• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Cardinal Burke: Reverence for the Eucharist Will Transform Us

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟5,019,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
‘He’s given us his own Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity to nourish his life within us. What a difference that has to make in our daily life.’

Editor’s Note: Cardinal Raymond Burke joined Johnnette Benkovic Williams on EWTN’s Women of Grace, discussing several topics. In the excerpt below, the cardinal discusses his deep understanding of the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist and how Catholics must be worthy to receive the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Lord.

We are visiting with His Eminence Cardinal Raymond Burke. He’s given us a wonderful book. I really want to recommend this to you. It’s educational, it’s instructive, but it does something else, too. It will inspire you and lead you to a greater reverence in our Lord Jesus Christ. And you’re probably saying, “Well, Johnnette, I have a great reverence.” I know, but there’s always more, because we cannot exhaust the beauty and the wonder of this great gift. So, what is it called? It’s called
Respecting the Body and Blood of the Lord: When Holy Communion Should Be Denied.

It’s a book that helps for us to understand why it is a scandal to receive the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ
to the Church at large when we are unworthy. In addition, and maybe even, I don’t know, equally as bad, maybe worse, is that it’s a sacrilege.

Your Eminence, we don’t have a right to receive Our Lord. It’s a privilege and a sacred trust, and we have to look at it that way. Take us into the canon law that speaks to this issue. You’re a canon lawyer. First of all, what is the Code of Canon Law? And what is the particular canon that applies to our discussion here?

Continued below.

This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums