• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

A Guide to Dialogues with Nonbelievers

EvanWilliams

Aug 3, 2010
✟15,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
To all Christians:

I have constructed the following as a guide to you to help you in your dialogues with nonbelievers. The following is a list of common fallacious arguments Christians use against atheists and agnostics. Moderators, I know this looks tongue-in-cheek and facetious at first glance, but I am seriously making an attempt to provide advice that will foster better dialogue between Christians and atheists. I am merely providing them a list of things NOT to say, lest they be dismissed by atheists entirely, normally for the realization that the Christian has no understanding of their actual beliefs and lack thereof. But please move this thread if it is in the wrong section. That being said, let's begin:

1. Do not misrepresent the atheist's worldview. For example, do not assert the old line that we automatically believe that we came from nothing, which demonstrates a profound ignorance of the actual tenets of Big Bang theory and evolutionary biology, concepts most atheists accept.

2. Do not play the victim card. In other words, do not assert that Christians are persecuted by atheists, the government, or general society. This is especially pungent to us atheists when your churches have taxation concessions and great influence over high-level politicians.

3. Do not make the claim that simply because science does not understand a particular concept yet, that it automatically means that a God is responsible. This is a false dichotomy and will cause most atheists to immediately dismiss your arguments. Besides, most of us will immediately wonder, ignoring the obvious bifurcation, what could possibly lead you to assume that it is the god of your particular religion.

4. Do not confuse the concept of a theory in the common vernacular and a scientific theory. The word "theory" has an entirely different meaning in science than it does in common discourse. For example, saying that evolution is "just a theory" will immediately cause us to assume that you were sleeping in high school science class.

5. Do not bring cosmology into a debate about evolutionary theory. The two are completely unrelated.

6. Do not assert that evolution provides no explanation for human morality... because...well... it actually does, based on the survival value of mutual cooperative groups. Read Richard Dawkins if you want the full story.

7. Do not argue that irreducable complexity is proof of creation. I won't go into the specifics of why that is false here, but read a book on evolutionary biology if you are interested in why that is tosh.

8. Do not claim that information cannot be added to a genome. Reading up on frame shift mutations in examples of gene duplication will provide insight as to why information can in fact be added to a genome, a whole new stretch of DNA with an entirely new protein coding function suddenly being introduced.

9. Do not claim that the universe is less than 10000 years old because science has proven in a multitude of ways that is demonstrably not true, most notably the distance of stars, the rate of expansion of the universe, and the rate of travel of light from distant stars that are well over 10000 light years away.

10. Do not use the Bible as a source of argument that the Biblical God is true. That is an entirely circular argument. Trying to do this would be like using a Star Trek movie to prove the existence of Scotty.

11. Do not accuse the atheist of having a culture of close-mindedness, especially because atheistic scientists embody humanity's endeavor to establish truth, to question everything, and to contribute to mankind an explanation and an understanding of reality through constant, unbiased, open, and transparent experimentation and discovery, in which falsifiability and replicability are highly valued and relied upon. This is the exact opposite of being close-minded.

12. Do not assert that science keeps "changing its mind". This statement would demonstrate a profound ignorance of the scientific method and will cause most atheists to immediately dismiss anything else you have to say about science. Like I said, science constantly revises its understanding of reality in light of new discoveries and data, which is decidedly not the same thing as flippantly "changing your mind". This is called progress, so you would be in effect denigrating the progress of which you presumably are a beneficiary, as you are viewing this via the Internet.

13. Do not claim that atheism is also a religion when it is in fact a rejection of religion. This is tantamount to saying that "off" is a TV channel. If the rejection of religion is religion, then not playing football is a sport. Atheism has no creed, no corollary obligations, no faith, no unproven propositions, no organization, no rules or rituals, and no affirmations. To reiterate, atheism is *not* a religion.

