Exodus 20:9-11 (Creation)

Xalith

Apr 6, 2015
✟19,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, in another thread, there's an off-topic discussion and I'd like to move it here.

It saddens me how many Christians think so highly of Man and his science that they think that we know better than God. Some people seek to allegorize Genesis 1 and Genesis 2, and say that God was speaking figuratively and that He didn't really mean what He said in Genesis.

Okay, fine.

But you wanna tell me why God, in Exodus 20:9-11 would tell Moses straight upfront that He created the Earth and everything on it in 6 days?

Here's the text for reference (KJV):

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

God straight up says "For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day".

God said this, to Moses, directly. He wasn't using allegory, He wasn't playing around, He said "Since I worked 6 days and rested the 7th, you're going to work 6 days and rest on the 7th also." (paraphrased).

So.... you either believe God or you don't.

If you're going to say that God created Life on Earth over millions of years, then that forces you to call Him a liar in Exodus 20:11. If you're going to say that God was telling the truth, that means Man is a liar.

I leave you with Paul's opinion on that:

Romans 3:4: God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
So, in another thread, there's an off-topic discussion and I'd like to move it here.

It saddens me how many Christians think so highly of Man and his science that they think that we know better than God. Some people seek to allegorize Genesis 1 and Genesis 2, and say that God was speaking figuratively and that He didn't really mean what He said in Genesis.

Okay, fine.

But you wanna tell me why God, in Exodus 20:9-11 would tell Moses straight upfront that He created the Earth and everything on it in 6 days?

Here's the text for reference (KJV):

God straight up says "For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day".

God said this, to Moses, directly. He wasn't using allegory, He wasn't playing around, He said "Since I worked 6 days and rested the 7th, you're going to work 6 days and rest on the 7th also." (paraphrased).

If you're going to say that God created Life on Earth over millions of years, then that forces you to call Him a liar in Exodus 20:11. If you're going to say that God was telling the truth, that means Man is a liar.

I leave you with Paul's opinion on that:

Romans 3:4: God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.
Well, it saddens me how so many fundamentalists think that they are the only game in town , that their interpretation of Scripture is the only viable one. To me, it seems more likely that God never intended the Bible to be an accurate geophysical witness. I know I pointed that out in just another post today. Maybe yours. In case you missed it, I believe God works like a carpenter, God works with the grain, not over and against it. God well knew he was working with a prescientific people. God well knew that it would make no sense to reveal to them advanced scientific truth. They wouldn't have known what to do with it. Expecting God to have done that, would be like expecting God to give Columbus a nuclear sub and say here are the keys, have at it. Poor Christ wouldn't have know what to do wit it. So again, I think it's sad the way teh Bible Belt seems to think that it has the only viable understanding of how God relates to Scripture.

Upvote 0

Xalith

Apr 6, 2015
✟19,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, it saddens me how so many fundamentalists think that they are the only game in town , that their interpretation of Scripture is the only viable one. To me, it seems more likely that God never intended the Bible to be an accurate geophysical witness. I know I pointed that out in just another post today. Maybe yours. In case you missed it, I believe God works like a carpenter, God works with the grain, not over and against it. God well knew he was working with a prescientific people. God well knew that it would make no sense to reveal to them advanced scientific truth. They wouldn't have known what to do with it. Expecting God to have done that, would be like expecting God to give Columbus a nuclear sub and say here are the keys, have at it. Poor Christ wouldn't have know what to do wit it. So again, I think it's sad the way teh Bible Belt seems to think that it has the only viable understanding of how God relates to Scripture.

So you're saying God would lie to Moses and tell Moses that He did it in 6 days when He (as you believe) didn't?

You do understand what you're implying, right?

You're implying that God would sin (Lying is a sin). You're implying that God is not Truth.

I'll warn you: that's a rather strong blasphemy against God. I'd seriously consider repenting. I'm sure He would forgive you, because you probably don't realize what you're saying.

Reactions: Teslafied
Upvote 0

ClothedInGrace

Soli Deo Gloria
Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
✟50,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So you're saying God would lie to Moses and tell Moses that He did it in 6 days when He (as you believe) didn't?

You do understand what you're implying, right?

You're implying that God would sin (Lying is a sin). You're implying that God is not Truth.
Many on this forum don't believe the scriptures like you and I do; their authority is always in something else.

Upvote 0

Xalith

Apr 6, 2015
✟19,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many on this forum don't believe the scriptures like you and I do; their authority is always in something else.

I always cringe when people do that. It's borderline blasphemy because some of these things, they are basically accusing God of lying or intentionally misleading us.

But I will say that it DOES point out who loves God and believes in His Word, and who does not.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It saddens me how many Christians think so highly of Man and his science that they think that we know better than God. Some people seek to allegorize Genesis 1 and Genesis 2, and say that God was speaking figuratively and that He didn't really mean what He said in Genesis.Okay, fine.But you wanna tell me why God, in Exodus 20:9-11 would tell Moses straight upfront that He created the Earth and everything on it in 6 days?

I appreciate your sadness, but I was a young earth creationist for a number of years
until I followed Henry Morris suggestion to read the scriptures plainly.

