• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Christian male 38 trying to get to know a 32 year old woman; is this parental behavior normal? This is my first actual dating experience

Sep 21, 2024
Kentucky
✟799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
A few days before July 28th, I felt a name laid upon my heart. I also felt an odd feeling I should go check a certain dating site which I had signed up for, but only looked once on and it had no one near local on it.

I decided to go check it. There was a person's profile who instantly stood out to me, 31 and I'm 38. She was local and nearby, very nearby. 4 miles away to be exact. It was an unusual name which made me instantly assume a fake. I couldn't see no pictures, all blurred and only some of the profile and it had verses about glorifying God. Which is what I'm looking for it and at the intro I seen it had FYI only the first message is free and they had their IG left.

I looked up their name, and it translated into the name that was laid on my heart.

July 28th I don't use social media, and so I made an instagram just to message this person. I introduced myself in very few words, and just said that I'm a virgin, my height, etc and would you allow me an email that I may fully introduce myself with a picture and everything to you? They messaged back that night and said it's very strange, but I guess that is what I got for signing up for a dating site and then I emailed them.

Our emails instantly hit it off, our similarities were eerily similar. Both homeschooled, both full virgins(Never been kissed, etc), neither having any real dating experience. Our emails grew long, and eventually we decided to make a video call date. We did, and it went even better, we shared text information and it continued to grow better. Eventually after one of our video calls she says would you like to meet up after church for lunch Sunday?

I was hesitant due to severe social anxiety, but then she said what about the library? I had already told her about my severe social anxiety. She told me they had meeting rooms, and so we agreed. Our meeting was beyond belief incredible. We had agreed to a certain time before she had to go teach at her studio. (She's a Taekwondo teacher 4th degree black belt)

As my car is currently broken down(yes I'm working on getting another one), I walked back, and suspected she had already left as it had been five minutes. I looked down and seen she had messaged me, would you like to take a picture together?! I replied yes, but with a frowny face because it was over five minutes ago. I walked back towards the parking lot and to my surprise she was still there, and we took some pictures and even a video together.

We started trying to meet every chance we could, we texted all the time, and then a few days before our one month from meeting, she said her dad would like to take me out for lunch. I said, I'd prefer to just meet one on one in the meeting room. Wednesday night(meeting is Thursday, also the day of one month of us meeting)she calls me and says, my mom also wants to meet you. Being one day before the meeting, I felt I had no choice but to say yes and so I agreed.

I sat down from 3:20 to 6:55pm talking to her parents until the library Personnel said we are closing in a minute. I expected maybe an one hour meeting. Not basically a four hour meeting of questions being asked all about my life. Why do you like her, etc, etc.

They said they were leaving. So me and this woman walk to our bench where we normally pray together, hold hands and side hug and then go home. It's a library public park. Some little children were out with their parents near the fountain etc. It's a nice open place.

We pray holding hands as normal. I said, well I would hug you, but your parents might be watching. She said no they left. Then she pulls out a necklace, and said my mom told me not to give this to you, but I want, I feel I need to give this to you. It's a necklace with a saying from my mom, (my mom had seen this woman before and said I should date her, story for another time.) and on the front Isaiah 60:22 The smallest family will become a thousand people, and the tiniest group will become a mighty nation. At the right time, I, the LORD, will make it happen.”(We had been talking about a future together) She was trying to get the necklace clasp open, almost breaking a nail(was creeping me out) and getting tense from trying to open it. I said it's okay, don't worry about it, I think it'll need a pin in it to open it and I can do it when I get home and put it in my shirt pocket.

Well, I decided to give her a two handed side hug to thank her as I had to go for my ride. So I leaned back to my left sitting looking at her and side hugging her with both hands around her, saying thank you, and that everything will be okay. Another reason I gave her the two sided sitting down side hug. As I was about to have to leave as my ride was already waiting. Then she says my parents are here. She changes into a statue looking like a principal just walked in in elementary school.(They never left was spying on us from across the park, pretended to have leave, but they said they were 'just talking' and seen it)

Her 68 year old dad and 60ish mom get out, walk up in the public park to the bench, and the dad asks me what are you doing with my daughter? I said had my arm around her and we were praying. Sorry if I offended you. (I have no clue at this point what is going on. She's 31(now 32) and I'm 38. Which is both true. The mom meanwhile starts waving her arms around like a bird, saying we don't do any of this, NONE of this until marriage. They then walk back to their vehicle, and she of course now has to leave. I tell her sorry, no clue what to say to her at this moment.

I walk her to the car, open the door and close it for her as always. Then walk up to their vehicle and he rolls down the window(Yes dumb move I know now), and I said I have nothing but good intent for your daughter Sir. Mom is saying into the window, she hasn't done any of that. I said neither have I ma'am. He says well the spirit and the flesh wrestle against each other. Then I just moved my head and walked off for my ride as they drove off.

That night she continued texting me until 11pm. I had been getting asleep around that time, I could not fall asleep until around 7am, I felt a horrible, horrible feeling over me. The next day there was no message from her at all.