14. Do not claim that the mass-murderers of the 20th century such as Hitler and Stalin prove anything about a disbelief in God. There is no logical link between atheism and genocidal atrocities. To suggest otherwise is to make a massive causality error because you are ignoring the mass-murderers additional dogmatic adherence to communism, facism, collectivism, nationalism, and militarism, all of which have nothing to do with atheism, and do not reflect the more libertarian atheist modality as it exists today. Besides, Hitler believed in God, a fact noticably apparant by the fact that Nazi belt buckles were inscribed with, "God is with us"

15. Do not claim that the Founding Fathers of the United States were overtly Christian or that the United States was founded on Christian principles when in fact the truth is quite the opposite. You can easily see this by reading the founding documents, for instance the Treaty of Tripoli from 1796. Or the First Amendment's proclamation of freedom from religion. Or capitalism's direct defiance of the Tenth Commandment.

16. Do not assert that without religion, we would have no moral compass without providing any arguments. Western civilization decidedly does not get its morality from the Bible. And, to assert the need of religion for morality is to completely ignore the Humanist movement and evolutionary biology. Furthermore, you are making an appeal to consequence, a logical fallacy. Consequence has no objective impact on the veracity of a belief or non-belief.

17. Do not assert that any civilized legal system is based on the Ten Commandments. This is certainly not true in America, and could only be possible in a theocratic dictatorship. We all know someone who works on the Sabbath without killing or condemning them, instead paying them extra for doing so, so none of that. The Fifth Commandment here in America rather depends on how honorably one's parents have behaved themselves. The 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th are all good laws, although the punishments are not the same as in the Bible. As I said before, the 10th commandment prohibits the central mechanism of capitalism.

18. Do not assert that any criticism of Christianity that refers to the Old Testament is invalid, especially when you turn right around later and use the Old Testament as evidence that Christ's coming was foreshadowed. By doing this, you are trying to have it both ways, which is both disingenuous and intellectually dishonest.

19. Do not use appeals to emotion or consequence of belief such as "Then what meaning does life have" or "Evolution tells us we're just an accident". Your emotions on the matter have no bearing on objective reality.

20. Do not use appeals to fear such as "You'll burn in Hell". We already don't believe in Hell and frankly will just laugh at you if you expect us to take you seriously when you theaten us. Threats only convince us further that your religion has little more to stand on than fear.

21. Do not use appeals to the majority such as "A billion people believe it, it must be right". I could say the same thing about atheism and Islam, and I'm pretty sure you and I are in agreement about Islam. Besides, many people believing something has no bearing on its objective truth. For example, the whole world used to believe that the earth was flat. Saying that now would earn you well-deserved ridicule.

22. Do not use appeals to antiquity. The age of a belief does not make it any more true than it was when it was new. If I believed that a triangle had four sides and lived to be a billion years old, I would be just as wrong as I was today if I still held the same belief.

23. Do not try to convince us using anecdotal evidence. Your personal story of how you converted and that feeling in your heart that you speak of are no more convincing to us than the Bible is. Of course, experience is evidence, but only if we can objectively verify your experience. Sorry, but only evidence counts as evidence.

24. Do not attempt to argue about the finer details of evolution unless you have actually read about evolution. I made this mistake when I was a creationist. You will likely just embarass yourself and discredit your position, making all Christians look bad. I don't pretend to know about the finer details of theology as I have not researched them in depth (yet); similarly, you should not attempt to confer with us on evolution if you have not actually read and understood evolution. If you use the argument, "then why are there still monkeys", "why don't monkeys give birth to humans", or pretty much any of the standard creationist monkey fare, you do not understand evolution in the slightest.

25. If you bring up anything from the Hovind "Theory", prepare to be immediately ridiculed. I could personally shred the Hovind Theory to bits here, as could anyone with a high school science education, but that's a post for another day. In fact, you're probably better off just not mentioning anything to do with Noah's Ark to us. Honestly, most of us are embarassed for you when we watch you try to prove that that story is literally true. I could also shred Noah's Ark, but that is also for another post on another forum where I won't get banned for it. I wonder if I'm going to get banned for this post itself anyway. Again, mods please move this if it is in the wrong section.

26. Do not try to convince us using Pascal's Wager. If you don't know what that is, look it up. We find this argument completely disingenuous and another thinly veiled appeal to fear of Hell. It is quite possibly the most horrible mangling of game theory I have yet to see. Apart from the thinly veiled threat, this belief is flawed because you are trying to convince us to change our belief out of fear rather than being convinced. Beliefs do not work this way. One cannot simply change his belief at will without being persuaded; doing otherwise is simply giving lip-service, which an omniscient God would see through. So, Pascal's Wager utterly and completely fails at being a compelling argument for belief in God, and also provides no real argument for God's objective existence, but is rather a "best to cover your behind" argument. It is widely considered by us to be the most pathetic and un-Christian argument for God aside from direct threats of hellfire.

I hope reading this will help all Christians promote better dialogue with atheists, and end some of the parroting of stale old arguments thoroughly debunked years ago. I would also like to see a similar list from a Christian some day as advice for atheists in dialogues =)

-Evan Williams

Last edited:

EvanWilliams

Aug 3, 2010
✟15,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Above all else, the most important rule of all that I can't believe I forgot:

27. NEVER get angry at an atheist if he has not directly insulted or blasphemed against you. In other words, do not get mad if we simply disagree with you or are not convinced. This just shows to us that you do not follow your own religion's philosophy of turning the other cheek. Anger is also a psychological clue-in to us that on some level or another, we have struck a nerve and that you have some deeply buried doubts about your own belief. If you want to appear to be a true Christian to us... if you *really* want to convince us, do not get angry with us without good reason. If your religion cannot stand up against scrutiny without an angry reaction, we will without fail write it off entirely.

Upvote 0

znr

Report THIS.
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟53,920.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
Above all else, the most important rule of all that I can't believe I forgot:

27. NEVER get angry at an atheist if he has not directly insulted or blasphemed against you. In other words, do not get mad if we simply disagree with you or are not convinced. This just shows to us that you do not follow your own religion's philosophy of turning the other cheek. Anger is also a psychological clue-in to us that on some level or another, we have struck a nerve and that you have some deeply buried doubts about your own belief. If you want to appear to be a true Christian to us... if you *really* want to convince us, do not get angry with us without good reason. If your religion cannot stand up against scrutiny without an angry reaction, we will without fail write it off entirely.

#27 tells me a great deal about you, Evan. Welcome.

Yeah your post will probably be moved to another board, I'm thinking. But I doubt if you post your Noah's Ark deal that you'll be banned for it if its posted on a more appropriate board.

Upvote 0

EvanWilliams

Aug 3, 2010
✟15,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
#27 tells me a great deal about you, Evan. Welcome.

May I ask what, precisely? Mind you, I am not speaking directly about myself. Much of what I said in this thread contrasts with my personal views. I am speaking as well as I can about the majority of the atheist community.

Upvote 0

r035198x

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
✟20,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would love to take all your rules apart one by one but I'm just feeling too lazy to do that.

I find all these rules to be of little relevance (and consequence) anyway.
There are different types of non-believers (from a Christian perspective).
Each one requires a different method typically based on what they already believe.

Also while disproving someone's belief does not prove any belief to be true, it is nevertheless an important step in the conversion process.

Personally I believe in a God who can prove Himself to people whenever He so desires so I don't take any religion (dis)proving arguments too seriously.

Reactions: Twip7
Upvote 0

EvanWilliams

Aug 3, 2010
✟15,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would love to take all your rules apart one by one but I'm just feeling too lazy to do that.

If you're not going to present the counter-argument, then why bother stating that you have it? I would love to hear your counter-argument, personally. If you can prove me wrong, and maybe I am, then do it, but don't just sit there and idly criticize without anything of substance to back it up.

I find all these rules to be of little relevance (and consequence) anyway.
There are different types of non-believers (from a Christian perspective).
Each one requires a different method typically based on what they already believe.