Jesus turned water into wine. A wine taster said "the wine was finely aged" in so many words.
So, what we have is all the signs of "age".
You will find all the signs of "age" in Genesis as well.
Man was even made from dirt....not manna from heaven.
So scientists of today match the scriptures when they say the earth is old.

So stop whining about the "millions of years".
The claim of an old earth matches the story of the wine exactly.

The six days told in scripture is strictly a matter of faith.
If we could back it up with science, it wouldn't be faith, would it.

28Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"29Jesus said to him, "Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed."

Blessed are they who did not see
a 6 day creation happen
and yet believed.

doubting-thomas-clipart-1.gif

Upvote 0

ClothedInGrace

Soli Deo Gloria
Supporter
Jun 9, 2015
✟50,101.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I appreciate your sadness, but I was a young earth creationist for a number of years

Jesus turned water into wine. A wine taster said "the wine was finely aged" in so many words.

28Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"29Jesus said to him, "Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed."

a 6 day creation happen
and yet believed.

The story of Jesus turning water into good tasting wine (which is usually older) has nothing to do with the earth's age according to the Bible. If God said He made the Earth and everything in it in six days then that is the truth. You say that we are blessed for believing that, so why don't you? Why do you believe the Earth is older than God says it is?

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe the Bible Belt does a little more in depth study of the scriptures.

JPYL-TIC

Upvote 0

Xalith

Apr 6, 2015
✟19,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

a 6 day creation happen
and yet believed.

So what exactly are you saying, then? That God made it in 6 days, but He made it so that it looked old? Or He supernaturally aged or sped up time or something along those lines?

Either way, God said it, I believe it. We worship a God of Truth, and Man lives not on bread alone, but by Every Word that proceeds from the Mouth of God. God said He did it in 6 days, that means He did it in 6 days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

4x4toy

Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

a 6 day creation happen
and yet believe

Jesus turned the water into wine in an instant , right ? I mean it was water put in , then it was wine when they drew some out ..

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Dang Hoghead , Why are you so sad ? Read some of your posts , they can be quite comical ...

Reactions: Teslafied
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus turned the water into wine in an instant , right ? I mean it was water put in , then it was wine when they drew some out ..

And it seemed to be "aged" wine.
So the scriptures match scientists saying the earth is old.
It's not a problem, and it doesn't crumble the foundations
of Christianity.

mini_secao.php

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The story of Jesus turning water into good tasting wine (which is usually older) has nothing to do with the earth's age according to the Bible. If God said He made the Earth and everything in it in six days then that is the truth. You say that we are blessed for believing that, so why don't you? Why do you believe the Earth is older than God says it is?

I do believe the cosmos was created in 6 days, and just like the wine,
I have no reason to object if it gives every indication of being aged.
Scripture foretells that would happen.

Upvote 0

Xalith

Apr 6, 2015
✟19,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do believe the cosmos was created in 6 days, and just like the wine,
I have no reason to object if it gives every indication of being aged.
Scripture foretells that would happen.

The problem is, though, is that you get people who refuse to believe, and they're basically calling God a liar when God says He did it in 6 days.

That's what the whole subject of this post is about: If God said He did it in 6 days and someone says He didn't, they're blaspheming God by calling Him a liar.

One can wriggle around with allegorizing Genesis, but the problem with that, is that they will run into a brick wall in Exodus 20 when God straight up says He did it in 6 days and does not allow any leeway in metaphors or allegory and did not use poetic language.

EDIT: And BTW, another good point to make, is that Adam was probably in his 20s when God made him. I doubt God made Adam a newborn infant.

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I believe it on faith, and have no need to justify it with science.
That would defeat God's calling for faith.

Faith is Being Sure
2For by it the men of old gained approval. 3By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible.

Upvote 0

Xalith

Apr 6, 2015
✟19,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe it on faith, and have no need to justify it with science.
That would defeat God's calling for faith.

Faith is Being Sure
2For by it the men of old gained approval. 3By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things which are visible.

That's the only way one can believe in anything the Bible says.

We are saved by faith alone through grace alone. No faith = no salvation.

Upvote 0

Xalith

Apr 6, 2015
✟19,943.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would also like to add (and apologize for the double post, but this is a completely different point), is that allowing yourself to doubt the Bible and it's inerrancy and authenticity opens doors to Satan to wriggle his way in there.

If Satan can get you to doubt the Bible (aka God's Word) in one place, then in the tiny little gears in your mind, he might be able to take that millimeter a little further and stretch it into half a centimeter and get you to doubt something else in the Bible and if he can insert a tiny little pry bar in there and stretch it to a couple centimeters, he might get you to doubt something else...

If you let this continue, awhile down the line, you start flirting with apostasy.

Doubting the Bible is a dangerous, dangerous thing.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The story of Jesus turning water into good tasting wine (which is usually older) has nothing to do with the earth's age according to the Bible.

The Bible makes no mention of the age of the earth. Old or new testament. All major
tenants of Christianity are covered from multiple authors, in different ways, correct?

Upvote 0