• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Daily Bible Verses | Jesus Reproaches Cities For Their Unbelief | Christian Evangelization | Repentance | Judgement

WordAloud

Nov 14, 2012
✟40,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey Everyone,

This is my reflection for today's Gospel reading - according to the Roman lectionary.

Following upon the Discourse of the Mission, we learn in Matthew's Gospel more of the character of Jesus as he preaches, and of the context in which he preached.

My audio is on my site here: Daily Bible Verses | Jesus Reproaches Cities For Their Unbelief | Christian Evangelization | Repentance | Judgement – Listen To the Bible! | King James Audio Bible | KJV | King James Version

My reflection and the KJV text of the Gospel go like this:

20 ¶ Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not:
21 Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.
22 But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you.
23 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.
24 But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for thee.

In the Discourse of the Mission, in Chapter 10 of Matthew’s Gospel, Jesus has instructed his disciples about evangelization. Now, in Chapter 11, we are told more of Jesus’ Mission in the region of Galilee – also known as the Lake of Gennesaret and as Lake Tiberius. The area in which Jesus preaches and performs his healing miracles is relatively small, and it is an obscure part of the Empire. In some ways, though, it is a microcosm of the world beyond and the world of later history to come, as we learn of those who will accept and those who will reject Jesus.

We learn in Matthew’s Gospel of John the Baptist’s looking at Jesus with the eyes of the past and failing to understand him. We learn of the scribes and the Pharisees, to whose knowledge Jesus’ teaching seems contrary. We learn of those who have accused Jesus of being a glutton and a friend of tax collectors and sinners. In today’s Gospel verses, Jesus condemns the cities in which he has worked so many miracles, because of their refusal to admit the truth.

We see also in Matthew’s Gospel that it is the little ones, the simple people, who are able to understand and accept the truth of the Kingdom, as Jesus teaches the truth to be. It is these people who are spiritually open, with openness of heart, and who follow Jesus in their multitudes, asking for mercy and for healing, and praising God because of Jesus’ words and miracles.

This is our guide to our proper response to Jesus, and to questions of Christian faith and religious custom. We are to open ourselves fully to conversion to Christ, to give ourselves as little ones, or children – in a sense, to forget who we are. We approach our Lord with open hands, asking for healing and mercy.

Additionally, here is my reading of Psalm 91 I put up on YouTube - All likes and shares!! :) :