I specifically indicated that I was referring mainly to atheists and agnostics. Or I thought I made that clear; if I didn't forgive me. I was indeed referring to atheists and agnostics, not to other religious faiths. Your Christian peers will disagree that they are of little relevance as pretty much every Christian I have encountered on the Internet or in my personal life parrots these arguments as if they are undeniable proof that God is real. I am simply pointing out why they are erroneous. Again, if I am wrong, actually present a counter-argument.

Also while disproving someone's belief does not prove any belief to be true, it is an nevertheless an important step in the conversion process.

I assume you are referring to the rule in which I discussed a false dichotomy? I was indicating that many Christians do not recognize what you are saying, and simply make the quantum leap to:

"ZOMGZ FALSE DICHOTOMEEZ R AWESUMZ, THERE4 MAI PURTIKULURRR BELIEEFZ IZ T3H TRUEZ, KTHXBAI"

Personally I believe in a God who can prove Himself to people whenever He so desires so I don't take any religion (dis)proving arguments too seriously.

Fair enough, except that your God *doesn't* prove himself to people, save for some miracles 2000 years ago and a load of unverifiable anecdotes. Instead, he apparently went about setting up the ridiculous system of appearing not to exist and requiring his believers to believe in him and a son that he unnecessarily sacrificed to himself without a shred of verifiable evidence, and in tales that contradict scientific fact and modern sensibility. And, if you don't believe all of this, he'l burn you forever in a fiery pit that he created (and yes, he did create it in one sense or another, directly or indirectly). But he loves you! Go ahead and have your belief, I respect your right to it, but I'm not much for a theological version of Battered Wife Syndrome.

What you are saying is pretty much that you have your belief and stick your fingers in your ears and go, "LALALALALA!" whenever you encounter logic, science, or reason that counters it.

Also, I made no attempt to disprove religion here nor to prove anything about Christianity or atheism. What I have done is outline some common arguments Christians use, and attempt to show them why they are invalid. Atheists are just as guilty of making stupid arguments against Christianity, which is why I solicited a similar thread from a Christian to atheists.

Eh, I don't know why I bothered, to be honest =/ ... everything I just said will probably fall on deaf ears, anyway, like in your case.

-Evan Williams

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DoctorJosh

Jun 7, 2010
United States of America
✟564.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Evan, problem with your list is that you are presuming to believe all atheists are alike and that these things will turn them away, but in fact some of these points you brought up have in fact brought atheists to view Christianity in a new light and some have become Christians because of their unanswered questions.

What it looks like to me is your own assumptions are getting the better of you. That you being an atheist you feel you must defend other atheists or the fact to deter Christians from helping atheists find answers they seek. Which ever is your course or discourse really seems to be nothing but a point of view of all atheists. I can give a list of some locally around my area who were once atheists, but now they are Christian due to the fact just giving them some light on even some of the topics you covered has helped them look for answers with Christianity, thus they found Jesus and accepted Jesus as their Savior.

What I do ask is that you find any evidence of Christianity that has been found and try to discredit it, either by science or otherwise and then we can have a debate about it and I will gladly provide my proof as well. I wish you well on your journey and I Pray you look for the Truth before subjecting it all hearsay. The proof is there if you just research it. God Bless.

Upvote 0

r035198x

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
✟20,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you're not going to present the counter-argument, then why bother stating that you have it? I would love to hear your counter-argument, personally. If you can prove me wrong, and maybe I am, then do it, but don't just sit there and idly criticize without anything of substance to back it up.
I did present a counter argument to your rule 3 as an example and stated my reasons for not bothering with all of them. They are irrelevant because they don't work for all atheists, they are of no consequence because they are not going to change argument patterns in any significant way and I'm too lazy to waste my time on something so inconsequential.
I was indeed referring to atheists and agnostics, not to other religious faiths.
Statement still applies. For example, not all atheists believe everything you believe. Establishing the beliefs of the person you are arguing with allows you to make rules for argument that are relevant.
Fair enough, except that your God *doesn't* prove himself to people, save for some miracles 2000 years ago and a load of unverifiable anecdotes
You can't really prove that He doesn't prove Himself to people who are converted daily these days. You have not investigated every claim of miraculous encounter.
What you are saying is pretty much that you have your belief and stick your fingers in your ears and go, "LALALALALA!" whenever you encounter logic, science, or reason that counters it.
Probably what you wanted me to say more than what I actually did say.

What I'm pretty much saying is that people who have never encountered certain things/beings are not really expected to believe those things but would find it difficult trying to convince those who have encountered that what they encountered does not exist.

P.S Sorry if the last statement there sounds like a riddle, couldn't find clearer ways to express it.

Upvote 0

EvanWilliams

Aug 3, 2010
✟15,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Evan, problem with your list is that you are presuming to believe all atheists are alike and that these things will turn them away, but in fact some of these points you brought up have in fact brought atheists to view Christianity in a new light and some have become Christians because of their unanswered questions.

That may well be, but it doesn't change the fact that the arguments are rooted in unsound reasoning. I made no assumption that all atheists are alike; again, I simply analyzed arguments Christians use against atheism and pointed out why they are erroneous. I made many references to the 'majority' of atheists who remain unconvinced.

What it looks like to me is your own assumptions are getting the better of you. That you being an atheist you feel you must defend other atheists or the fact to deter Christians from helping atheists find answers they seek. Which ever is your course or discourse really seems to be nothing but a point of view of all atheists. I can give a list of some locally around my area who were once atheists, but now they are Christian due to the fact just giving them some light on even some of the topics you covered has helped them look for answers with Christianity, thus they found Jesus and accepted Jesus as their Savior.

At no point in this thread did I make any attempt to deter Christians from attempting to convert atheists or did I defend atheism. It is you, friend, who seem to be making assumptions. If your formerly atheist acquaintances are happy with their newfound faith, then hey, more power to them. I myself am seeking answers by reading the Bible cover to cover and studying Christian history. I am not closed to conversion, nor am I defending atheists, nor am I deterring Christians. Again, it was a simple list of fallacious arguments that have no real merit. The fact that some atheists fell for them does not make them logically sound. You are reading too far into my purpose, which I clearly stated in the first paragraph, to improve discourse between theists and atheists.

What I do ask is that you find any evidence of Christianity that has been found and try to discredit it, either by science or otherwise and then we can have a debate about it and I will gladly provide my proof as well. I wish you well on your journey and I Pray you look for the Truth before subjecting it all hearsay. The proof is there if you just research it. God Bless.

Again, I am not dismissing Christianity entirely. I am just trying to guide Christians to better lines of reasoning than the ones they have been using. Thank you for your blessings. As for your suggestion, the Shroud of Turin intrigues me, but I have yet to research it in detail. Perhaps I will PM you when I learn more about it or repost here. To be clear though, we are talking about proposed evidence for the positive claim that Christianity is true? Not evidence against Christianity?

Peace,
-Evan Williams

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EvanWilliams

Aug 3, 2010
✟15,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I did present a counter argument to your rule 3 as an example and stated my reasons for not bothering with all of them. They are irrelevant because they don't work for all atheists, they are of no consequence because they are not going to change argument patterns in any significant way and I'm too lazy to waste my time on something so inconsequential.

You are right that not all atheists believe the same things, but they are united by one thing: a common lack of a belief in gods, which is the main issue addressed in each argument. Christians attempt to use these arguments against the many different types of atheists, and the objections are largely the same between classes of atheism.

Statement still applies. For example, not all atheists believe everything you believe. Establishing the beliefs of the person you are arguing with allows you to make rules for argument that are relevant.

Again, my contention is that all atheists are united by lack of belief in gods, which is at the heart of the issues and arguments I am discussing.

You can't really prove that He doesn't prove Himself to people who are converted daily these days. You have not investigated every claim of miraculous encounter.

And you can't prove that he does, so your claim that he can prove himself whenever he wants is, to use your own language, irrelevant.

What I'm pretty much saying is that people who have never encountered certain things/beings are not really expected to believe those things but would find it difficult trying to convince those who have encountered that what they encountered does not exist.

P.S Sorry if the last statement there sounds like a riddle, couldn't find clearer ways to express it.