The next day comes a 9am message. Saying,

'
Good morning, myname ☀️
I miss you and hope you slept well.
I very much hope the other night didn’t upset you too much, because honestly it did me.
You were amazing in so many ways and I was so grateful for the time and honesty which you offered so freely to my parents (and me of course :))
Other than the obvious at the end of the night, there were just a couple moments that made me feel just a bit uneasy.
And while I’d like to address it right away, I believe the right thing to do is to continue in prayer and space to think.
I hope this time to be short lived as I’m anxious to see you again! But I think it best to simply take myself out of the next conversation and I’m sorry to ask this but that you would please contact my Dad for the next conversation.
I hope this won’t be too much to ask, as I’m sure he’s not the first person you’re eager to talk with right now, but I know you’re a pretty brave man ;)
I know you’re a man of God, honorable and wants to do what’s best and so in respect for me, I ask that we do this by honoring our parents through this process.
You have not left my prayers.
I miss you, myname.
And I pray you have a very blessed day. '

Then she sends his phone number. Her being uneasy and everything is a surprise to me. End up calling her dad, left a message, a day later he replies, saying he didn't know it was my number. (Despite the voice mail saying so) So due to this I missed her birthday. Labor day weekend etc with her.

First thing he wants to discuss is what caused you to put your arm around her? As this woman loves side hugging me. She was the one who brought up the side hugging to me the first day we met and I declined it, due to I felt I thought it would be better to give her a full normal hug first, because I wanted to date her and was seriously interested in her. Though we did after the first meeting start side hugging on the bench only though. To protect her, I don't mention this to him. So, we get 45 minutes into the conversation, and then says he wants to meet me again for I can explain holiness and purity to him. As I had been talking about this with her, and them during our basically four hour meeting. I took it as a sermon,(which is what I'm planning to do one day as I'm trying to go into ministry)

I end up for the next 45 minutes discussing the Holy Bible with him, until again the library ends up announcing they are closing and so I'm at a loss as to what is still going on. I ask if she can go to church with me Sunday? He says no, we aren't ready for that.(Previous week me and the woman had agreed to it, but I ended up not being sure I could get there that week so it didn't happen. )

He said I'd still like to meet with you again, but I'll have to pray about it. I'm going to talk to her. He goes on to say I want whatever the Lord wants, and I don't want to stop anything, but it's going to be up to her. I asked can she message and tell me. And he said he will have to talk to her and his wife first.

Few days later, I get a message from her asking if I'd like to meet. I say yes, I get there, brought her birthday gift, not her card as it's hard to finish a custom made card with all this going on. As I'm walking down to the bench, where she said she'd be at. I notice the dad in the corner of my eye sitting in his vehicle next to hers.

She's completely different from before. Her posture is different, she's facing me looking towards her dad's vehicle. At opposite ends of the bench. He starts texting her during the conversation, and then he called and she didn't see it and he got out of his vehicle until she called him. We are about the handicap parking to the walmart entrance of any normal walmart.

(Ten days since I've seen her)So we start talking some, and she says, one little thing about the hug and then doesn't want to talk about it anymore, but then says my dad said you didn't want to meet him again. I told her I never said that, which I never did. I didn't understand why in the first place I'm meeting her dad.

Asked her why she couldn't go to church, and she said my dad doesn't want rumors or gossip to start. I ask her if she thinks that this is normal? What's normal anymore she replies. Then later she tells me she doesn't like when I contradict her parents. Basically the conversation feels like the woman is a middle man, and asking me questions for her parents. End up running out of time, she had to be at work, no one told me. I asked her if I could text her, and she said I don't want to have to ask again, but could you text my dad? Then I walk her to her car and I ask, so I need to text your dad before I can talk to you again? She says yes please.

So we go back to silence. I decided to wait a day to message her dad, because honestly I'm confused as to what is going on and how a side hug she enjoyed and we only did, now is suddenly a great act of wickedness. I message him at around 2:30ish pm Tuesday if he could meet me Friday(trying to meet her dad again to honor her), and apparently my discipleship teacher which teaches me said hello to him where her dad works, as he works at a common place you shop.(I found this out Wednesday night) He gives me a Christian reference letting her dad know I attend church/Bible study regularly in his class.

Only that daughter goes to church that I know of. The one I had been getting to know. Dad texts me Friday morning at 10:30ish am Sorry can't. Silence still, Monday comes and she asks if she could call me. I see it thirty minutes late, due to not expecting any messages. She calls me from her home on IG video.(She never ever even voice calls from her home; let alone a video call.)

She starts talking just about regular things holding the phone in her hand(She lives at home with an older sister, and younger brothers in their mid-late 20's with their parents)then she said what did you tell that man at church? I told her that I am very fond of you. And that he's watching over me. She says, well the intent of his message didn't work.

