makes no sense.
I'm not the biggest fan of the DP but I'm not fine with abortion either.

Upvote 0