I think I understand what you are saying now. This of course raises the question of why some people are so privileged to encounter these supposed beings and others are not. In spite of 15 years of prayer to God as a teenager, I never once encountered anything that you are describing. Why the imbalance? Not a very effective system for fostering belief, there, God.

Peace,
-Evan Williams

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟704,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I appreciate you trying to help us reach atheists and improve our communications with them regarding religion. I was hoping however, that you might have some ideas of how we should approach these dialogues, besides avoiding your list of common fallacious arguments?

Upvote 0

EvanWilliams

Aug 3, 2010
✟15,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I appreciate you trying to help us reach atheists and improve our communications with them regarding religion. I was hoping however, that you might have some ideas of how we should approach these dialogues, besides avoiding your list of common fallacious arguments?

You mean start them? Or the general attitude to take when engaging in them?

On starting a dialogue, I find that bluntly asking "Hey, do you believe in God?" right off the bat tends to send a lot of atheists into defense mode right off the bat. I've noticed that discussions are usually more civil and productive when the topic of belief is broached through an indirect means.

As for general tone of the conversation, although you are attempting to convert the atheist to your worldview, avoid sounding too self-righteous, quoting too much scripture (in fact it's better if you don't do this at all, as a good number of atheists don't really care what the Bible has to say about anything), or sounding condescending. Those are huge turn-offs and many Christians don't realize they are doing it. Admittedly, atheists can be just as condescending and overconfident. I mean, you believe in God, right? I don't mean this in a facetious way, I'm serious: Ask God for guidance.

Peace,
-Evan Williams

Upvote 0

r035198x

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
✟20,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are right that not all atheists believe the same things, but they are united by one thing: a common lack of a belief in gods, which is the main issue addressed in each argument. Christians attempt to use these arguments against the many different types of atheists, and the objections are largely the same between classes of atheism

Again, my contention is that all atheists are united by lack of belief in gods, which is at the heart of the issues and arguments I am discussing.
You mistake your experiences for everyone else's. Each argument is different and addresses different issues. It is impossible to lay down rules for all arguments because each encounter is different. Personally I have used opposing approaches two different different people before.
That's why my opinion is that your rules are irrelevant and inconsequential.
And you can't prove that he does, so your claim that he can prove himself whenever he wants is, to use your own language, irrelevant.
You are now failing to uphold your own rule 3.

... In spite of 15 years of prayer to God as a teenager, I never once encountered anything that you are describing. Why the imbalance?
Several reasons could be given but they would have to be based on your exact actions and experiences. See, no general rules exist. Reasons that apply to you do not neccessarily apply to everyone else.

P.S When replying, try to make sure that your words are not inside the quote tags.

Upvote 0

EvanWilliams

Aug 3, 2010
✟15,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You mistake your experiences for everyone else's. Each argument is different and addresses different issues. It is impossible to lay down rules for all arguments because each encounter is different. Personally I have used opposing approaches two different different people before.
That's why my opinion is that your rules are irrelevant and inconsequential.

No; I am also drawing on the experience of numerous atheists I know from all subsets of atheism.

You are now failing to uphold your own rule 3.

At what point in that sentence did I say that because blank doesn't understand blank, blank must be true instead? I presented no false dichotomy there. I said that because your claims that people experience those things can NEVER be objectively verified, they are ultimately irrelevant in a rational dialogue. What I said before was that science has not YET completed its understanding of certain concepts, and Christians create a God of the Gaps that retreats to the new shadow every time a new scientific discovery is made. Totally different statements. You are making the positive claim that people experience these things; the burden of proof lies with you. You saying I cannot disprove something is a completely nonsensical reason to believe it is somehow more valid.

Several reasons could be given but they would have to be based on your exact actions and experiences. See, no general rules exist. Reasons that apply to you do not neccessarily apply to everyone else.

Well, my understanding is that Jesus said, "Knock, and the door will be opened". There was nothing in the Bible about all types of BS and exceptions based on your circumstances. I knocked for fifteen years. Nothing. I took the confirmation classes, I was baptized, I did pretty much everything my confirmation classmates did. Some of them experienced Jesus directly, or claim to have. Some did not, including me.