(The intent was to vouch that I'm truly attending church etc. A great thing to have from anyone) So now I'm confused, and will later have to ask my discipleship teacher about this. Turns out he did nothing more than that as I thought)

She then tells me, well I will decide by Wednesday night if we can continue. Then the night ends. Wednesday comes, and she asks if I'd like to have another call. We set one up for Thursday. She's outside at home(again not normal). We start talking, then she says again, I wish the meeting with my dad would have went better and you would have wanted to meet him again. I tell her again, I didn't say no and that I had texted him already. I ask her if she could ask a neutral church in town about all this. And she says well, I don't think it would matter, my parents know me. I told her I don't know what to do to fix this?
Then she says I want to just drop it and I said I do too. (I didn't bring it up again, she did about her dad being unhappy about me somehow saying no to meeting him again, despite me being the one who hasn't received a message back from him. ) So the conversation starts coming to a close, and I ask if she's going to the special event on the river. She says no, then she asks if I'm going to a special event near the river.(Large local event) I don't have anyone to go with I tell her. She says would you? That's a big crowd. She gets excited and then I ask her if she'd go with me. We ended up sitting up a day Saturday at 3pm. 9:45pm Friday night she messages as I'm preparing to be ready for bed and get up for tomorrow to do this with her. That she can't find peace, and if she meets me she will change her mind again. So she says goodbye to me, which is a couple days before my birthday.

What is going on? She talks consistently about having to honor her father and mother. The first day I met her, her mom called her at the library and I could hear her asking if her GPS was on. During the last conversation on video, she said she has to respect her parents, and I said they have to respect you too, as you're an adult. She said they are or I wouldn't be talking right now.

She's always smiling and happy with me. She said she's been unhappy when we aren't talking. She had no issues with us hugging. But it's like all about her mom and dad now. Is it normal for a 32 year old woman not to be able to text/talk/video, meet without her parents permission? Not even be able to let anyone come to her studio to sit and talk with her, in her car, anything without permission?

I understand fully honoring thy father and thy mother, but not being able to choose who you can meet, date, talk with, text, visit, etc. Is this biblically correct at all? Her ending message Thursday night stated with the other stuff , "I want to assure you that this is completely and 100% my decision" Which feels really weird, because she was happy and excited when videoing Thursday about us going out to talk and look at things together.

What is going on?? I didn't reply, because truthfully my heart is broken. In the message she said she admired me, etc, etc and all these things, but does this to me? What am I missing? Please any advice is appreciated.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟5,047,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A few days before July 28th, I felt a name laid upon my heart. I also felt an odd feeling I should go check a certain dating site which I had signed up for, but only looked once on and it had no one near local on it.

I decided to go check it. There was a person's profile who instantly stood out to me, 31 and I'm 38. She was local and nearby, very nearby. 4 miles away to be exact. It was an unusual name which made me instantly assume a fake. I couldn't see no pictures, all blurred and only some of the profile and it had verses about glorifying God. Which is what I'm looking for it and at the intro I seen it had FYI only the first message is free and they had their IG left.

I looked up their name, and it translated into the name that was laid on my heart.

July 28th I don't use social media, and so I made an instagram just to message this person. I introduced myself in very few words, and just said that I'm a virgin, my height, etc and would you allow me an email that I may fully introduce myself with a picture and everything to you? They messaged back that night and said it's very strange, but I guess that is what I got for signing up for a dating site and then I emailed them.

Our emails instantly hit it off, our similarities were eerily similar. Both homeschooled, both full virgins(Never been kissed, etc), neither having any real dating experience. Our emails grew long, and eventually we decided to make a video call date. We did, and it went even better, we shared text information and it continued to grow better. Eventually after one of our video calls she says would you like to meet up after church for lunch Sunday?

I was hesitant due to severe social anxiety, but then she said what about the library? I had already told her about my severe social anxiety. She told me they had meeting rooms, and so we agreed. Our meeting was beyond belief incredible. We had agreed to a certain time before she had to go teach at her studio. (She's a Taekwondo teacher 4th degree black belt)

As my car is currently broken down(yes I'm working on getting another one), I walked back, and suspected she had already left as it had been five minutes. I looked down and seen she had messaged me, would you like to take a picture together?! I replied yes, but with a frowny face because it was over five minutes ago. I walked back towards the parking lot and to my surprise she was still there, and we took some pictures and even a video together.

We started trying to meet every chance we could, we texted all the time, and then a few days before our one month from meeting, she said her dad would like to take me out for lunch. I said, I'd prefer to just meet one on one in the meeting room. Wednesday night(meeting is Thursday, also the day of one month of us meeting)she calls me and says, my mom also wants to meet you. Being one day before the meeting, I felt I had no choice but to say yes and so I agreed.

I sat down from 3:20 to 6:55pm talking to her parents until the library Personnel said we are closing in a minute. I expected maybe an one hour meeting. Not basically a four hour meeting of questions being asked all about my life. Why do you like her, etc, etc.

They said they were leaving. So me and this woman walk to our bench where we normally pray together, hold hands and side hug and then go home. It's a library public park. Some little children were out with their parents near the fountain etc. It's a nice open place.

We pray holding hands as normal. I said, well I would hug you, but your parents might be watching. She said no they left. Then she pulls out a necklace, and said my mom told me not to give this to you, but I want, I feel I need to give this to you. It's a necklace with a saying from my mom, (my mom had seen this woman before and said I should date her, story for another time.) and on the front Isaiah 60:22 The smallest family will become a thousand people, and the tiniest group will become a mighty nation. At the right time, I, the LORD, will make it happen.”(We had been talking about a future together) She was trying to get the necklace clasp open, almost breaking a nail(was creeping me out) and getting tense from trying to open it. I said it's okay, don't worry about it, I think it'll need a pin in it to open it and I can do it when I get home and put it in my shirt pocket.

Well, I decided to give her a two handed side hug to thank her as I had to go for my ride. So I leaned back to my left sitting looking at her and side hugging her with both hands around her, saying thank you, and that everything will be okay. Another reason I gave her the two sided sitting down side hug. As I was about to have to leave as my ride was already waiting. Then she says my parents are here. She changes into a statue looking like a principal just walked in in elementary school.(They never left was spying on us from across the park, pretended to have leave, but they said they were 'just talking' and seen it)

Her 68 year old dad and 60ish mom get out, walk up in the public park to the bench, and the dad asks me what are you doing with my daughter? I said had my arm around her and we were praying. Sorry if I offended you. (I have no clue at this point what is going on. She's 31(now 32) and I'm 38. Which is both true. The mom meanwhile starts waving her arms around like a bird, saying we don't do any of this, NONE of this until marriage. They then walk back to their vehicle, and she of course now has to leave. I tell her sorry, no clue what to say to her at this moment.

I walk her to the car, open the door and close it for her as always. Then walk up to their vehicle and he rolls down the window(Yes dumb move I know now), and I said I have nothing but good intent for your daughter Sir. Mom is saying into the window, she hasn't done any of that. I said neither have I ma'am. He says well the spirit and the flesh wrestle against each other. Then I just moved my head and walked off for my ride as they drove off.

That night she continued texting me until 11pm. I had been getting asleep around that time, I could not fall asleep until around 7am, I felt a horrible, horrible feeling over me. The next day there was no message from her at all.

'
Good morning, myname ☀️
I very much hope the other night didn’t upset you too much, because honestly it did me.
You were amazing in so many ways and I was so grateful for the time and honesty which you offered so freely to my parents (and me of course :))
Other than the obvious at the end of the night, there were just a couple moments that made me feel just a bit uneasy.
And while I’d like to address it right away, I believe the right thing to do is to continue in prayer and space to think.
I hope this time to be short lived as I’m anxious to see you again! But I think it best to simply take myself out of the next conversation and I’m sorry to ask this but that you would please contact my Dad for the next conversation.
I hope this won’t be too much to ask, as I’m sure he’s not the first person you’re eager to talk with right now, but I know you’re a pretty brave man ;)
I know you’re a man of God, honorable and wants to do what’s best and so in respect for me, I ask that we do this by honoring our parents through this process.
I miss you, myname.

Then she sends his phone number. Her being uneasy and everything is a surprise to me. End up calling her dad, left a message, a day later he replies, saying he didn't know it was my number. (Despite the voice mail saying so) So due to this I missed her birthday. Labor day weekend etc with her.

First thing he wants to discuss is what caused you to put your arm around her? As this woman loves side hugging me. She was the one who brought up the side hugging to me the first day we met and I declined it, due to I felt I thought it would be better to give her a full normal hug first, because I wanted to date her and was seriously interested in her. Though we did after the first meeting start side hugging on the bench only though. To protect her, I don't mention this to him. So, we get 45 minutes into the conversation, and then says he wants to meet me again for I can explain holiness and purity to him. As I had been talking about this with her, and them during our basically four hour meeting. I took it as a sermon,(which is what I'm planning to do one day as I'm trying to go into ministry)

I end up for the next 45 minutes discussing the Holy Bible with him, until again the library ends up announcing they are closing and so I'm at a loss as to what is still going on. I ask if she can go to church with me Sunday? He says no, we aren't ready for that.(Previous week me and the woman had agreed to it, but I ended up not being sure I could get there that week so it didn't happen. )

He said I'd still like to meet with you again, but I'll have to pray about it. I'm going to talk to her. He goes on to say I want whatever the Lord wants, and I don't want to stop anything, but it's going to be up to her. I asked can she message and tell me. And he said he will have to talk to her and his wife first.

Few days later, I get a message from her asking if I'd like to meet. I say yes, I get there, brought her birthday gift, not her card as it's hard to finish a custom made card with all this going on. As I'm walking down to the bench, where she said she'd be at. I notice the dad in the corner of my eye sitting in his vehicle next to hers.

She's completely different from before. Her posture is different, she's facing me looking towards her dad's vehicle. At opposite ends of the bench. He starts texting her during the conversation, and then he called and she didn't see it and he got out of his vehicle until she called him. We are about the handicap parking to the walmart entrance of any normal walmart.

(Ten days since I've seen her)So we start talking some, and she says, one little thing about the hug and then doesn't want to talk about it anymore, but then says my dad said you didn't want to meet him again. I told her I never said that, which I never did. I didn't understand why in the first place I'm meeting her dad.

Asked her why she couldn't go to church, and she said my dad doesn't want rumors or gossip to start. I ask her if she thinks that this is normal? What's normal anymore she replies. Then later she tells me she doesn't like when I contradict her parents. Basically the conversation feels like the woman is a middle man, and asking me questions for her parents. End up running out of time, she had to be at work, no one told me. I asked her if I could text her, and she said I don't want to have to ask again, but could you text my dad? Then I walk her to her car and I ask, so I need to text your dad before I can talk to you again? She says yes please.

