How much should an expensive "Free Gift" cost the Recipient? (No tax jokes)

How much should a Free Gift Cost?

• 1 penny

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $100.00

• $1000.00

• A lifetime of slavery

• Their firstborn Child

• A Free Gift isn't Free, unless it comes Free of Charge.

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟797,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
If I buy an expensive Car for a friend, how much money can I charge the friend I am giving the Car to, and still declare the Car "A Free Gift"?

Depends on where your friend registers the car! As far as I know, in one state, at least, it is still required to be a sale, if only for $1, to transfer a title.

And then, you have to consider the cost. I've been given a car, absolutely free, but it cost me more than if I had bought a good one.

But, if you are talking theology, the gift of God (salvation) is absolutely free, but your life belongs to Christ. Funny thing is, if you try to keep your life you will lose it anyway, so in a way, the "cost" is not even directly associated with Salvation.

• Love
Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟92,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
But, if you are talking theology, the gift of God (salvation) is absolutely free, but your life belongs to Christ. Funny thing is, if you try to keep your life you will lose it anyway, so in a way, the "cost" is not even directly associated with Salvation.
I don't know if this thread is going to get much interaction, but would you permit me to "play the devil's advocate", while you pull your Full Armor of God on tightly... and go to battle with me, in scripture, as I take the part of a sinless doctrine believer?

• Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟797,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't know if this thread is going to get much interaction, but would you permit me to "play the devil's advocate", while you pull your Full Armor of God on tightly... and go to battle with me, in scripture, as I take the part of a sinless doctrine believer?
Have at it! En garde

• Love
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟92,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Have at it! En garde
Let's open small... (I'm getting in character) ...

Mark, If you love Jesus, you will obey his commandments. Jesus only ratified the blood sacrifice and long winded aspect of the Law, by his Death. The Stone 10 are still in effect. I sure hope you know that your salvation hinges on them. You are saved only if you continue keeping them out of Love for Jesus, I mean.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟797,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Let's open small... (I'm getting in character) ...

Mark, If you love Jesus, you will obey his commandments. Jesus only ratified the blood sacrifice and long winded aspect of the Law, by his Death. The Stone 10 are still in effect. I sure hope you know that your salvation hinges on them. You are saved only if you continue keeping them out of Love for Jesus, I mean.
Poorly stated, I think. My salvation hinges on God's choice. But true —if I don't keep his commandments I don't belong to him. But where are you going with this, in debating 'sinless doctrine' (post #3)?

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟92,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Poorly stated, I think. My salvation hinges on God's choice. But true —if I don't keep his commandments I don't belong to him. But where are you going with this, in debating 'sinless doctrine' (post #3)?
(Breaking character)

I wanted to see if Faith still had a place of strength within this community. It was my assumption that we would pull out many of the verses that exalt the work of God… in contrast to the failings of man.

I appreciate your participation, all is well.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟75,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
If I buy an expensive Car for a friend, how much money can I charge the friend I am giving the Car to, and still declare the Car "A Free Gift"?
If you buy a car then don't you pay the taxes when you buy the car? So the government already has their money.

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟616,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A car isn't a good analogy. They require too much constant upkeep (works). And they usually don't last very long. I've gone though 11 so far.

The real question I think is, do you want to keep the commandments, do good woks and bear fruit? Or do you want to break the commandments do bad works and bear thorns? If it's the former, then it really doesn't matter, does it?

• Haha
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟92,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
A car isn't a good analogy. They require too much constant upkeep (works). And they usually don't last very long. I've gone though 11 so far.

The real question I think is, do you want to keep the commandments, do good woks and bear fruit? Or do you want to break the commandments do bad works and bear thorns? If it's the former, then it really doesn't matter, does it?
I'm going to have to write a different OP. It's turning into tax jokes. Rotfl

• Haha
Upvote 0