• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Biden and Trump are set to debate

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,266,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Then-President Trump arrived at that first matchup in Cleveland seemingly determined to steamroll Biden at every turn, leaving the Democratic candidate exasperated and moderator Chris Wallace scrambling to regain control.

Now, in 2024, many of the rules insisted on this time by Biden’s team — and agreed to by the Trump campaign — are designed to minimize the potential of a chaotic rerun. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. There will be no studio audience to chime in with hoots and jeers.

While I like the "Muting of the mic" approach (due to Trump's non-stop interruptions the last time...and duct taping his mouth shut when it's not his turn isn't an option)

Not sure how I feel about the "no audience" provision this go-around...

I feel like the combination of that "no audience" rule, combined with the the fact that it's being hosted by CNN (and moderated by two of their anchors), lends itself to the perception (and possibly the reality) of "running cover for Biden".

A) I'm assuming there were some concerns about some pro-Palestinian protestors showing up and "making a scene" (in ways that are unflattering to Biden)
B) Whether or not they'd actually do it, the perception will be that due to CNN controlling the feed (and the delay), they'll selectively cut Biden moments that contain mumbling or awkward pauses. An audience being there would at least give the perception that there's people there who could keep them honest after the fact and provide details about whether or not there were certain moments that didn't make it to TV.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟545,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Then-President Trump arrived at that first matchup in Cleveland seemingly determined to steamroll Biden at every turn, leaving the Democratic candidate exasperated and moderator Chris Wallace scrambling to regain control.

Now, in 2024, many of the rules insisted on this time by Biden’s team — and agreed to by the Trump campaign — are designed to minimize the potential of a chaotic rerun. Each candidate’s microphone will be muted, except when it’s his turn to speak. There will be no studio audience to chime in with hoots and jeers.

While I like the "Muting of the mic" approach (due to Trump's non-stop interruptions the last time...and duct taping his mouth shut when it's not his turn isn't an option)

Not sure how I feel about the "no audience" provision this go-around...

I feel like the combination of that "no audience" rule, combined with the the fact that it's being hosted by CNN (and moderated by two of their anchors), lends itself to the perception (and possibly the reality) of "running cover for Biden".

A) I'm assuming there were some concerns about some pro-Palestinian protestors showing up and "making a scene" (in ways that are unflattering to Biden)
B) Whether or not they'd actually do it, the perception will be that due to CNN controlling the feed (and the delay), they'll selectively cut Biden moments that contain mumbling or awkward pauses. An audience being there would at least give the perception that there's people there who could keep them honest after the fact and provide details about whether or not there were certain moments that didn't make it to TV.
I wish that C-SPAN was hosting the debate, as C-SPAN leaves everything raw and unedited, and is centrist, according to Allsides. :)

Source: C-SPAN Media Bias Rating
1719446428990.png

CNN on the other hand is leftist: CNN Digital Media Bias Rating
1719446528781.png

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,266,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wish that C-SPAN was hosting the debate, as C-SPAN leaves everything raw and unedited, and is centrist, according to Allsides. :)
I would concur...

Although, C-SPAN isn't exactly the same "ratings grabber" of CNN/Fox/etc... so it's not surprising that they didn't get the gig.

As I once heard someone say "Clowns get a better response at the circus than they do in other venues"

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟545,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would concur...

Although, C-SPAN isn't exactly the same "ratings grabber" of CNN/Fox/etc... so it's not surprising that they didn't get the gig.

As I once heard someone say "Clowns get a better response at the circus than they do in other venues"
Haha, that is true. C-SPAN is pretty boring, and the reason why, is because it presents the raw facts, with no spice or flavor, hence why it does not get the ratings or attention that other news networks do. I need to watch it though, cos C-SPAN is miles better than CNN and Fox.

I love that quote. Who said it?

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟600,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm pretty confident in predicting that I'll listen to it and, at some point, think "please, please, just shut up."

What I'm less confident about is who on stage (Biden, Trump, or the mods) will prompt me to think that most often.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟545,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm pretty confident in predicting that I'll listen to it and, at some point, think "please, please, just shut up."

What I'm less confident about is who on stage (Biden, Trump, or the mods) will prompt me to think that most often.
I might just have to watch a 30 minute recap of the debates, cos I can not stand either candidate. :)

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,520,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

...I understand both campaigns bypassed the commission that normally handles Presidential debates.
I suspect Trump agreed with the intention of making this very argument if it doesn't go well with him.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,520,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wish that C-SPAN was hosting the debate, as C-SPAN leaves everything raw and unedited, and is centrist, according to Allsides.

...yea, but C-SPAN would still need to moderate the debate. I'm not sure they anyone on staff that would be up to that uneviable task : )

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟545,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...yea, but C-SPAN would still need to moderate the debate. I'm not sure they anyone on staff that would be up to that uneviable task : )
C-SPAN would probably not want to put up with anything. :) So yeah, guess we will have to wait and see the debates this evening.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟198,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I might just have to watch a 30 minute recap of the debates, cos I can not stand either candidate. :)
There is a movie called Robin and Marion in which there is a fight scene between an elderly Robin Hood (Sean Connery) and an equally elderly Sheriff of Nottingham (Robert Shaw.) They flail away at each other for a while until the Sheriff has a heart attack and both men have to be carried from the field. I think we will be looking at something like that.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟342,580.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think there should be two moderators. Each candidate gets to pick one for the other side.
Send a suggestion to Trump's team? They're the ones who agreed to the terms.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟545,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is a movie called Robin and Marion in which there is a fight scene between an elderly Robin Hood (Sean Connery) and an equally elderly Sheriff of Nottingham (Robert Shaw.) They flail away at each other for a while until the Sheriff has a heart attack and both men have to be carried from the field. I think we will be looking at something like that.
I should watch this movie. :) Seems like that is what is gonna happen this evening on the debate stage. Two elderly men duke it out on live television.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟166,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I will settle on reading a recap tomorrow myself. This is not entertainment that is enjoyable for me. It's politics. One guy takes it too seriously and the other guy not seriously enough. I may vote but likely won't be compelled to watch these two fellers argue.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟177,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
C-SPAN would probably not want to put up with anything. :) So yeah, guess we will have to wait and see the debates this evening.
I can almost envision Brian Lamb and the distinguished candidates in a darkened room, all sitting in leather wingback chairs quietly and calmly discussing the issues of the day, vehemently and with passion, all the while the ice quietly melts in the Waterford crystal pitcher.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟236,305.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can almost envision Brian Lamb and the distinguished candidates in a darkened room, all sitting in leather wingback chairs quietly and calmly discussing the issues of the day, vehemently and with passion, all the while the ice quietly melts in the Waterford crystal pitcher.
I can see declaring the last candidate to fall asleep in the comfy chairs the winner.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟360,622.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Send a suggestion to Trump's team? They're the ones who agreed to the terms.
Yeah, I am certainly scratching my head on that one. I think it's just another example of Trumps bluster, thinking that he can beat Biden on any stage. I guess we'll see.

Upvote 0