So we go back to silence. I decided to wait a day to message her dad, because honestly I'm confused as to what is going on and how a side hug she enjoyed and we only did, now is suddenly a great act of wickedness. I message him at around 2:30ish pm Tuesday if he could meet me Friday(trying to meet her dad again to honor her), and apparently my discipleship teacher which teaches me said hello to him where her dad works, as he works at a common place you shop.(I found this out Wednesday night) He gives me a Christian reference letting her dad know I attend church/Bible study regularly in his class.

Only that daughter goes to church that I know of. The one I had been getting to know. Dad texts me Friday morning at 10:30ish am Sorry can't. Silence still, Monday comes and she asks if she could call me. I see it thirty minutes late, due to not expecting any messages. She calls me from her home on IG video.(She never ever even voice calls from her home; let alone a video call.)

She starts talking just about regular things holding the phone in her hand(She lives at home with an older sister, and younger brothers in their mid-late 20's with their parents)then she said what did you tell that man at church? I told her that I am very fond of you. And that he's watching over me. She says, well the intent of his message didn't work.

(The intent was to vouch that I'm truly attending church etc. A great thing to have from anyone) So now I'm confused, and will later have to ask my discipleship teacher about this. Turns out he did nothing more than that as I thought)

She then tells me, well I will decide by Wednesday night if we can continue. Then the night ends. Wednesday comes, and she asks if I'd like to have another call. We set one up for Thursday. She's outside at home(again not normal). We start talking, then she says again, I wish the meeting with my dad would have went better and you would have wanted to meet him again. I tell her again, I didn't say no and that I had texted him already. I ask her if she could ask a neutral church in town about all this. And she says well, I don't think it would matter, my parents know me. I told her I don't know what to do to fix this?
Then she says I want to just drop it and I said I do too. (I didn't bring it up again, she did about her dad being unhappy about me somehow saying no to meeting him again, despite me being the one who hasn't received a message back from him. ) So the conversation starts coming to a close, and I ask if she's going to the special event on the river. She says no, then she asks if I'm going to a special event near the river.(Large local event) I don't have anyone to go with I tell her. She says would you? That's a big crowd. She gets excited and then I ask her if she'd go with me. We ended up sitting up a day Saturday at 3pm. 9:45pm Friday night she messages as I'm preparing to be ready for bed and get up for tomorrow to do this with her. That she can't find peace, and if she meets me she will change her mind again. So she says goodbye to me, which is a couple days before my birthday.

What is going on? She talks consistently about having to honor her father and mother. The first day I met her, her mom called her at the library and I could hear her asking if her GPS was on. During the last conversation on video, she said she has to respect her parents, and I said they have to respect you too, as you're an adult. She said they are or I wouldn't be talking right now.

She's always smiling and happy with me. She said she's been unhappy when we aren't talking. She had no issues with us hugging. But it's like all about her mom and dad now. Is it normal for a 32 year old woman not to be able to text/talk/video, meet without her parents permission? Not even be able to let anyone come to her studio to sit and talk with her, in her car, anything without permission?

I understand fully honoring thy father and thy mother, but not being able to choose who you can meet, date, talk with, text, visit, etc. Is this biblically correct at all? Her ending message Thursday night stated with the other stuff , "I want to assure you that this is completely and 100% my decision" Which feels really weird, because she was happy and excited when videoing Thursday about us going out to talk and look at things together.

What is going on?? I didn't reply, because truthfully my heart is broken. In the message she said she admired me, etc, etc and all these things, but does this to me? What am I missing? Please any advice is appreciated.
If this is how it starts I can’t imagine if you both got into a committed relationship that graduated to marriage. Would they rule your lives? That’s very odd behavior. Almost cult like. If I were you, I’d run. Sounds like a lot of game playing and dishonesty. Are any of their grown children married?? Let’s face it, that’s very odd behavior for a thirty+ grown woman.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟5,047,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Total deference to the parents is obviously the culture that she grew up in and this will only continue through the rest of her life, no matter any marriage to you or not.
It’s not good to have deference to anyone that’s dishonest. Even if they are a parent.

• Agree
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟89,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Looks like you need to jump through a few hoops to get the prize. might as well go for it the best you can. Just be sure you get her commitment to move to another state before you decide to get married. Leave and cleave is God's will, dealing with in-laws might be a real pain.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟1,022,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is probable there's an understanding regarding marriage that she hasn't spelled out. I have one with my daughter too and I think honesty is best. Each family functions differently and may not be your cup of tea although you like her. You'll have to deal with them too.

The meeting was for their benefit. They have an opportunity to gauge your character and intentions and provide a different perspective from hers. She's invested and more likely to be accommodating or dismissive of concerns more than they would.

In respect to her age, you're examining her through modern eyes. But there's a lot of households with a similar mentality. You'll need their agreement to marry and if they don't consent she won't. That can sound surprising in today's culture. But it's common in wealthy circles too.

We have a protocol in place which includes a series of meetings that are more intimate as things progress. I think initial meetings over meals are best. Lunch or brunch with the parents is more relaxed. If it's summer you can do it outdoors and enjoy the weather. The goal isn't interrogation. It's meeting and sharing a meal and conversation. Both should come away relaxed. First impressions aren't enough to weigh someone's character in that capacity.