I'm digressing, but when I'm totally honest with myself, I do realize that part of my atheism may stem from the bitterness and cynicism that and other God-related experiences in my life have imprinted onto me. These include God not answering my prayers to save my grandfathe from being burned alive in a fire, my best friend from dying of being stabbed in the aorta, and a car crash that scarred me for life. Long story short: I was in a car crash in which I was the sole survivor. The thing that has puzzled me to this day is that the other four in the car all died and were devout Christians. I emerged unscathed and am an atheist, which you must understand causes anyone to have some serious doubts. That is why I am here, mainly. To learn about Christianity, give it another pass, and see if I experience that "something" you describe this time.

Look, basically, I realize your points, and to an extent, yes they are valid. Not all atheists are the same and some of those points won't matter for some. That is why I tried to round out the list with different fallacious arguments I've heard in a sort of shotgun approach. I'm just trying to demonstrate the arguments I've had used against me and plenty of other atheists I have talked to from different subsets of atheism that are demonstrably invalid.

Maybe they are inconsequential. Maybe they are irrelevant. Maybe you are right. If they help someone though, either through realizing the fallacies, or helping them better understand us atheists, then I can be happy with myself. This is really just part of my attempts to re-examine the Christianity I have left behind, to give it a really fair shake and help some other Christians along the way if I can to promote better dialogue. I am in no way asserting that this is a comprehensive list; it is merely my effort to contribute.

Peace,
-Evan Williams

Last edited:
Upvote 0

znr

Report THIS.
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟53,920.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
May I ask what, precisely? Mind you, I am not speaking directly about myself. Much of what I said in this thread contrasts with my personal views. I am speaking as well as I can about the majority of the atheist community.

I did reply to you. Only I did so in a private message. Not sure if you're able to get private messages. If you can't (due to having to have a certain number of posts) then let me know and I'll repost it here.

Also, there is a man here who goes by johnnz. I hope you cross paths with him. He's a very interesting man to say the least.

Upvote 0

r035198x

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
✟20,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
These include God not answering my prayers to save my grandfathe from being burned alive in a fire ...
I'm sorry for your loss but perhaps you misunderstood a lot of things in those days that you say you were a Christian.
Christianity does not teach that everyone's prayers are going to be answered.
Neither does it teach that all non-Christians will die while all Christians will survive. To use these events to deny the existence of God shows this misunderstanding.
See the words I have in bold there, they are the reason for my responses. You are trying to generalize things that cannot be generalized. Even if all the atheists on this forum believe the same things that you do. It still doesn't mean the rules apply for all atheists.
My point is that the rules are your experiences from your previous arguments. New arguments may add/remove from them. Other people (me for example) have used contradictory approaches both successfully and unsuccessfully.
Asking Christians to make them rules of thumb is therefore not reasonable. My suggestion is to understand what the other person believes so you know where you differ. This not only narrows the arguments to relevant points but also allows one to set relevant rules for the discussion.

Upvote 0

EvanWilliams

Aug 3, 2010
✟15,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm sorry for your loss but perhaps you misunderstood a lot of things in those days that you say you were a Christian.
Christianity does not teach that everyone's prayers are going to be answered.
Neither does it teach that all non-Christians will die while all Christians will survive. To use these events to deny the existence of God shows this misunderstanding.

Well, those aren't my only reasons for disbelief, but such events do tend to suggest that the world is goverened more by chance than a God that influences things directly as many believe. Those experiences also brought me to the decision that even if God exists, I wouldn't want to worship him because I could think of practically thousands of better ways he could be running things. Like why bother requiring faith, given all the wars, death, and suffering that concept has visited upon so many. Why not just actually appear, quell all doubt, and have an actual relationship with all human beings? The way God apparently does things just makes absolutely no sense to me.

See the words I have in bold there, they are the reason for my responses. You are trying to generalize things that cannot be generalized. Even if all the atheists on this forum believe the same things that you do. It still doesn't mean the rules apply for all atheists.

