• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Are Catholics really fleeing to the fields to escape modernity’s mess?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟5,019,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If, like me, you spend a little too much time on Catholic Twitter – or should I say X – then you might in the past few weeks have scrolled past various photos with a theme that caused a bit of a double take. Beards, braids, flannel shirts and long floaty skirts was the aesthetic that suddenly seemed to dominate my timeline.

While you may be forgiven for thinking the photos came from some New Age festival, they actually came from a conference in upstate New York – predominantly attended by Catholics.

The third annual Catholic Land Movement conference took place in upstate New York at the end of June, with around 300 people in attendance. The conference featured workshops on beekeeping, livestock care, how to work a well, among other homesteading topics.

The conference really stuck to its Catholic credentials: it convened on the site of the North American Martyrs Shrine in Auriesville, attendees prayed the rosary, and on the final day of the conference many of the boys in attendance served a Traditional Latin Mass celebrated by His Excellency Edward Scharfenberger of the Albany Diocese in New York.

Such a blend of homesteading and Catholicism is not unique to upstate New York; the Midwest-Appalachia region will hold its second Catholic Land Movement conference this September, and those interested in the Catholic Land Movement ethos are spread far and wide.

Continued below.