Additional meetings are an outgrowth of the pairing. As the couple draws closer invitations follow. Which would include their parents as well. You're building an acquaintance with everyone and smoothing the path. That's how you have harmonious relationships with your in-laws. It's not her or his family. We're a unit and you have to behave that way. For the benefit of the pair, their future children and the family as a whole.

That's part of due diligence. You need to know what you're taking on. It's more than the other person. There's some things that come with them you have to be aware of to determine if they're acceptable or if you can live with them. You won't know without exposure.

Find out as much as you can about the person and their background before things get too far. If this is too much for you they did you a favor. I wouldn't conduct myself like that nor are my thoughts conveyed to the other person. That's for her ear and she should have told you the truth. She knows what they're like. You entered that blind and that isn't right.

On the other hand, if you continue you'll need to understand their ethos and determine how it aligns with your values. Patriarchal and legacy minded families (which are patriarchal too) are very closed. They don't allow anyone in who doesn't buy into the ethos. You're not going to shake up things in that environment. They'll turn against you if you try.

It sounds like she likes you but you're ignoring (or may be oblivious to) the undertone in her comments in respect to you and her parents. It's deferential. He's the head of the family and she's the matriarch. I won't speculate what marriage would look like for you. But in most cases you're marrying into a system and that isn't for everyone.

If you were raised that way or adopted that mentality that's one thing. But otherwise caution is best. You need to know what family means to them and the scope of their involvement with the couple and future children. More than likely their influence is felt. That's the way it goes.

~bella

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2024
Kentucky
✟799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If this is how it starts I can’t imagine if you both got into a committed relationship that graduated to marriage. Would they rule your lives? That’s very odd behavior. Almost cult like. If I were you, I’d run. Sounds like a lot of game playing and dishonesty. Are any of their grown children married?? Let’s face it, that’s very odd behavior for a thirty+ grown woman.
'To my knowledge' none of them even date. Her older sister is 36. Her brothers I believe are 25 and 28; all four of them live at home in the 3 bedroom home with their parents. (I am not cutting anyone down for that.)I'm an upstart merchandiser at home due to needing room. The other siblings all share one car I believe. The one I was trying to get to know had her own car. No one can ride with her unless her parents say they can. Suppose to be her own Taekwondo studio, too. However no one can visit it either unless the parents allow. A family member of mine asked why we didn't just meet at her studio, since she is a 4th degree black belt and it's near a busy local mall and the woman told me her mom wouldn't like that.
I agree, I just don't know what to do. I don't know what to pray, how to feel. I've looked into her eyes, and seen the happiness in her eyes, and just so many mixed signals. I asked if we could pray together when we met again, and she said well if we did I know which side I would go with.

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2024
Kentucky
✟799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Total deference to the parents is obviously the culture that she grew up in and this will only continue through the rest of her life, no matter any marriage to you or not.
This also concerned me. I'd like to have a family one day. I love my parents to pieces, and take advice, but it's up to me whether or not I want to use that advice. I feel like if she says anything against either of her parents she feels she is dishonoring them and is sinning against God. She said she has to be given away by her dad and obey until she's married. So that did sound promising when she said until married, but I deeply wonder if that would change if married. I'm beginning to lean towards it wouldn't change too. I feel so helpless in this situation.

Upvote 0

johansen

Sep 13, 2023
silverdale
✟21,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
She said she has to be given away by her dad and obey until she's married.
My wife believed the same thing but it was for very strange reasons that took a long time to figure out. I later found out i was not the only person who suspected munchanism by proxy.

Op's girl has something seriously wrong going on in the whole family

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟89,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

johansen

Sep 13, 2023
silverdale
✟21,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
felt a horrible, horrible feeling over me. The next day there was no message from her at all.
If this happens again you need to make a plan to get her out of that house. Dont let anything surprise you.

Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2024
Kentucky
✟799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It is probable there's an understanding regarding marriage that she hasn't spelled out. I have one with my daughter too and I think honesty is best. Each family functions differently and may not be your cup of tea although you like her. You'll have to deal with them too.

The meeting was for their benefit. They have an opportunity to gauge your character and intentions and provide a different perspective from hers. She's invested and more likely to be accommodating or dismissive of concerns more than they would.

In respect to her age, you're examining her through modern eyes. But there's a lot of households with a similar mentality. You'll need their agreement to marry and if they don't consent she won't. That can sound surprising in today's culture. But it's common in wealthy circles too.

We have a protocol in place which includes a series of meetings that are more intimate as things progress. I think initial meetings over meals are best. Lunch or brunch with the parents is more relaxed. If it's summer you can do it outdoors and enjoy the weather. The goal isn't interrogation. It's meeting and sharing a meal and conversation. Both should come away relaxed. First impressions aren't enough to weigh someone's character in that capacity.

Additional meetings are an outgrowth of the pairing. As the couple draws closer invitations follow. Which would include their parents as well. You're building an acquaintance with everyone and smoothing the path. That's how you have harmonious relationships with your in-laws. It's not her or his family. We're a unit and you have to behave that way. For the benefit of the pair, their future children and the family as a whole.