Like I said, I am fully aware of this. I think you are misunderstanding my intentions, largely in part because I was not clear enough in communicating them. After re-reading my own post, I can see how you arrived that conclusion. My real intent here was to share my own experiences and what I know to be the experiences of others to compile a list of what I personally know to be invalid arguments.

My point is that the rules are your experiences from your previous arguments. New arguments may add/remove from them. Other people (me for example) have used contradictory approaches both successfully and unsuccessfully.

Okay, fine, I have to give you that. After all, adding and removing arguments as new information comes to light is the essence of the scientific method. But I'm still curious: doesn't using contradictory approaches feel just a little intellectually dishonest?

Asking Christians to make them rules of thumb is therefore not reasonable. My suggestion is to understand what the other person believes so you know where you differ. This not only narrows the arguments to relevant points but also allows one to set relevant rules for the discussion.

Again, I think the source of our misunderstanding here stems from my failure to fully convey my intent. I don't expect Christians to make them rules of thumb because I know they won't. My intention is more along the lines of showing why those arguments go awry so Christians can better understand why many of us reject those lines of reasoning.

Peace
-Evan Williams

Upvote 0

DoctorJosh

Jun 7, 2010
United States of America
✟564.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for clearing that up Evan. I was not making an assumption, it was more of a pre-assumption as the wording you described seemed to point in that direction. =) Yes, please feel free to discuss anything with me as I am always willing to help and I will eliminate all assumptions thereof for the sake of logical and "based on evidence" answers for you. At least you do believe there is a God, which helps build on the Blind Faith that you can relate to with other Christians as we all have gone through that stage at some point. It wasn't just we were born believers, we had to be convinced believers and through that Blind Faith we accepted Jesus based on the evidence provided to us, either personally for some or by scriptural evidence for others. It was both for me, though a lot of research brought me to fully develope full Trust in Christianity and in the Lord Jesus. It was a long journey to eliminate all doubt. I know personally I could never expect anyone to just accept things without finding proof for themselves. God Bless. (Sorry its bunched together, I have java off so my browsing is faster.)

Upvote 0

EvanWilliams

Aug 3, 2010
✟15,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
At least you do believe there is a God, which helps build on the Blind Faith that you can relate to with other Christians as we all have gone through that stage at some point. It wasn't just we were born believers, we had to be convinced believers and through that Blind Faith we accepted Jesus based on the evidence provided to us, either personally for some or by scriptural evidence for others. It was both for me, though a lot of research brought me to fully develope full Trust in Christianity and in the Lord Jesus. It was a long journey to eliminate all doubt. I know personally I could never expect anyone to just accept things without finding proof for themselves. God Bless. (Sorry its bunched together, I have java off so my browsing is faster.)

Actually, I don't believe positively that there is a God. I am what is called an agnostic and ethical atheist, meaning I fall into two subsets of atheism:

I am an agnostic atheist in that I do not believe in God, but I do not deny the possibility of his existence either. This is different from the ontological atheist that affirms with certainty that there is no God. This is also different from the pure agnostic in that instead of being unsure, I think that it makes more sense to believe there isn't a God until I experience evidence to the contrary.

I am an ethical atheist (at least with respect to Yahweh) in that my view of morality does not jive with my current understanding of the one laid in the Bible. Ethical atheists don't believe in God, but even if he did exist, they would find themselves critical of how God runs things here on Earth, and thus would only be able to give him lip-service at best, but never to really love him or truly worship him.

Although these are my current standpoints, I like to think I am a fair person and a good skeptic. A good skeptic will actually look at everything the opposing side has to say from all angles before making a judgment, something I feel many atheists neglect to do. Therefore, I am endeavoring to read the entire Bible and study Christian history to find some way in which my current worldview might be questionable and possibly re-evaluate it. I feel this is the attitude of the true scientist. I cannot comfortably reject or accept Christianity until I have thoroughly studied scripture, Christian history, apologetics, and theology.

Upvote 0