That's part of due diligence. You need to know what you're taking on. It's more than the other person. There's some things that come with them you have to be aware of to determine if they're acceptable or if you can live with them. You won't know without exposure.

Find out as much as you can about the person and their background before things get too far. If this is too much for you they did you a favor. I wouldn't conduct myself like that nor are my thoughts conveyed to the other person. That's for her ear and she should have told you the truth. She knows what they're like. You entered that blind and that isn't right.

On the other hand, if you continue you'll need to understand their ethos and determine how it aligns with your values. Patriarchal and legacy minded families (which are patriarchal too) are very closed. They don't allow anyone in who doesn't buy into the ethos. You're not going to shake up things in that environment. They'll turn against you if you try.

It sounds like she likes you but you're ignoring (or may be oblivious to) the undertone in her comments in respect to you and her parents. It's deferential. He's the head of the family and she's the matriarch. I won't speculate what marriage would look like for you. But in most cases you're marrying into a system and that isn't for everyone.

If you were raised that way or adopted that mentality that's one thing. But otherwise caution is best. You need to know what family means to them and the scope of their involvement with the couple and future children. More than likely their influence is felt. That's the way it goes.

~bella
Thank you Bella! I definitely wanted to get to know them, because I pray very steadfastly for a wife. Not just any wife, but a holy wife to have a holy life with. As someone that is a full virgin, praying for the same, and all the similarities we have it just felt right. Like it has to be her, but if that was the case why would all this be happening. I truly want a holy life. As I'm wanting to go into ministry, or an evanglistic outreach operation one day. It's always been on my heart.

Definitely felt very blinded-sided by the parents spying and then the dad watching us on the bench. Especially since she didn't say anything about him coming along with her that day. Actually I was pretty creeped out by that. Seeing him get out of the vehicle when she didn't pick up the phone, etc too.

I've tried to find out about their background, but it wasn't very clear. To my knowledge none of them but her actually attend church anymore, and I believe she's kept in the children's nursery. When I was doing a quick Holy Bible study with him with what time I had, he said he agreed with everything I said. Then of course it's up to her, but her, me and my wife will discuss it.

I definitely honored her request. I only sent her a one sentence happy birthday text for her birthday, since she had said the next conversation was to be with her dad. I honored her. I had cut all communications. Went from text/emails/meetings to nothing. I would have met him again too, but had no clue what to even do /say at the end.

The more I'm hearing from others and everyone's opinions about it, the more I think I don't think I could handle such parental influence. Not being able to text, talk or meet someone feels not only off to me, but un Christ like. I've tried to find biblical grounds for it, but my continued studying just keeps pointing out more issues. I felt it brought an unnecessary division between us in Christ, too.

I can't be with someone who isn't allowed to go to church with me, etc without the mom or dad etc having to come. Literally what she said when I asked again about it, she said her mom would probably have to come. Which I would have accepted to get to worship with her. From what I understand the mom had issues with the preacher where the woman currently goes to. People need friends, relationships and advice outside of their parents. Brothers and sisters in Christ help you to better understand and grasp things you can't by yourself. It's another reason I'm in discipleship; there is too much I just don't know and I'd be lost if I only trusted what my parents told me. I love my parents, I try to always honor them, but decisions always being discussed with parents etc just doesn't feel right. I feel like it's not giving the child back to God as we are supposed to when the children become adults. Without studying the Word of God myself, and getting involved with discussions I feel like I wouldn't be able to be me and follow God. I would feel like a shadow of my parent.

I appreciate your insight Bella, as it is a different perspective for me to take into consideration. I appreciate everyone's opinions and advice. I think I'll log for the rest of the day. I'm still quite sad about this situation. Need to keep praying. I still don't truly understand. It was good clean fun, pure side hugs and nothing evil or sinful going on. Reading the Holy Bible together, praying, talking about life, etc. I don't understand why anyone would want to take this away from her and me. Just like an endless breaking of my heart over this.

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
Sep 21, 2024
Kentucky
✟799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If this happens again you need to make a plan to get her out of that house. Dont let anything surprise you.
I don't want to ever feel that again. I have never felt anything like that before, and I don't want to again. I know a few people who can feel things, and even I have felt things sometimes. From a person I'm suppose to talk with or even recently Including her heart a few days ago, and I told her I felt her going back and forth then her feeling a peace. She said you are spot on.

That night, it was not like a normal feeling. It was a terrible uneasy feeling upon my soul. I couldn't rest that night/morning for about six-seven hours Someone said I shouldn't ask her, but I tried to ask about it twice. First time she ignored the question and second she just said everyone was just very upset that night and she dropped it. I know something happened that night/morning. What exactly I don't know, but I definitely don't want to feel it again. At this point, not much can surprise me. Been truly trying to fight for her, but I'm about the end of that. It's up to God fully now.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟1,022,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thank you Bella! I definitely wanted to get to know them, because I pray very steadfastly for a wife. Not just any wife, but a holy wife to have a holy life with. As someone that is a full virgin, praying for the same, and all the similarities we have it just felt right. Like it has to be her, but if that was the case why would all this be happening. I truly want a holy life. As I'm wanting to go into ministry, or an evanglistic outreach operation one day. It's always been on my heart.

It's understandable why you're interested given your similarities and chastity. But it takes more than to create a healthy union as you're discovering. Children learn what they live and some beginnings are better than others. But the spouse bears the brunt of it good or bad. Whatever that involves will be in addition to the marital responsibilities, children, other relationships and your work.

When you look at it from that perspective you may find it's too much to handle in light of the rest. Ministry brings its own pressures and demands and experiencing the same from loved ones may be too much. When I received my calling and understood my purpose I sifted my suitors through that reality.

It didn't matter how much he loved the Lord. How attractive he was or successful. Or how much desired me. What mattered most was whether he was an asset or liability towards its fulfillment. Because God isn't the author of confusion. He won't bring me a man who'd stand in my way or make me fail. I'm working for Him.

That helped to recalibrate my mind and heart. When I met prospects I asked them to paint me picture of the life they had in mind for themselves and their future spouse. I didn't want to influence their answer with my response and invited them to speak candidly and I listened.

Oftentimes their dreams conflicted with my commitment. That's okay and to be expected. And more than once they tried to sway me. I consider those experiences as lessons in refinement. But the day arrived when he found me while I was helping others and my advice struck a chord. He reached out and asked how to find the woman I described and we clicked.

I spent years praying for my husband and everything connected to him from head to toe. He recognized what he'd found immediately as did I and it was a little frightening. We had so much in common. A similar upbringing, disposition and interests. He had a passion for my calling and professional experience in that industry. The things I struggled to do he was good at and vice versa. I remember looking at the screen in awe.

Missional pairings rely on peace and agreement to function. You can't have a lot of strife because it threatens the bigger things you're working towards. You need mutual respect and admiration to stay the course. And oftentimes your example inspires others and the Lord uses you in that capacity..

I appreciate your insight Bella, as it is a different perspective for me to take into consideration.

I weighed in for that reason and shared personal tidbits for your edification. There's a way to go about it that's loving and considerate as I demonstrated in my response. If you weren't called to ministry and wanted to persist and were prepared to roll up your sleeves if required I might encourage it.

But I can't do that in good faith in light of your calling. Evangelism is a lot of work and time away. Many times wives assist their husbands through teaching, mentoring and hospitality. The woman you described isn't prepared for that. She doesn't have the agency required to do so.

Women like her usually marry patriarchal men and become stay-at-home wives and raise their children. That's their life. Breaking the mold would require a lot of psychological and emotional wrangling coupled with a lot of prayer. She may struggle with guilt afterwards.

Your wife needs to be in a better place if she's going to walk with a man in an office. You'll have a lot of challenges in the spirit realm she'll need to stand against in prayer. She can't be falling apart. That's not being cruel or requiring perfection. It's recognizing what the role involves and making an honest assessment.

Leave it with the Lord and move forward. If He wants to redeem the connection He will. But don't close your heart to other opportunities. He's not done with you yet.

God Bless. :yellowheart:

~bella

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟834,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

'
Good morning, myname ☀️
I miss you, myname.

The family sounds like they are new to this culture.

FWIW, even if no other problems come up, I think you will have an In-Law problem, if you marry her. But other problems are sure to surface.

My guess: She will not fully commit to you, but her loyalty will remain with her parents, and they will remain super-protective and super-controlling. In the early Old Testament times, that may not have been such a conflict, from what I have read, but nowadays can be a very serious problem. You are heading down a perilous path.

Also, bear in mind that marrying someone from another culture brings its own perils. Believe me I know about this!

That being said, it still might be the right thing to do. Look what Jacob went through to finally marry Rachel.

Let me add a humorous but relevant saying. "He marries her, expecting her not to change. She marries him, expecting him to change. She does, he doesn't." Now, let's add to that mix, super-controlling parents. Yeah, be scared!

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟327,539.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Many times, "signs" are not from the Lord. Many times, it simply came out of our own heart, created by our own longings and desires.

It can sometimes lead us into trouble.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟834,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

'
Good morning, myname ☀️
I miss you, myname.

Wow! You could write an interesting book!

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟5,047,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
'To my knowledge' none of them even date. Her older sister is 36. Her brothers I believe are 25 and 28; all four of them live at home in the 3 bedroom home with their parents. (I am not cutting anyone down for that.)I'm an upstart merchandiser at home due to needing room. The other siblings all share one car I believe. The one I was trying to get to know had her own car. No one can ride with her unless her parents say they can. Suppose to be her own Taekwondo studio, too. However no one can visit it either unless the parents allow. A family member of mine asked why we didn't just meet at her studio, since she is a 4th degree black belt and it's near a busy local mall and the woman told me her mom wouldn't like that.
I agree, I just don't know what to do. I don't know what to pray, how to feel. I've looked into her eyes, and seen the happiness in her eyes, and just so many mixed signals. I asked if we could pray together when we met again, and she said well if we did I know which side I would go with.
Don’t you find it a problem that the father lied and you told his daughter he lied when you did contact him and she basically ignores that fact? I find that highly disturbing. Huge red flags from the onset. I repeat: Run! The poor 30+ woman seems brainwashed and conditioned to live in fear of her parents. I mean, look at the other siblings… there is something very wrong there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0